Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2 Theories on Starlight Glimmer

Dameldut

I feel that Glimmer's going to make a big impact on the next season. There were multiple villains in the series but all of them had something to bring to the plate and their defeat has only brought more harmony to the friends. Her's is the only story to not include some sort of conclusive ending or a plot where the ponies didn't band together to do something. It felt like only Twilight had a hand in her reformation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Starlight Glimmer the only villain that is a pony that doesn't have anywhere else to be. Nightmare Moon became Luna and is helping Celestia run the (not sure why it's still called a kingdom when it's run by princesses so...) Princessdom and Sunset Shimmer is in another world altogether...

Twilight openly admits to Starlight being more powerful than her even though she's the Princess of Friendship which we all agree is where her overpowering magic power comes from.

Let's not forget the fact that in order to become this Princess Twilight needed to complete a spell that Star Swirl the Bearded couldn't finish. Here we have Starlight Glimmer modifying a spell of his where he could only travel back a week. She travelled back YEARS!!! and made it such that whenever Twilight travelled back in time she would as well. We also recall how Celestia told Twilight that Twilight was the most gifted student she'd ever had so what does that mean for Starlight Glimmer?

Next we move on to how Twilight told Starlight that she would teach Starlight everything she knew. Wouldn't this just put Starlight on a totally different level?

Theory 1

I'm totally reaching here but I think Starlight will become a princess somewhere in the next season. She's going to have to fight off some sort of conflict within herself. Something is going to happen where she's going to need to choose between her new found friends and her nature like how Discord had to in the previous season. I gather that she's going to feel left out more and more as the season wears on because the friends have more of a history and there are only 6 elements of harmony.

Theory 2

We know that there are 6 Elements of Harmony. In the current 6 we have, 2 Earth Ponies, 2 Pegasus Ponies, 1 Alicorn (perfectly alright as there can be only 1 leader) and 1 Unicorn (not as it should be). Starlight Glimmer might actually fill the post of missing Unicorn but that would leave us with a missing element of harmony. The 6 elements left a hole in me the moment Twilight became an Alicorn. It felt so unbalanced. I believe that the Tree of Harmony is hiding a 7th Element. Another reach but the ponies have done it so often that we can't rule it out: Forgiveness. There are so many examples in the series and even in the movies we see Sunset Shimmer obtaining forgiveness from the other girls. Let's not forget how Sunset Shimmer managed to help the girls defeat The Sirens in Rainbow Rocks and actually becomes part of the crew. The same could be said for Starlight Glimmer. She fills the void left behind by Twilight and she would become a powerful ally.

Which do you guys think is more likely? Do you have your own theories? If so leave them below. Let's see what y'all have to say on the matter.

• Brohoof 1

Oh god the amount of outrage people would have if any of these happen. To be honest though I think she'll just be in a couple of episodes and die off.

• Brohoof 2

>snip

Going to say, I 100% expect starlight to become an alicorn princess in the S6 finale.

Starlight is basically sunset with the numbers filed off for FIM in her function since they can't yank sunset out of the EQG world. And using FG as a roadmap for Starlight, I expect she'll end up finally end up overcoming feeling like an outsider of the mane six in an over the top Alicorn thing where she realizes that her destiny is to be a princess like twilight spreading friendship.

826366__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+da

Going to say, I 100% expect starlight to become an alicorn princess in the S6 finale.

Starlight is basically sunset with the numbers filed off for FIM in her function since they can't yank sunset out of the EQG world. And using FG as a roadmap for Starlight, I expect she'll end up finally end up overcoming feeling like an outsider of the mane six in an over the top Alicorn thing where she realizes that her destiny is to be a princess like twilight spreading friendship.

sig-4448286.826366__safe_twilight%20spar

Lol, oh boy.

I would be so done with this story. They are forcing their new pony oc so hard on us, it's not funny anymore.

She is like this chosen one pony Radiant Hope in the comics who happily ran with good Sombra to the sunset, kind of. :-D

(edited)

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Starlight became an Alicorn, just from the first two episodes of season 6, Starlight is already shaping up to be one of my favorite characters.
Tho it might be a little soon as we already have a new Alicorn, Flurry Heart, who I am looking forward to growing up.

Honestly I didn't understand why everyone freaked out about Twilight becoming an Alicorn, don't say merchandising because it made a great story.

Edited by Miamorea Cadenza

I'm totally reaching here but I think Starlight will become a princess somewhere in the next season.

Tremendously unlikely.

For one thing, I sincerely doubt they're going to repeat that same plot thread. Secondly, Equestria is overcrowded with princesses as it is, what point would there ultimately be in adding another one? What kind of princess would Starlight be, anyway? The Princess of Friendship 2.0? And what other plot threads would be repeated following it? Would Starlight also feel like her role as a princess is meaningless (because it honestly would be)? Would that culminate in her getting her own castle as well? 

Besides, why does Starlight's development have to mirror Twilight's? It doesn't, and it'd be really stupid if it did. When it comes to learning about friendship, Twilight and Starlight were and are on two completely different wavelengths. Twilight was a natural leader almost from the beginning, and she needed very little guidance from Celestia. Meanwhile, Starlight clearly isn't at that point yet, and it appears Twilight will have heavy involvement in her friendship studies. 

