Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike?

CastletonSnob

I view Spike as an absolutely wonderful support character that just hasn't been fully utilized as of late, though the season 6 premiere has given me hope for the little dragon. He is a character that, when being in the forefront, seems to only have his negative aspects shown, whereas when he is being with another character, his positive parts shine through. This is why I think he needs to have Starlight has a good and close friend, then he will shine even more. 

• Brohoof 1

I view Spike as an absolutely wonderful support character that just hasn't been fully utilized as of late, though the season 6 premiere has given me hope for the little dragon. He is a character that, when being in the forefront, seems to only have his negative aspects shown, whereas when he is being with another character, his positive parts shine through. This is why I think he needs to have Starlight has a good and close friend, then he will shine even more. 

Should he not get any more episodes?

Should he not get any more episodes?

For him specifically? Sadly no, if the writers keep treating him like they have been lightly when he is in the limelight. The past two seasons haven't been kind to Spike because of those types of episodes. I really don't know why they can't seem to make him work in his own episodes, but for now, I think he should be a good support character.

• Brohoof 2

For him specifically? Sadly no, if the writers keep treating him like they have been lightly when he is in the limelight. The past two seasons haven't been kind to Spike because of those types of episodes. I really don't know why they can't seem to make him work in his own episodes, but for now, I think he should be a good support character.

So, he should get episodes only if they can write him well.

So, he should get episodes only if they can write him well.

Basically. Princess Spike was an example of how to do him absolutely horribly because they only focused on his negative aspects and I feel like that's all they would do to him in his own episodes, so they should hold off on those until they write him in a more positive light. 

• Brohoof 3

I dunno why people say all his episodes were bad! Alot of his episodes were actually good! Owl's Well That Ends Well was his first episode, and him getting jealous of Owlowisious was actually a pretty good story, because it shows how much he cares for Twilight and how much he doesn't wanna be replaced. Secret of my Excess was a really good episode too, since we get to see a side of Spike he never even noticed before, and it gave even the dragons some development. Dragon Quest, I think that episode was just a prologue to Spike's relationship with the dragons, and the arc is going to continue on later this season.

Spike at Your Service was pretty much a weak episode though. I mean, it was a good idea to have Spike and Applejack have an episode together, and Spike owing Applejack a life debt was pretty interesting! But the fact that he sucked at doing chores was really out of character for him. Spike is actually good at doing chores! If he wasn't making a mess during that episode, then it would've been much better. Just for Sidekicks was pretty good, but mostly because it was Spike with the CMCs and I always wanted to see that!

Every episode he had in season 4 was good in my opinion. I know alot of people didn't like Equestria Games, but that was only because people expected to see more of the games themselves, which is pretty much the main reason why people didn't like it - Spike was actually really good in that episode. Inspiration Manifestation and Power Ponies was actually really good, because both episodes really show how much Spike is a good friend and how much he wants to be helpful. He's still learning about friendship himself, don't forget that. 

Princess Spike? Ok, yeah, that was one was pretty bad. It started off good with Spike making decisions on Twilight's behalf. He knows Twilight, and he uses the lessons she gave him to help out the other ponies, and those ponies were very stubborn! Those ponies were the reason this episode sucked! Also Cadance was pretty much responsible for reminding Spike that he can use Twilight to get him what he wants even though he shouldn't. Everypony seems to forget, he's just a kid! I mean he could do better than I ever would when I was his age! The only thing that he could've done to make things alot less disastrous was if he just gave Twilight ear-plugs, so everypony can make as much noise as they want and not wake up Twilight.

Josh knows what to do with Spike, as shown by the season premiere! He's lead writer now, so I trust him to make a couple of good episodes for him this season! This episode coming up, and the Hearth's Warming episode later this season.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, he doesn't really show any real purpose to the show other than being clumsy and showing off all the time.

^How most of us feel in RL #lonelyallthetime

Well, he is supposed to be Twilights friend, who assists her in her Friendship Journey. It was also described in the comics, that Twilight had to take care of Spike while magic school and that he served as Twilights only Friend. At first that is.

