Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Super Mario Maker kill platformers forever?

SilverStarApple

For years, I've planned a game I want to start making soon. It will be a platformer, with other stuff. But now that Mario Maker lets you make platformer game levels, is the platformer genre completely ruined? Can no platform creator guy create a new level without worrying about some kid yelling "OMG you ripped me off you monster give me money!"?

No, because there's more types of platformer games than Mario-style platformers -- take games like Metroid, Castlevania, or Heart of Darkness, for example. They are platformers, but all unique. Just because people can easily make Mario levels doesn't mean it's going to kill platforming. Doom Builder didn't kill all first person shooters, nor did Timesplitters 2.

Edited by Makazi
  • Brohoof 14

Mario maker is fairly restricted in what you can do compared to making a game from scratch, & no I would not worry about some kid saying ''OMG you ripped me off you monster give me money!"? That is unlikey. 

• Brohoof 3

Agreed with the people above. There are even plenty of mario platformers that play differently than mario maker. :) Trust me, you're good. Though really, if all that sets a game apart is level design, there's probably issues with it's uniqueness from the start. There's a lot more to go off of in a game, and that's where you'll find the reason why platformers are in no way threatened. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Just don't overtly borrow too much from Super Mario games and you'll be fine. xD  If your protagonist is a bearded carpenter from Jersey who rescues a damsel in distress from a fiery-maned lizard and dresses like an antelope, you might want to rethink things.

Sweet. Hey, how soon do you think I should make my kickstarter for the game I want to make?

People have been burned by crowdfunding before.  If you don't ultimately deliver on your product, you probably won't get a second shot at it via the kickstarter route.  Depending on how complex your game concept is...  Maybe you could at least have a brief watchable demo before you ask for monetary support?  Something that shows you know your way around programming and have a concept you're capable of realizing.

• Brohoof 8

Sweet. Hey, how soon do you think I should make my kickstarter for the game I want to make?

Ideally after you get a working demo going, and plenty of proof-of-concepts to show off, in my opinion. Though, probably look into what you'll need the money for specifically, how you're going to use it/need it, and where you plan to go from there. The main point is that you should probably be beyond the "idea" stage and proving to the public that you can in fact deliver when you set out on a project.

I think there's a common sentiment of "everyone has awesome ideas, few people make it happen" when it comes to things like game making. You can't just pitch awesome ideas, because pretty much everyone has those. However, if it looks like this project will actually become a thing, you'll find support easier.

Platformers in general have not been that popular for years, so really Mario Maker isn't your concern it's that the genre has grown rather stale.

@@SilverStarApple. Hey there. As the subject of your topic refers to mario maker and platformers in general, I'm moving it to the media discussion forum.

Also what type of platformer do you want to make?

Umm...if someone would create their own Platformer, they would most likely use original characters, original graphics and an original Story, which you cant do in Mario Maker.

So it would be very hard for an Mario Maker Creator, to sue a Company or Person, just because one of their Levels has a little resemblance to one of theirs.  :lol:

Specially when an Original Platformer would most likely contain a lot of different Levels.

For years, I've planned a game I want to start making soon. It will be a platformer, with other stuff.

Now you make me really curious. What kind of setting do you want to make? What is your favorite level design? And of course even more questions :lol:.

And which engine are you going to use?

Edited by Limeblossom

1. An awesome one. Not giving away any spoilers.

2. Probably Unity, if what it says about console releases is true. Getting it released on the 3ds or Wii U or PS4 or whatever would be SWEET. How does that work?

Creating high expectations ;).

It's like Unity is the love child of little developers. I'm more of an UE4 enthusiast.

By the way, here are some tips and tricks about making a platformer if you need them:

http://devmag.org.za/2011/01/18/11-tips-for-making-a-fun-platformer/

http://devmag.org.za/2012/07/19/13-more-tips-for-making-a-fun-platformer/

And they also made one about Unity:

http://devmag.org.za/2012/07/12/50-tips-for-working-with-unity-best-practices/

Creating high expectations ;).

It's like Unity is the love child of little developers. I'm more of an UE4 enthusiast.

By the way, here are some tips and tricks about making a platformer if you need them:

http://devmag.org.za/2011/01/18/11-tips-for-making-a-fun-platformer/

http://devmag.org.za/2012/07/19/13-more-tips-for-making-a-fun-platformer/

And they also made one about Unity:

http://devmag.org.za/2012/07/12/50-tips-for-working-with-unity-best-practices/

Hell yeah I'm aiming high! This game is my life, my baby, my gift to the planet, and so many other things,

I WANT PEOPLE TO PLAY THIS GAME AND WEEP!

Hell yeah I'm aiming high! This game is my life, my baby, my gift to the planet, and so many other things,

I WANT PEOPLE TO PLAY THIS GAME AND WEEP!

So..... you're planning to make a narrative based platformer? As how your second line came over to me.

Guiz, I know it's all fun and games in here (literally), but let's try to keep a bit more on topic. D:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've not played Mario Maker. I have a Wii U for Splatoon, SSB, and that is it. :v

(edited)

Umm...if someone would create their own Platformer, they would most likely use original characters, original graphics and an original Story, which you cant do in Mario Maker.

So it would be very hard for an Mario Maker Creator, to sue a Company or Person, just because one of their Levels has a little resemblance to one of theirs. :lol:

Specially when an Original Platformer would most likely contain a lot of different Levels.

That's true, it is a good basis for someone new to get an idea of a platformers mechanics, so they kind of an idea how to go about making their original platformer.

Also, if anything, i say it enhances the experience, especially cause it allows for new challenges, just like the WADS and StarEdit added levels and replay value for DOOM and StarCraft respectively.

I love being able to build levels and challenge myself with one someone else did.

In fact, ID software made several additional DOOM titles simply using the best fanmade levels submitted to them, and refined them.

Master Levels for DOOM 2

TNT Evilution

Plutonia Experiment

Final DOOM

And Blizzard uses all the awesome maps over battlenet in StarCraft.

Edited by Frosted Glass

(edited)

Don't forget the fan projects. The Unreal 4 fanmade of Spyro and Donkey Kong are amazing and I hope someone will make an Unreal 4 level from the Looney Tunes' time travel series. Yes, I like an animation based game serie :smug:.

Edited by Limeblossom

(edited)

Mario Maker will probably die in the future and be replaced by another Mario platformer, and tons of other platform games. I like Mario Maker, but I don't think it can replace other games in the same genre, not even Mario itself. :0

Edited by DaringDo-While

Don't forget the fan projects. The Unreal 4 fanmade of Spyro and Donkey Kong are amazing and I hope someone will make an Unreal 4 level from the Looney Tunes' time travel series. Yes, I like an animation based game serie :smug:.

You what?

Unreal 4 Spyro?

Give it to me. Give me the link. Tell me where I can find this.

now combine mario maker with mario paint :P

No need, you can already shake the note block to create a music block. With that, you can rig an enemy to fall on it and activate it. Set these up right, and you've got a mario paint song.

If I'm not mistaken Mario Maker only lets players make 2D platforming levels, yeah? That alone makes it impossible to kill platformers. I personally dislike the 2D perspective in many platformers and prefer them to go full 3D.

What's more is platforming in general kind of requires more than jumping over some pits to be interesting.

On a side note, if you're looking to make sadistically difficult games you should try I Wanna Be The Guy and its fan games to get an idea for what difficulty looks like and how not to make it just cheap shots at the player.