Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Best Video Game Soundtracks

Discordian

I have quite a few series of which I really like their music. I'll list them and a few favorites.

The Legend of Zelda:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P2HNic7JjI

(Majora's Mask)

(A Link To The Past)

Kingdom Hearts:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyAl7WOM8FQ

(Kingdom Hearts II)

Traverse Town (RE: Chain of Memories version)

Golden Sun:

Lemurian Ruins (The Lost Age)

Vale

Venus Lighthouse

There are many other series that I love the music from but this is what I'll post for now. =P

Why the Kirby series has not been mentioned yet when it has some of the best music out of all of Nintendo's first parties is beyond me.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKFchc0f6BI

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQUgXEZuM18

And

Also, Brawl was full of kick-flank remixes.

• 1 month later...

I'll be the multiple person to mention Akira Yamaoka. Hans Zimmer has performed some excellent pieces too. Additionally, Jeremy Soule of Elder Scrolls III to IV fame. Otherwise, I'm not cognizant of any other composers for video games, though when I played Runescape, I adored the music on it.

The soundtrack to the first Silent Hill is a rather haunting piece and my favourite overall album, tied with Imaginaerum.

post-825-0-35085500-1325497976_thumb.png

I'm gonna have to throw in this:

Motoi Sakuraba is the best composer for video games ever. EVER!

He did games such as:

Star Ocean series (As well as the Star Ocean 2 anime)

Eternal Sonata

Resonance of Fate

Tales Of series

Golden Sun

Baten Kaitos series

Guile’s Theme from Street Fighter; It goes with everything!

Well, some of the games that have left an impression on me music wise would have to include:

• Pretty much the entire fire emblem series.
  • Super meat boy (when I wasn't yelling my head off at the screen).
  • The sailing music from The legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
  • The little victory tune from Final Fantasy VII.
  • The jungle levels from the original Crash Bandicoot!
  • The background music to Age of Empires 2.
  • Brohoof 1

video game soundtracks are usually top notch in quality production. i don't think i've played a single game and not enjoyed the music.

however, said soundtracks are usually created just to fit the mood of the game, thus, outside of the game, i can find several ones to be rather lackluster to listen to.

however, there are several soundtracks that i just simply adore:

• i was shocked the first time i heard Earthbound's music. i mean literally. i had never, ever in my life been literally stunned at the quality of a game. in case of the soundtrack, it's wonderfully varied, there are several differently composed tracks for different enemy enounters, which makes battles so much more fun to engage in. there are several lulzworthy tunes, awe-inspiring ones, and then there's the creepy ambient ones which gives me goosebumps all over. that a game can reflect so many different emotions just with the help of its music is stunning, imo.
  • SIlent Hill's different soundtracks i also have a soft spot for. i am a huge fan of grimdark, and even though i have never played any of the games, the soundtracks hit just the right spot for me. dark ambience galore, these games has the best dark ambient music i have ever heard, to the point that i really want to get a complete soundtrack box of the games. i can't begin to wonder how well it would sound like coupled with Silent Hill's grimdark atomsphere itself.
  • Unreal's and Tournament's soundtracks. 2 of my absolute favorite games ever, and for a number of reasons. the gameplay and the atmosphere of those games are simply unmatched of anything else, and on top of that, they both have superb soundtracks to go with them. without these soundtracks to each of the games, the games would of feel a lot more empty and dull to play. they just seem to... tick with me. possibly because they have a lot in common with electronic music; hell, they ARE electronic music. that's prolly why they tick with me so well, my subconscious was well aware at how good these soundtracks were, even if i had no idea what electronic music was back then.
also, my head automatically plays this tune when it's dark and i am sneaking about: