Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ashen Pathfinder

Just who are the Umbrum; you ask? Well, they happen to be these pieces of nightmare fuel that are Sombra's race; if you believe the comics.

full.jpg

I had initially avoided making a fan club dedicated to them as there seemed to be a lack of fanart; but thankfully that seems to be changing. So please; share away, have fun, and forum rules apply!

1453424707.luvythicus_zazaponycomm02fa.p

Just imagine the umbrum as part of Sombra's army. <3

• Brohoof 5

Okay, if Sombra = Sauron, then does that mean Rabia = Morgoth?

In a sense I believe that would work, though I'm not sure if Rabia really had the cunning that Morgoth had...then again Morgoth eventually lost in most if not all major wars he was in, and is destined to lose Dagor Dagoroth, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Ugh, if only Siege was fleshed out more. It needs a novel treatment, IMO.

In a sense I believe that would work, though I'm not sure if Rabia really had the cunning that Morgoth had...then again Morgoth eventually lost in most if not all major wars he was in, and is destined to lose Dagor Dagoroth, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I don't find Rabia to be all too much like Morgoth nor Sombra to be like Sauron. Not after the comics. Sure, Sombra is presented to us in a Sauron like manner first time around, during the Crystal Empire episode, however, in the comics, we are given his reasons, which was not shown with Sauron. 

This is why I like to compare Sombra to Arthas from WoW :) :) 

That's why I guess Rabia would be Ner'zhul :P

• Brohoof 1

Why not write a fanfic of your own?

• Brohoof 1

I don't find Rabia to be all too much like Morgoth nor Sombra to be like Sauron. Not after the comics. Sure, Sombra is presented to us in a Sauron like manner first time around, during the Crystal Empire episode, however, in the comics, we are given his reasons, which was not shown with Sauron. 

This is why I like to compare Sombra to Arthas from WoW :) :)

That's why I guess Rabia would be Ner'zhul :P

Fair points; to be honest Rabia's competence as a villain is somewhat questionable towards the end of the arc. Granted still scary as hell, and they almost had the Equestrians beat. XD

I'm familiar with the comparison to Arthas; though never having played WoW I can't comment too much on that. ^^; 

I've considered it. If I get the time I'd like to make an outline and just go from there.

• Brohoof 1

Fair points; to be honest Rabia's competence as a villain is somewhat questionable towards the end of the arc. Granted still scary as hell, and they almost had the Equestrians beat. XD   I'm familiar with the comparison to Arthas; though never having played WoW I can't comment too much on that. ^^; 

In terms of scariness, I guess Rabia could be seen as Kiljaeden, the creator of Ner'zhul as the Lich King. 

I don't play much WoW either, but I played Warcraft 3, that had the whole Arthas storyline set up for me. I find a lot of similarities between Arthas and Sombra. 

Both lose what they care about most (their love) due to the path of evil, both become evil for the wrong reasons (Sombra, because everybody saw him as a monster, including he himself. Arthas wanted to save his people, but gave up his soul to do so). Both "slew" the monarchs of the ruling kingdom (Arthas murdered his own father, as the voices in his head commanded him to do so, his father was the king. Sombra "killed" the princess of the Crystal Empire). So yeah :T. Both kinda have a tragic story. The difference being, Arthas does not get a happy ending :(

• Brohoof 1

In terms of scariness, I guess Rabia could be seen as Kiljaeden, the creator of Ner'zhul as the Lich King. 

I don't play much WoW either, but I played Warcraft 3, that had the whole Arthas storyline set up for me. I find a lot of similarities between Arthas and Sombra. 