I hope they really avoid episodes centered on his "dragon greed" issues. I have grown to like Spike over the seasons... In seasons 1 through 3 I couldn't stand him, he just got in the way all the time. He matured in seasons 4 through 6 so far. When he gave Twilight some wisdom in the S6 opener it really shows how grown he has become. I am looking forward to the episode next month, where Spike needs to save his friends in a dragon gladiator match, it will be interesting. 

(edited)

redactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredacted

Edited by Vennax

(edited)

I hope they really avoid episodes centered on his "dragon greed" issues. I have grown to like Spike over the seasons... In seasons 1 through 3 I couldn't stand him, he just got in the way all the time. He matured in seasons 4 through 6 so far. When he gave Twilight some wisdom in the S6 opener it really shows how grown he has become. I am looking forward to the episode next month, where Spike needs to save his friends in a dragon gladiator match, it will be interesting. 

I think it showed that Spike has matured since S1. It showed how much he's learned from Twilight when HE'S the one giving Twilight advice.

He was kind of an asshole in S1, especially in Winter Wrap-Up and Bridle Gossip.

Edited by VG_Addict

I think it showed that Spike has matured since S1. It showed how much he's learned from Twilight when HE'S the one giving Twilight advice.

He was kind of an asshole in S1, especially in Winter Wrap-Up and Bridle Gossip.

I am hoping we get more action or adventure episodes in season 6. Slice of life is great and all, but it will get the point where they will run out of social problems to solve. We can argue that maybe FiM is at it's peak popularity now. Seeing as how it shows no signs of ending for quite a bit. I think the show will have 4 more seasons.. Maybe have spin-off shows from G4 continuity in the future. I just want to see these characters relevant for a long time. 

Ah, yes... the child dragon, correct?

Well, I must say he already has a strike against him on MY list - Book Horse's Number One assistant!  Oh, yes - we ALL buy that you were just hanging on to that owl for helping you out 'at night', DON'T WE KIDS?

Cut the act, Sparkle; we BOTH know how personal you ACTUALLY took it when he made all those mistakes in Canterlot... you know, when you were SO exhausted that he had to do your job for you?  Oh, but I'm SURE you still don't hold any misgivings about that time, do you?

Do you?

Well, regardless... the little purple lizard will always be simply second banana to Twilight's lead apple; even when he's grown, I couldn't see him lasting very long on his own without his surrogate 'mama' to bail him out of a jam!

Of course... he DID do that one nifty thing in the Crystal Kingdom... then there was the whole Mane-iac incident... then his recent work with the new one...

Mayhaps he IS a bit of a dink... but he DOES have plenty of heart to back up all those foolish statements.  And heart is NOT easy to come by... even if you DO already have clovers, diamonds, moons and horseshoes.  So, I suppose... he's... NOT... too bad.

THERE!  I said it!  He's tolerable, I suppose... but still nowhere near as entertaining to mess with as Angel is!

• Brohoof 1

I think Spike is a very diverse character. He has shown all acts of kindness as well as hatred: loyal to Twilight, generous to Rarity, sarcastic with some characters as well as ignorant to others. I feel that Spike has shown more emotions himself that each mane chater has, which gives his character way more believability than other cliché / steriotypical charecter on the show (although, in some episodes there are some cases of him being like that, but usually ironically or just as a lazy plot device.) That's my opinion on him anyway. He's one of my favourite characters.

I think Spike is a very diverse character. He has shown all acts of kindness as well as hatred: loyal to Twilight, generous to Rarity, sarcastic with some characters as well as ignorant to others. I feel that Spike has shown more emotions himself that each mane chater has, which gives his character way more believability than other cliché / steriotypical charecter on the show (although, in some episodes there are some cases of him being like that, but usually ironically or just as a lazy plot device.) That's my opinion on him anyway. He's one of my favourite characters.

I've always liked sarcastic, smart-ass characters.

(edited)

Nobody can name any good Spike episodes.

I just did! Did you read my post before? You're in denial, brah! Why bother asking a question of if there's any good Spike episodes, and you just ignore the ones that say there are?

Edited by MegaSean45

• 5 years later...