Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Powerpuff Reboot Is Actually Pretty Great

So I've seen the shorts and watched the first episode. It's actually really great. The new opening kind of grows on you and the series definitely has been updated to a modern crowd. It takes advantage of all the things that have changed since 1990 to improve the quality and entertainment value. The animation is top notch and the audio quality is great. The characters are far more clever than the original, and the plot points are clear parodies and riffs on real world stuff. The first episode is clearly making fun of the stigma that men should not even like the show. It clearly also has some throwbacks to the original, including using the old CN logo at the end of the episode.

All and all I will give this reboot a solid 8.5/10. It's a respectable reboot which had some honest effort put into it.

What? The elephant in the middle of the room? Oh right... Of course: the voices are fine, I would even say they grow on you and fit the characters better. If voices are stopping you from enjoying a great show, then you're being petty.

just watched the first episode and it's actually pretty good, I didn't know there was a new power puf girls so thanks for telling me

Yeah I'm glad some people are giving it a chance and not just taking the stink that Tara Strong kicked up as a reason to not even try it because they would be missing out.

tara bad mouthed this new version because she didn't get the bubles role?

Yeah pretty much that's the summed up version.

To be honest, it looks kinda stupid to me. Some of the character choices don't fit, and while I can sorta see Bubbles liking that crap, I doubt Buttercup would like boybands.

I don't know, I mean the kids are slightly older in this version, they are in elementary school versus Kindergarten, and they are clearly exuding a slightly higher maturity than the originals. I could definitely see what they are doing with the characters. Buttercup is no longer just the stereotypical tomboy, she's a punk now which is far more diverse. Sort of like the cute girl who throws down when necessary but is still into some girl stuff. I kind of like this direction, the character is less flat now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I agreed with this untill the whol unicorn debacle and the creators coming out and stating that that episode was indeed a comentary on transexuality. Now I am unsure If I want to continue watching it.

Well I agreed with this untill the whol unicorn debacle and the creators coming out and stating that that episode was indeed a comentary on transexuality. Now I am unsure If I want to continue watching it.

Where did the creators state that? I never saw such a thing.

So I watched the episode and I read the article about it and... How is it a bad thing? The whole point of the episode was that Donny was a unicorn all along and that what truly mattered was that Donny was a unicorn on the inside.

Producer Nick Jennings stated and I quote:

"We did and episode where there's a unicorn. Basically when it starts out, he's a pony, but he wants to be a unicorn. He has to go through a transformation to become a unicorn and so it's a whole episode that asks 'What are you on the inside? What are you on the outside? How do you identify yourself? How do people see you?' There's a lot of subtext in that."

So how is it a bad thing? After seeing the episode I saw no bad message.

Edited by Guest

The Powerpuff Girls 2016 reboot was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean how much more could you possibly fuck up a premise as simple as The Powerpuff Girls? And unlike my son who eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the reboot is that this generation will always remember Powerpuff Girls as the reboot. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.

So where do I possibly start? Nothing in the reboot makes any sense at all. It comes off like a script written by a nostalgia-blinded amateur who just discovered internet memes. It's like the writers finished the script in one draft, like they turned it in and they decided to go with it, without anyone saying that it made no sense as a self-contained story, or was a stupid incoherent mess of references.

I guess at this point, who's going to need to expend the effort into making the audience have a connection with the story, when they can easily reference things the audience likely already has some connection to? Cartoon Network probably got rid of anyone working on the show who thought creatively a long time ago.

I also think that everyone just assumed that a Powerpuff Girls reboot would be an instant hit, regardless of how the execution was. Really, how hard could it be to screw up? It's like screwing up mashed potatoes! You boil the water, and pour the packe-

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 2

The Powerpuff Girls 2016 reboot was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean how much more could you possibly fuck up a premise as simple as The Powerpuff Girls? And unlike my son who eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the reboot is that this new generation will always remember Powerpuff Girls as the reboot. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.

So where do I possibly start? Nothing in the reboot makes any sense at all. It comes off like a script written by a nostalgia-blinded amateur who just discovered internet memes. It's like the writers finished the script in one draft, like they turned it in and they decided to go with it, without anyone saying that it made no sense as a self-contained story, or was a stupid incoherent mess of references.

