Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did anyone notice... (Warning: Spoilers)

Bow Heart

That it seemed Chrysalis expected to lose the duel to Celestia?

I was watching the season 2 finale again (who hasn't seen it more than twice?), and I noticed that when Celestia and Chrysalis start duking it out, Chrysalis sort of grunts/cries in frustration. And after the battle's over, Chrysalis looks surprised to see that she's won before she laughs.

To me, it looks like Chrysalis expected to lose as soon as it started, but she fought anyway. Might as well go down fighting I suppose?

I guess it could also be intrepreted that she was struggling to overpower Celestia too, though.

I dunno, what do you ponies think?

Well, she was fighting Princess Celestia, Goddess of the Sun, the most powerful pony in existence. Of course she was surprised when she won. But she underestimated the power of two ponies in love.

• Brohoof 2

That's why she said that Princess Cadance's love for Shining Armor was stronger than she expected.

So yeah, I guess the moral is go down fighting, because in the end, you might win...

• Brohoof 4

My first guess (because usually this is the stuff I pay attention to first in these kinds of things), is that that part was from the original cut of the final product episode, and it was originally intended for Celestia to win, but then they probably found out they had some extra time to squeeze in, so they switched roles and bingo!

Or, either that or I'm overanalyzing/compeltely forgetting the DHX production process. XD

Yes, she thought she would lose but Shining Armor's love for Cadence and his sister are so strong that it allowed her to best Celestia to her own surprise.

Which indicates she was either partly ignorant or forgetful of the power of Love.

This is corroborated by how surprised she is and the lack of preventive measures she takes when Shining and Cadence are reunited.

• Brohoof 1

Which indicates she was either partly ignorant or forgetful of the power of Love.

This is corroborated by how surprised she is and the lack of preventive measures she takes when Shining and Cadence are reunited.

True, true. I would say she's a bit ignorant as she's probably never experienced what love is.

She's a Changeling, at it's core, they have possibly very limited power in of themselves. They are parasites. They need other's energy to be strong. As has been said, she was very surprised because she didn't know that she had gained so much power as to be able to defeat Celestia. She entered the battle a bit cocky and because there was no getting out of it, and got worried, as of the grunts, and then was surprised to see just how powerful the absorbed love was after all.

BTW that fight was bleh. We need an actual fight with Celestia VS Discord or Chrysalis or some other big villain.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1

When I first was the episode and she looked like she was going to loose I was like "aaaah, the episode will end soon" but then when she beated Celestia I was like "dafuq? Noooeees!"

Now that I think about it, yes it does seem Chrysalis was not really confident, and initially just put up false bravado, hence her being surprised when she won. Supports my inferiority complex theory in any case.

• Brohoof 1

Huh, I'm gonna have to look at that again...

Well, Celestia immediately just shot out a laser, and Chrysalis wasn't prepared for it. And as others said, she did underestimate the love power she got.

It could also have been that Chrysalis was just trying to buy time for the rest of the Changelings to break through the force field, she never intended to win the duel just delay long enough to set up her zerg rush. However the power upgrade she got from feeding on Shining Armour's love was greater than she expected.

• Brohoof 2