Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sunburst is the "anti" Flash Sentry

TheMarkz0ne

Sunburst is a stallion in this show FINALLY done right. I actually like that he is knowledgeable about magic, instead of being a magical powerhouse like Twilight. Him being more book smart than Twilight makes him special. I mean he appears more book smart, he was able to provide a spell that Twilight couldn't solve. It will add a great balance to the show if they use Sunburst's talents correctly. Flash exists just for having a Ken the doll figure in MLP and has nothing going for him. Big Mac only got better with the Sisterhooves special. 

• Brohoof 15

Sunburst is a well done character /thread

This is what you’re supposed to get when creating a person with some prominence within fiction. It’s not about the believability or raw utility of a character but his/her ability to generate interest and positive interactions not only with the already existing characters but also with the viewer base. I would even go as far as to state that Sunburst is the first decent semi-important MLP character in a long, long time.

• Brohoof 2

There is nothing wrong with portraying an intended masculine character with masculine features, even in a feminine show. I identify between the two, but we havent really had anything other than Equestria Girls to build on Flash. His character hasnt really been given any relevance. I am not a big fan of Flash, but I am not one of those people that thinks hes gutter trash scum of the fandom. You see I dont like the misperception that you can't be masculine, and also have book smarts and find feminine interests.

(edited)

Yeah! Sunburst is a well-rounded male character. Because MLP is a bit short on them, I hope to see more of him.

Edited by Grepper

Yes, Sunburst is a really, really REALLY good character. Not only does he have an interesting and solid character arc that's explored in a matter of minutes, but he also fixes the situation pretty much on his own. I mean, sure he had everypony help, but he was the one pulling the strings. AND he was a counter deus-ex to the already awful deus-ex Flurry Heart unexplained baby power alicorn magic... stuff that caused the problem in the first place.

I mean... holy crap. Give that pony a pair of wings!

Seriously though, if anypony was gonna be the first actual canon male alicorn (and I don't mean like Big Mac in the dreamscape, I mean like actual alicorn), I already think Sunburst would fit the role easily. And I've only seen him for two episodes!

• Brohoof 1

a character should be able to exist on their own if you delete their status of "love interest". Lets look at sunburst. He has a reason to be included in the story, is important to the plot and has a reason to exist and characteristics to allow him to stand on his own if his relationship with Starlight was erased.

Flash on the other hand LITERALLY has no reason to exist except to be a love interest. You delete his role as a love interest for twilight and what reason does he have to be in the plot anymore? Does he have any reason to be there that a background character does not also share?
Flash is a horribly shallow love interest who has less purpose than the other background characters if you were to remove his role with twilight. (and possibly sunset)

• Brohoof 2

As much as I think Sunburst is a great characters, did you really have to use the phrase, "Anti-Flash Sentry" like the latter was the Spawn of the Devil?

Seriously, why do all the "Flash Bashers" always have to drag Flash's underdeveloped, but nice guy personality through the mud? It's been almost 3 years and still all of this pointless hatred of a fictional character is going on? Pathetic!

Sunburst was great and all, but calling this topic, "Sunburst is the "anti" Flash Sentry" can leave a really bad taste in people's mouths.

TL;DR:

Sunburst being a great new character: 10/10

Topic Title: 0/10

Sunburst is a well done character /thread

This is what you’re supposed to get when creating a person with some prominence within fiction. It’s not about the believability or raw utility of a character but his/her ability to generate interest and positive interactions not only with the already existing characters but also with the viewer base. I would even go as far as to state that Sunburst is the first decent semi-important MLP character in a long, long time.

Hey Hey Hey hey.... Limestone Pie was an incredibly fun character and she was just introduced pretty late into S5.

Anyway yeah I agree, Sunburst was a really great character and I hope to see more of him and his amazing Wizardly NEETness. 

Yes, Sunburst is a Stallion I can get behind with (especially in the shipping department :D )

STRAIGHT SHIPPING? HERSEY!

I'll admit: I didn't immediately dislike or instinctively ignore Sunburst. xD  I bet he'd play D&D or Magic: The Gathering if either existed in Equestria.

O he definitely has played DND.... I just wonder what boards he would post on if the internet existed in Equestria. 

• Brohoof 1

Hey Hey Hey hey.... Limestone Pie was an incredibly fun character and she was just introduced pretty late into S5.

I don’t know what this Limestone is, but it sounds disappointing.

There is nothing wrong with portraying an intended masculine character with masculine features, even in a feminine show. I identify between the two, but we havent really had anything other than Equestria Girls to build on Flash. His character hasnt really been given any relevance. I am not a big fan of Flash, but I am not one of those people that thinks hes gutter trash scum of the fandom. You see I dont like the misperception that you can't be masculine, and also have book smarts and find feminine interests.

People don't like Flash Sentry because he's a bland one-note character with no personality beyond "I'm a good-looking dude that plays guitar". Actually, he isn't even one-note, he has no personality at all. Being something isn't a personality. 

(edited)

I'll definitely give Sunburst due praise. He reminds me a lot of Season 1 Twilight. What makes him more enjoyable is that they didn't go the "liar revealed" route with him; no one seemed to backlash too much when he was revealed to not be a "wizard". He turned out to be an enjoyable type of underdog hero - one who never got to prove himself and doesn't have immense powers but uses skill and knowledge to help save the day. For a show that's short on true underdogs (Spike and Scootaloo are arguably the least-developed main characters), Sunburst is a welcome change, especially in a two-parter.

Although it's right to compare Starlight Glimmer with Sunset Shimmer because of the similarities between the characters, Flash Sentry is barely worth mentioning. There really isn't much to the character - he just seems to be part of the high school landscape and a love story between him and Twilight was deemed necessary to hammer that point. Flash Sentry is idealistic in that he's pretty much the "perfect man", being a guy who's nice to girls, wears the rocker/rebel look, is popular, attends all the school events, always has the solution to a problem, and drives a cool car. Sunburst, by contrast, is awkward and fallible, having to overcome the perception of failure and reclusion. Sunburst's endgame is also highly idealistic (how in our world is a student going to be trusted over someone more qualified, even if their answer is better?), but the character and his struggle is much more identifiable. In stories, the means matter a lot. Flash Sentry is all ends.

Edited by Dex Dogtective

(edited)

redactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredacted

Edited by Vennax

(edited)

Sunburst is one of my new favorite characters ever! He's awesome and fairly relatable.. I'm glad so many other Bronies like him too ^-^

I bet he'd play D&D or Magic: The Gathering if either existed in Equestria.

That's P&D and Friendship: the Gathering ^_^

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

I really enjoyed Sunbursts character, his inclusion was probably my favorite thing about the Season opener. 

I really hope the writers don't forget about him or under-utilize him, I think he could have quite a bit of potential!  :icwudt:

It was nice to get a good male lead in a ep for once and its not just all on the Mane 6 or a member of their family also this time around.  He shined in his potential and side interactions with Shimmer given they also had a history we saw and could get a nice feed back.  If they use him,   hopefully will show his growth a lot in his new post.

Actually I would consider Marble Pie to be the anti Flash Sentry as she does everything that the later is hated for involving shallow romance with not much substance outside of blushing around, but manages to get the exact opposite reaction from the fanbase.