Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you could give drawing tips to your younger self, what would you say?

Vulcan

Remember to actually LOOK at how the figures in that drawing book are made, stick figures aren't really that good.  Also, if you stop and think about what eyes you're envisioning, it helps tremendously.  (It took me years to figure out I like drawing characters with big eyes)

I'd say "Just stop. It's never going to go anywhere. You are never going to be able to draw like what's in your mind. Focus on practicing music instead!".

Don't stress about finding a style right away - just go with it, and do what comes naturally. 

Don't feel like you have to draw anime - there's more than just that.

Stop comparing yourself so much to others - you're going at your own pace and that's okay.

Practice!

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing very good for a starter! Keep practicing that anatomy and experiment around, but most importantly, just have fun with it!"

I wasn't too proud of what I did back then and didn't have many encouraging words for myself, so, something like this would've been quite helpful and motivating to hear. :catface:

• Brohoof 1

Stop wasting time and actually draw the bloody thing. I have so many unfinished drawings, and a lot of them were started in HS >.<

Beyond that, I'd probably say to try and branch out, both in terms of mediums ( I really loved oil paints in my art classes, but have never bought my own) and variety of drawings (similar poses, characters, styles of drawing, etc.). 

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

*Grabs Coffee's tablet pencil from a year ago*

*hands ruler*

Okay... It's not enough to eyeball the proportions.... You're making me cringe at thine measurements D: 

Speaking of eyeballs... Remember how you always seem to be having trouble with eyes in 3/4?...same solution!... Grab a ruler... And actually measure out the not only the height.... But the width of every circle... And where it stands within the head circle (The Hircle?).... You'll notice that your estimates are way off :/

I wonder if future Coffee will quote me critiquing my  own  stuff  o_o I wish I could just read them now so I wouldn't have to stumble upon them by chance. 

Nah, I wouldn't give myself advice at all. I don't really care about my drawing skills much:D

It would be nice if you didn't burn all you art work.  I know, I know, it looks terrible but please keep it.  Also, try practicing drawing clothing more, believe me when I say that you'll have a hard time with drawing clothes in your future.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Draw objects in/from real life. It's nice to be creative, but it's also nice to have near-muscle memory on the way certain things interact.

2. You should learn to shade lol.

3. It's alright to copy other peoples' work if you're practicing. Also, try new styles!

• 3 months later...

I'd tell myself: "Don't ever give up on your drawings, keep drawing when you're not happy with them too. Don't give up and don't ever put too much pressure on yourself to be better than you are, because you'll get there eventually anyways so don't you worry about it now. Keep practicing and don't tell yourself you're bad. Your art is good as it is, you're doing good and you will be improving everytime you draw something new. Learn from experience."

I'm actually quite happy with how I drew when I was a child.. I've always been creative, trying different styles, aquarelle, ink, ball pen, different shadings, angles, poses, colors, animals, humans, everything. I've been improving every year since I started drawing when I was 3 years old. I'm proud of myself and I never stopped drawing through those years.

Edited by darkwingmare

Just try to draw hands properly instead of hiding the hands behind the characters' backs every time. Everyone will notice it when you're just too lazy to draw those hands! And also don't keep using that anime style - it doesn't look good and you'll be better off with your own style.

I'd tell myself to branch out. I was way too hung up on the idea of drawing people (in that I thought drawing anything other than people was boring). I mostly draw objects and animals now and I wish I'd let myself draw those sooner.

Plus I'd tell my younger self - or even my past self, from like, 3 seconds ago - that it's okay to make mistakes. I had/have too many sketchbooks that I haven't used, pencils/pens/paints/whatever I haven't opened, all because I'm scared to make mistakes. I'm mostly a digital artist now but it's a shame to think about how much I could've (or can) accomplish if I'd just put my fear aside and let myself make something, even if was a mess.

"Keep drawing while you still feel like it, you're not gonna have the time or motivation later."

"Use some fucking references, for the love of all that is good."

"Oh my god, will you just put down some boxes first? You'll turn them into curves later."

"Stop pressing the fuck out of your pencil, it's gonna be impossible to erase."

"Making errors? that's fine. Just keep trying - and use references."

"Oh, you made a nose. Good job! Now, to make one that looks like a nose."

"Everything doesn't have to be detailed to the point of photorealism. Make a cartoony thing, people can appreciate it more easily."

"I said use some fuckin references, you little dipshit!"