Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Have you ever played a Pokemon game with just ONE Pokemon TYPE?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

This to me is something I am very curious of. In Pokemon, everyone has their playstyles. Whether we only use our favorite Pokemon, or use random ones that we encounter, everyone goes about the games in their own way. However, one thing I don't hear very often, is the use of only one type of Pokemon throughout the game. While the game definitely encourages players to use many different Pokemon types, there is the possibility of going through the game while only using one, but not many people seem to do that. I haven't done it either. 

You could possibly have a team like this!

Hall-of-Fame-pokemon-30772144-478-319.jp

So my question to you all is this, have you have done this? Have you ever gone through a Pokemon game with just one type of Pokemon?/ Have you ever considered doing it? If you would do it, what type would you prefer? Any Pokemon in this team? By types, I mean like Water, Rock, Electric, etc. 

Discuss!

Tried going through Gen 3 (Ruby) with all zigzagoons, I got frustrated, so I eventually just trained my Torchick instead and only used Torchick, which allowed me to beat the entire game.

You could possibly have a team like this!

Now that I think about it...so long as each Magikarp learns flail and holds a focus sash, that's actually quite possible o_O

as for the topic at hand, I believe completing the game using only one type might prove to be difficult or likely impossible as you'd need pokemon to learn the HMs to progress...I don't think there's a game where you could possibly "naturally" find pokemon on your Journey that would be both same type AND fulfill you HM requirements. 

I'd suppose you could get a wingull and train it to pelliper so you could get both Surf and Fly....You could possibly get an all water team that can learn the other HMs, but I do not believe you will be able to capture them "before" you need the HM to continue.

Alternatively , You could have an all normal team with Smeargle slaves...but you'd have to inbox your starter as soon as you capture the first Rat/HM slave pokemon ...since they're usually normal type.

Edited by Vulcan

Now that I think about it...so long as each Magikarp learns flail and holds a focus sash, that's actually quite possible o_O

as for the topic at hand, I believe completing the game using only one type might prove to be difficult or likely impossible as you'd need pokemon to learn the HMs to progress...I don't think there's a game where you could possibly "naturally" find pokemon on your Journey that would be both same type AND fulfill you HM requirements. 

I'd suppose you could get a wingull and train it to pelliper so you could get both Surf and Fly....You could possibly get an all water team that can learn the other HMs, but I do not believe you will be able to capture them "before" you need the HM to continue.

Alternatively , You could have an all normal team with Smeargle slaves...but you'd have to inbox your starter as soon as you capture the first Rat/HM slave pokemon ...since they're usually normal type.

That is true. I suppose one would have to get HM Pokemon to use for just that purpose, but they wouldn't have to use them in battle. 

Though this brings up an interesting point, how did trainers late in the games progress? Many of them use only one type of Pokemon, so it makes one wonder how they got that far. XD 

never have tried it but i did wonder and also which type is best use? i would think dragon type is best for Red, Blue and Yellow games. on wait there only 3 dragon Pokemon in those versions oh well have six Dragonites on 1 team.

Though this brings up an interesting point, how did trainers late in the games progress? Many of them use only one type of Pokemon, so it makes one wonder how they got that far. XD 

I believe it's because they didn't start at pallet town (or any other starting town) , they  likely just live there or at least somewhere nearby.

Yes, albeit inadvertently I made an all poison pokemon team once in I don't remember if I was Pokemon Red or Blue but one of those. 

You know, I've never did this before but I know it's a challenge.

It's the monotype challenge or gym leader challenge. You may only use one type of Pokémon, and you may replicate a gym leader from the game you're playing. Dual type pokemon and HM slaves are allowed. But you can't use an HM slave in battle.

I believe that's all I wanted to say.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say that I have ever gone ahead and played any of the core Pokemon games like this. I have heard stories of people doing it and getting through the game just fine- granted it was difficult at times. I don't think that would ever play the games like this because I prefer to have a a wide variety of ttpes in my team.

Of course I don't do that. Why? I'm a man with standards. Yes, the single-player gameplay is ridiculously easy and it requires no thought at all. But you can at least try and get some challenge out of the game by training a team of six under-levelled Pokemon, refusing to grind, and using strategy and type advantages to overcome stronger opponents! Not all of us enjoy the feeling of being bulldozers knocking over chessboards.

(edited)

When it comes to single type runs, I did a mono normal type run and a King and Queen run which is a run with just Nidoqueen and Nidoking.  

The normal type run was a lot of fun since it lead to some fun combinations, I did it on a rom though rather than a cartridge since it made it a lot easier to obtain the Pokemon I wanted.  My team was Ursaring, Granbull, Kangaskhan, Clefable, Staraptor (Normal/flying so it counts) and Girafarig. I had others I switched in and out that were also normal types like Stantler but it worked out very well I think.  The game I ran through was Pearl version.

I did the Nidoqueen and Nidoking run with a fire red version, those two became some of my favorites after that. 

Edited by Seraph