Honestly, the only goal that Starlight should be expected to achieve out of learning about friendship is simply becoming a better, happier, and (obviously) more popular person. That's just about it. 

Furthermore, I honestly couldn't imagine a bigger slap in the face to the mane five. It would take a hell of a lot more than two seasons to justify to me why she supposedly deserves to ascend more than they do, even if you were to write them out of the show entirely. 

Starlight Glimmer might actually fill the post of missing Unicorn but that would leave us with a missing element of harmony. The 6 elements left a hole in me the moment Twilight became an Alicorn. It felt so unbalanced. I believe that the Tree of Harmony is hiding a 7th Element. Another reach but the ponies have done it so often that we can't rule it out: Forgiveness.

Since when do the Elements have anything to do with pony races? 

Putting aside how utterly contrived a seventh Element appering out of nowhere would be, Starlight honestly isn't entitled to wield an Element. She's a student. She's not on the mane six's level, and she shouldn't be given everything that they've been given just to make her fit in with them. 

Also, it'd definitely have to be something better than forgiveness. The fact that Starlight can be forgiven (for whatever reason) has nothing to do with her own ability to forgive. 

• Brohoof 1

Putting aside how utterly contrived a seventh Element appering out of nowhere would be, Starlight honestly isn't entitled to wield an Element. She's a student. She's not on the mane six's level, and she shouldn't be given everything that they've been given just to make her fit in with them. 

You forget that Twlight was a student of Celestia's and all of the mane six were still learning from mistakes. Starlight is in the exact stage, unsure of where she fits in and doesn't forgive herself for the mistakes she made.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why does everyone keep saying Starlight is more powerful than Twilight?

Mainly for how a unicorn managed to handle her in the S5 finale. I don't think she's above Twilight as Starlight had plenty of advantages going for her in that battlefield in:

1. Had advanced warning Twilight is coming so she can prepare on the spot unlike Twilight who needs to go in there guns blazing to avoid an ice spell to the face.

2. Due to Starlight's mission, Starlight doesn't even need to fight her at all. She just simply has to alter the time events at even one moment to win.

3. Twilight cannot fight her for a long period of time or the filles will get distracted and thus time is altered.

It's not to say Starlight is a fraud, the fact she's able to even fight Twilight pretty evenly should tell you she's a powerhouse. But I do think those who say that Twilight is less powerful than Starlight aren't looking at the whole picture for Starlight's success.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

Quite frankly she already embodies everything you see in a bad OC. Might as well turn her into a Alicorn. At least she'll complete the bad OC set.

I have my doubts on her being a princess, that just doesn't seem to fit her character, BUT, her being a student of Twilight's does automatically support that theory a bit. Twilight was a student of Celestia, becomes a princess and that cycle could continue here. not sure how I feel about that though if it would be the case. I am still not completely over what Starlight did in the first place, I am not sure if she even deserves to be a princess or even an Element of Harmony at this point. They are going to have to do a lot this season to win me over on that. 

• Brohoof 1

Lol, oh boy.

I would be so done with this story. They are forcing their new pony oc so hard on us, it's not funny anymore.

She is like this chosen one pony Radiant Hope in the comics who happily ran with good Sombra to the sunset, kind of. :-D

hey, don't forget that Radiant was destined to become a princess too according to the comics ;) >.< XD

By comic logic all you need is strong magic and you're going to be made a princess (As bad as that logic was)

• Brohoof 1

hey, don't forget that Radiant was destined to become a princess too according to the comics ;) >.< XD

By comic logic all you need is strong magic and you're going to be made a princess (As bad as that logic was)

If I remember correctly wasn't she all about saying fuck that to her destiny anyways?

Anyways by Show logic or comic logic apparently all you need to do is make new magic lol XD.

sig-4448286.826366__safe_twilight%20spar

In that picture Starlight has Twilight's cutie mark (and some bow) while Twilight has a unicorn body so it seems the wings could be just a mistake.

Quite frankly she already embodies everything you see in a bad OC. Might as well turn her into a Alicorn. At least she'll complete the bad OC set.

How about the black and red colour palette  ^_^

(edited)

Starlight is just biding her time, brushing up on her manipulation skills, and going by the old adage "Keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer."

Twilight and the lucky charms gang might have been fooled by her absolutely "heart-wrenching childhood trauma story", but not me.

I can't wait until the season 6 finale when her true plan is revealed! :angry:

Well that's my theory anyways, I doubt it holds any water, but one can hope. :umad:

In all seriousness though, I wish she would have just got away again. 

Edited by Cirrus.

If Starlight does end up being a regular it would most likely be Theory 2. They've already introduced a new alicorn princess (Flurry Heart) in this season, I doubt they'll release another.

Again, many people have linked the element of courage with Starlight, so it could be possible that she becomes part of the mane 6 filling the role of a missing unicorn that Twilight once was (I had considered this theory.)