I guess at this point, who's going to need to expend the effort into making the audience have a connection with the story, when they can easily reference things the audience likely already has some connection to? Cartoon Network probably got rid of anyone working on the show who thought creatively a long time ago.

I also think that everyone just assumed that a Powerpuff Girls reboot would be an instant hit, regardless of how the execution was. Really, how hard could it be to screw up? It's like screwing up mashed potatoes! You boil the water, and pour the packe-

Actually, you make them out of real potatoes, only dirty whores use instant-mash powder.

...JK. Also, agreed. It feels like some aging executive burst onto a stage and yelled "Hey, kids! We heard you like memes! So we made some Newgrounds Trash you thought you'd seen the last of nine years ago! They do the twerk and the naynay now, and of course, they do the maymay!"

The Powerpuff Girls 2016 reboot was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean how much more could you possibly fuck up a premise as simple as The Powerpuff Girls? And unlike my son who eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the reboot is that this new generation will always remember Powerpuff Girls as the reboot. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.

I really like the effort you went through to make an offensive post, but whatever.

The reboot is pretty bad. The writers rely too much on pop-culture and memes. The fighting was toned down to about a 1 out of 10, and the style its presented in is really boring. Like RebelTaxi said, "The original had 3 soft kindergarten girls, who live in an edgy, rough world full of terrifying monsters and fight crime. The reboot has 3 soft kindergarten girls, who live in a soft world with soft villains."

It's quite sad that this happened to such a beloved series, but somewhat predicable ever since CN decided to be everyone's cool uncle.

I really like the effort you went through to make an offensive post, but whatever.

Honestly, I didn't put much effort into making my "offensive" post. It was just my attempt at making a dumb reference, which in hindsight was probably too obscure to be worth referencing in the first place.

I suppose one may argue that it's a double standard that I called out the PPG reboot for being cluttered with references, but it's okay for me to make them. My counterargument would be that the PPG reboot doesn't work on it's own partly because of the references, but you don't have to have seen Plinkett's reviews to understand what I said in my post.

Edited by SpaceOnion

The PPG reboot, I wanted to love it but the more and more the show goes on , the more and more I start to dislike it and here is why

• The girls are now one dimensional. Ex, Bubbles angry is now her defying personality instead being like Fluttershy.
  • The end credits theme is dull
  • Forced meme jokes
  • Ms. Bellum was cut from the show
  • Hardly no narrator. So hardly no "The city of Townsville" and "So the day is saved."
  • And this

If I didnt convince you.  Please allow PaleoSteno to explain why the reboot sucks

• Brohoof 2

The PPG reboot, I wanted to love it but the more and more the show goes on , the more and more I start to dislike it and here is why

• The girls are now one dimensional. Ex, Bubbles angry is now her defying personality instead being like Fluttershy.
  • The end credits theme is dull
  • Forced meme jokes
  • Ms. Bellum was cut from the show
  • Hardly no narrator. So hardly no "The city of Townsville" and "So the day is saved."
  • And this
If I didnt convince you.  Please allow PaleoSteno to explain why the reboot sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNL0HJmuyLk

I didn't really agree with most of Paleo's criticisms. It felt to me like he was just look for reasons to hate it. I usually like his reviews, just not his PPG review. If you want a better description of the show's biggest problem, I think Pan Pizza did a much better job explaining it. It's not that critics don't like it because it's not a carbon copy of the original. Critics don't like it because it tries too hard to mimic the original but only does okay at it, while anything new it tries to do feels like it's already been done and done better by other Cartoons on right now. It also feels like the only reason it was commissioned was to artificially create popularity and to sell toys. Not to mention it can't decide if it wants to be a continuation or a separate continuity. I think that's a much better explanation than what Paleo gave IMHO.

• Brohoof 1

I've always loved the Power Puff Girls myself, back during the first show and all... Though from what I've seen thus far of this reboot now, it seemed kinda cringe-worthy, almost more so than Teen Titans Go, though, I have only seen like a few minute-long clips, so I'm not going to say that this is my final opinion on it.

• Brohoof 1

The Powerpuff Girls 2016 reboot was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean how much more could you possibly fuck up a premise as simple as The Powerpuff Girls? And unlike my son who eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station,

What the hell dude?

the unfortunate reality of the reboot is that this generation will always remember Powerpuff Girls as the reboot. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.