Both lose what they care about most (their love) due to the path of evil, both become evil for the wrong reasons (Sombra, because everybody saw him as monsters, including he himself. Arthas wanted to save his people, but gave up his soul to do so). Both "slew" the monarchs of the ruling kingdom (Arthas murdered his own father, as the voices in his head commended him to do so. Sombra "killed" the princess of the Crystal Empire). So yeah :T. Both kinda have a tragic story. The difference being, Arthas does not get a happy ending :(

This would be an interesting character to read on. :)

In any case if we go by the comics his character has developed away from the Sauron-esque villain to one that is more relatable; not a bad thing at all. :)

• Brohoof 1

Before I head off to bed I thought I would leave you with some more wonderful fan art. ;)

umbrum___from_shadow_and_smoke_by_inuhos

Source: http://inuhoshi-to-darkpen.deviantart.com/art/Umbrum-From-Shadow-and-Smoke-581786803

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

Adding this hear as I liked the contrast from the Umbrum that Sombra knew, and how the Umbrum deceived Radiant Hope.

broken_hearts_and_shattered_hopes_by_sko

• Brohoof 3

What about the IDW comic Fiendship is magic number 1 Sombra Rex where it talks about Sombra before becoming an evil villain oh never mind I didn't see the name hehehe

So Umbrums are creatures of smoke and darkness so why is his mother a giant red crystal

What about the IDW comic Fiendship is magic number 1 Sombra Rex where it talks about Sombra before becoming an evil villain oh never mind I didn't see the name hehehe

So Umbrums are creatures of smoke and darkness so why is his mother a giant red crystal

That reminds me: What was with the whole "Sombra Rex" thing, anyway?

P.S.: The crystal was just her communication device, not actually her.

It was about Sombra as a colt found in the harsh outskirts of the CE and it was basically saying how he became the evil pony we know and love. and he became evil just because he couldn't go to The Crystal Faire, he became sick and each year that passed the sickness grew till he, how can I put it shattered into darkness and smoke till Radiant Hope saved him. and with the new of Radiant Hope leaving for her job as a nurse set Sombra to the outskirts where he met his "mother" and he turned evil stealing the crystal heart and killing Princess Amore, which brings us to season 3 parts 1 and 2.

• Brohoof 1

It was about Sombra as a colt found in the harsh outskirts of the CE and it was basically saying how he became the evil pony we know and love. and he became evil just because he couldn't go to The Crystal Faire, he became sick and each year that passed the sickness grew till he, how can I put it shattered into darkness and smoke till Radiant Hope saved him. and with the new of Radiant Hope leaving for her job as a nurse set Sombra to the outskirts where he met his "mother" and he turned evil stealing the crystal heart and killing Princess Amore, which brings us to season 3 parts 1 and 2.

I know all that.

I was actually just asking about the word "Rex" in the title -- what gives?

I know all that.

well considering that the mane covers for the 5 week fiend series I'm guessing its referring to a king of british history but I dunno

Adding this hear as I liked the contrast from the Umbrum that Sombra knew, and how the Umbrum deceived Radiant Hope.

sig-4598256.broken_hearts_and_shattered_

wait so theres two kinds of umbrum

everytime I think of the word umbrum I think of the tv show Brum

Correct; the red crystal is essentially how the Umbrum (or Rabia specifically, IIRC?) communicated to Sombra from where they were banished.

I know all that.

Rex is actually Latin for King. :)

wait so theres two kinds of umbrum

No, there is only one kind of Umbrum. The forms you see on the right are them disguised as fairies so they could trick Radiant Hope into reviving Sombra.

@PathfinderCS: No, there is only one kind of Umbrum. The forms you see on the right are them disguised as fairies so they could trick Radiant Hope into reviving Sombra.

Kinda reminds me of a character I created called Freakuency but different

• 4 weeks later...

True. They also missed the opportunity to have Rabia gloat that the Umbrum's freedom wouldn't have been possible without Twilight's help (i.e. zapping Radiant Hope).

I'd like to know why no one has done that, myself.

• Brohoof 1

True. They also missed the opportunity to have Rabia gloat that the Umbrum's freedom wouldn't have been possible without Twilight's help (i.e. zapping Radiant Hope).

That's one thing I really noticed that really set Sombra apart from the other Umbrum. Even though Rabia didn't gloat about that specific thing, she was still gloating in general. However Sombra, being genre savy as he is, never gloated nor got overconfident. It's a marked contrast.

That's one thing I really noticed that really set Sombra apart from the other Umbrum. Even though Rabia didn't gloat about that specific thing, she was still gloating in general. However Sombra, being genre savy as he is, never gloated nor got overconfident. It's a marked contrast.

Goes to show that Sombra was the smart one.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta love the umbrum; stuff of nightmares. <3

large.png

• Brohoof 2