However the 'mane 7' or 'mane 6 + Princess Twilight' just sounds odd.

Personally I hope she just ends up being a background pony after this season.

Personally I hope she just ends up being a background pony after this season.

I'd Like that, but I'd bet 100 to 1 odds against it.

The only possible reason I could think for that to happen would be poor toy sales, and the staff don't seem to be the type to be swayed by Toy sales (otherwise the show would be about pinkie pie :P)

If Starlight does end up being a regular it would most likely be Theory 2. They've already introduced a new alicorn princess (Flurry Heart) in this season, I doubt they'll release another.

Nothing wrong with doing 2: You get different demographics from the two. Flurry heart is the "little baby" alicorn for selling to the traditional girly girly fans, Starlight glimmer would be the "super saiyan fighting" alicorn character who's purpose is to Godmode fight for the girls who like stuff like Twilight's kingdom.

Starlight is just biding her time, brushing up on her manipulation skills, and going by the old adage "Keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer."

Twilight and the lucky charms gang might have been fooled by her absolutely "heart-wrenching childhood trauma story", but not me.

I can't wait until the season 6 finale when her true plan is revealed! :angry:

Well that's my theory anyways, I doubt it holds any water, but one can hope. :umad:

In all seriousness though, I wish she would have just got away again. 

Hah. I'd like to see a character like that. but given the Premier showing her being utterly reformed and in no way shape or form even WANTING to be villainous, there's absolutely no chance of her betraying them except in a "give in to despair" kind of thing (Such as feeling that sunburst abandoned her or something like how twilight unleashed the magic in FG after Sunset went off on her and basically made her think she'd lost her friendship with the others)

I think that no matter what happens to this character from this point onwards, it shall have no long term influence on the franchise.

Yes, I know you think I’m wrong for stating that stories which develop G4 world have absolutely no influence on the long-term narrative of MLP, G4 or otherwise, and I also suspect that you are pretty much the same bunch who would be the first ones stating that canonicity of major events and fleshed out lore are not important, which is kinda ironic.

So what does that mean for not-quite-background-ponies like CMC, Starlight, Maud, Discord, etc?

It means that they are only there to make things interesting, tools that can be easily discarded once their jobs are done. Like Celestia. And their times will come. These characters cannot carry the weight of the franchise, nor can they gain sufficient favor from the silent majority to make them profitable. They were created to support the main cast, and that’s that. The only sin, or should I say the biggest sin, that writers have done is their ambiguous effort to forge a new Mane member first in Sunset and now in Starlight. But don’t you forget: CMC also got their own episodes and they are not regarded as Mane characters by any self-respecting Brony. And that is why I have said ambiguous effort, since some see what they want, while some of us see what we fear. Perhaps we have all been living in a lie.

However, Sunset is a Mane character now, isn’t she? For now, at least, and if Starlight becomes the same in Equestria, things can get quite interesting, though I ain’t talking about the stories. As they say: The ride never ends.

(edited)

I won't initially accept Starlight being an alicorn right away if she ever does, being under Twilight's tutelage could help her grow more as a character and the premiere showed she can branch out from Twilight's wing and make her own decisions. As a character, she is fine in my book and it would be interesting to see how Starlight will take this ball and run with it.

Edited by Scootalove

However, Sunset is a Mane character now, isn’t she? For now, at least,

I don't see HOW it could be a "For now, at least" scenario with Sunset XD

The writers have unambiguously put all their chips down on Sunset shimmer as their bet to push the EQG franchise given the past two movies: They're all in, putting all their faith and efforts into Pushing her as the central, everything revolving around her character of the franchise, with no plan B for the movie's narrative past her.

At this point its a Win or lose scenario: Were Sunset to flop in sales, they've put so much effort and resources behind her as the Point of the narrative that the series would have to tank before they'd retract her as the central character (Since they've set up nothing else as a fall back plotline if Sunset's fails to sell toys)

Nothing wrong with doing 2: You get different demographics from the two. Flurry heart is the "little baby" alicorn for selling to the traditional girly girly fans, Starlight glimmer would be the "super saiyan fighting" alicorn character who's purpose is to Godmode fight for the girls who like stuff like Twilight's kingdom.

Or Starlight is meant as a good at magic unicorn replacement to the group for people who did not like alicorn Twilight.

Hah. I'd like to see a character like that. but given the Premier showing her being utterly reformed and in no way shape or form even WANTING to be villainous, there's absolutely no chance of her betraying them except in a "give in to despair" kind of thing (Such as feeling that sunburst abandoned her or something like how twilight unleashed the magic in FG after Sunset went off on her and basically made her think she'd lost her friendship with the others)

I was disappointed, yet completely unsurprised that she was "fixed" by the end of the S5 finale. ^_^

(edited)

If either of those theories turns out to be true, I think I and a whole lot of other people will end up leaving the franchise. Starlight being rewarded with Alicorn Princesshood after one season would make a whole lot of people very, very angry. Starlight's already got her work cut out for her as far as endearing herself to the audience is concerned and I don't think Alicornizing her would help matters.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner