Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the absolute worst ship?

Shipping_Trash

SoarinDash is awful cause it's basically only popular as a reaction to all the Yuri shipping with Rainbow Dash from people who dislike that kind of thing. Not based on any actual interaction or anything like that.

I rather dislike AppleDash as well, but that's mostly just cause i think it's really really boring (and more honestly because Im a pretty hardcore Rarijack shipper and they can't exactly co-exist) 

• Brohoof 1

The Titanic was a pretty bad ship.....sank after only one iceberg...LAAAAME....

Oh you meant "Ship", not ship........id have to choose Spike X Discord.... I don't think its possible to rob the cradle as hard as this ship does.....

• Brohoof 1

worst real life ship= the titanic
worst show ship is twilight with flash, because flash was only made to be arm candy he never was made to be a good character and I think twilight deserves more then that

That is rather hard to say considering all ships have their ups and downs like regular relationships. But my most hated one has to be... ummm... Flashlight. I'd hate for anyone that does like this ship to hear it but, this ship is nonsense. Twilight is supposed to be the last of the main six to actually have a love interest! Besides she has too much princess work to actually be worrying about love. That is kinda Princess Cadence's job after all

• Brohoof 1

Spike x Anything. At least, anything that I have seen thus far. Most ships I have seen are either one where Spike is too young or, and this is most of them, ones where it is not even close to the same species. I don't see the point. 

• Brohoof 1

>worst ship

The pony Titanic.

Blast! someone beat me to it XD

(although the actual worst ship is that one scoots and sweetie made from newspaper. Such a terrible ship...)

Edited by Malinter

Applejack x Spike or Rarity x Spike is horrible, if fact spike with ANY pony is weird af. He is a BABY, him being shipped with any adult pony makes me feel sick. 

Also Fluttershy x Bigmac would never work purely because they'd be too shy to even talk to each other.

• Brohoof 2

Just about any ship ( I never really understood why ppl like shipping characters so much), but if I had to choose, than Twily x Flash has to be the worst.

As for other ships that suck: FlashLight, FlutterMac, SoarinJack, DumbellDash(seriously he was a huge dick to her, why do people ship this?)

Wait...  Did I just...

post-26550-0-74523800-1459239993.png

Yeah.  Yeah I did.  People actually ship this obnoxious shithead...

post-26550-0-99777600-1459240180.png

(I think it's worth noting that the MLP Wiki says his name is spelled Dumb-Bell; so his name is literally "dumb.")

With...  Well, with anyone would have been bad enough.  But earnestly shipping him, in particular, with Rainbow Dash is especially "WTF?"-inducing.  I get that there's a dearth of decent, worthwhile male characters in MLP, but this has got to be bottom-of-the-barrel scraping.

All right, SoarinDash; I have to move you down my list of most-hated ships now.

• Brohoof 1

Flash x Twilight would be the worst one for me because it directly opposes my favorite ship, Sunset x Twilight. That, and the fact that Flash has zero personality and so isn't fit to date a cereal box, let alone the main main character of the show.

-Rainbow Dash x Sorin

-Any incest shipping

-Spike x any of the CMC

-FlutterCord

-FlashLight

I have reasons for disliking each of them, but putting them on here would mean this wouldn't get posted for another few hours!

• Brohoof 2

Also, I call pedophilia for child Spike with Rarity.

Here's something creepier: Spike x (S5) Starlight Glimmer

And how considerate of you to write "child Spike" instead of just Spike. The shipping fan art depicting him clearly as a grown-up are all fine.

I'm not really a part of the shipping world, but I can't stand Sparity, or any canon Spike (as posted above, I'm referring to his current age in the show) X adult pony ships. To me, Spike is a kid and I just can't wrap my head around it.

Edited by Quartzy
  • Brohoof 1

LAPIDOT, LAPISPER, AND ANYTHING ELSE INVOLVING LAPIS WITH ANYONE BESIDES STEVEN.

for this? Flash/anyone. His human counterpart was used like a doll for popularity. His pony version only guards stuff and we've all seen how effective those guards are.

I'm pretty free when it comes to ships I like. I'm into Polyamorous shipping actually. 

Ships I don't like at all are the ones that have zero ground to stand on.

Discord x Celestia. There is nothing there. At all. Nothing. Period. Even the writers are saying that. There is literally more chemistry between Discord and the Smooze. Same thing with Discord and Pinkie, the guy literally goes out of his way to avoid her in some episodes.

FlutterMac. I never understood this ship. They have next to no screen time together what so ever. 

Soarin/Dash. Same reason as FlutterMac, next to no screen time what so ever, and what is there doesn't allude to anything worth shipping.

Flash x Anything. Until he grows a character the only ship he gets is with his right hand.

Other than that I'm pretty chill with most any ship, especially if the fic/art is adorable enough.  

• Brohoof 2

All ships.

Precisely

I feel like shipping is majorly missing the point.

When you have a show where platonic friendships are celebrated, and are the focus, why bring romance into it?

You have romance for pretty much every other series.  

Dive into the friendships!  Don't miss out!

• Brohoof 5

Coming from a writer's perspective . . . It's kind of judgmental to call a ship "good" or "bad." Based on surface similarities and differences, yes, there are certain ships that work out better than others, and there are ships that don't work out at all. In fact, based on a character study I did some time ago, the absolute worst ship according to this definition (within the mane 6) is almost anyone × Pinkie.

*ducks flying tomatoes*

But there really is no basis upon which to say that a ship has "nothing to go off of" or could "never ever work." Equally, there is no basis upon which to say "opposites attract" or "this pair was made for each other." The fact is, based on the show canon alone, there are very few ships/romances/crushes that are even remotely plausible. The only ones that have any sort of canon basis are Big Macintosh × Marble Pie, Twilight × Flash Sentry (human), Spike → Rarity (note the arrow), and any-stallion-she-happens-to-charm → Rarity (might have missed a few). And all those cannot really be called "ships" or "romances" in any sense of the word. At most, they're suggestions. By the very nature of the show itself, a "My Little Pony ship," based on canon alone, is impossible. So, based on this definition, if you said the absolute worst ship was "all the ships," you'd be completely right. And this is true of almost every fandom out there.

I'm not going to get into adding consensus fanon into this equation and re-evaluating best and worst ships because then I'd be getting into what "consensus" means. Whatever the case, fanon development is necessary and required for any ship to be considered plausible, and within any narrative, this fanon development far outstrips any canon development the show could have possibly conceived. Flash Sentry × Twilight, Fluttershy × Big Macintosh, Discord × Celestia, all of these ships are possible with enough development, and with the right shipping goggles and narrative development, connections can be made, and just about every ship is possible. Heck, I've seen Tom × Bloomberg ships before! That's the level of development we're talking about.

I'm not saying that preconceived notions can't color your perception of certain ships. We all have them. If we used a popularity contest to answer the question, then the absolute worst ship, among the Mane 6, is Pinkie × Rarity. What I am asking is not to let those preconceived notions prevent you from enjoying any well-written ship from someone who spent the time to develop it. Any ship can be done well.

So, at this point, I've provided three answers to the question "What is the absolute worst ship?" They all come from various places, but none from my own mind. It should be clear at this point what my answer to this question is, though I will note that my answer is not unbiased—I am a writer, after all. But to write the answer out in words, the absolute worst ship is the one that the author doesn't care to develop.

Whew. PSA over. Tl;dr: There are a lot of answers, and all of them are wrong.

~T

• Brohoof 2