Not true, the original series is on Netflix.

Honestly I feel like people are being too critical and looking at the show through nostalgia goggles so they are finding anything wrong that they can because it's "not the same as the original". I found that when I ignored that the original existed, this was a funny little show. It's not the same, no, but I actually found it somewhat refreshing to have a new spin on the show. I mean I can see some effort went into this, and it's a shame that it'll get cancelled probably because some people can't let go of nostalgia and can't accept change. 

What the hell dude?

Oh for fuck's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Not true, the original series is on Netflix.

The new version is the one Cartoon Network wants people to watch, and will advertise it heavily.

Honestly I feel like people are being too critical and looking at the show through nostalgia goggles so they are finding anything wrong that they can because it's "not the same as the original". I found that when I ignored that the original existed, this was a funny little show. It's not the same, no, but I actually found it somewhat refreshing to have a new spin on the show. I mean I can see some effort went into this, and it's a shame that it'll get cancelled probably because some people can't let go of nostalgia and can't accept change. 

Boy, how did you come to that well thought-out assumption? Since I don't like it I must be nostalgia blinded, despite the fact that I didn't grow up with the original series, and I only first watched it two years ago.

If you actually read the rest of my post, you would know that I didn't simply criticize it for being different, but rather that it doesn't work as it's own thing. It tried to appeal to a new generation by using memes, (thus dating itself in the process,) while at the same time attempting to cater to fans of the original using nostalgia. It all comes off as an incoherent mess of trying to target everyone.

Normally when reboots and spinoffs remove elements from the original, they would usually put something in it's place to set it apart as it's own thing. In this case, the show is (according to the creators,) supposed to be more "character driven" than the original. Ironically, the main characters in this reboot are one dimensional, and the "character interaction" consists of references to the original that newcomers wouldn't get, forced jokes, and nothing of substance.

Edited by SpaceOnion

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with their work?

The new version is the one Cartoon Network wants people to watch, and will advertise it heavily.

Yet a lot of people are actually not buying cable anymore and many people have switched to Netflix. I mean MLP's numbers dropped for that reason.

Boy, how did you come to that well thought-out assumption? Since I don't like it I must be nostalgia blinded, despite the fact that I didn't grow up with the original series, and I only first watched it two years ago.

Did I say you specifically?

Also you still watched the original going into this one, so chances are you had expectations and pre-conceptions of what you wanted.

If you actually read the rest of my post,

I have, thank you for insisting that I did not. You don't want me making assumptions about you, but you are free to make them about me?

you would know that I didn't simply criticize it for being different,

I'm well aware and I did not say you specifically, I said people, I.e. not everyone. The fact that you are getting defensive means you have applied this to yourself and means you probably feel the need to defend your standpoint. You're entitled to your opinion, I merely disagree with it, however I'd appreciate it if you did not get so bent out of shape over mine.

Everything you have criticized is all a matter of preference and subjective, others do not feel that way. I went in with no expectations and I found the show does well. Sure you may not find parts funny and dislike certain things, and you're entitled to, but no one is wrong for liking the show.

I do believe a portion of people disliking it though are people who are viewing this through nostalgia goggles and simply can not appreciate change which is unfortunate because they are not even going to give the show a chance to make it to a second season even though it's really not that bad and there have been far worse reboots in history.

Honestly, I didn't put much effort into making my "offensive" post. It was just my attempt at making a dumb reference, which in hindsight was probably too obscure to be worth referencing in the first place.

Was just about to point that out; you got it straight from Plinkett's "The Phantom Menace" review.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with their work?

No Totino's Pizza Rolls for you!

So far, I've only seen one episode of the PPG reboot, and it was the episode that was supposed to be controversial.  (I wasn't especially offended.)  Here's what I thought of that one episode:

So far, I've only seen one episode of the PPG reboot, and it was the episode that was supposed to be controversial.  (I wasn't especially offended.)  Here's what I thought of that one episode:

I couldn't really see what the controversy was. People were misinterpreting it purposely me thinks.

I couldn't really see what the controversy was. People were misinterpreting it purposely me thinks.

Methinks that people mistook a cartoon for a platform for biting social commentary.  I've said this eleven times at this point (these PPG topics keep popping up), but I wouldn't have known I was supposed to be offended unless I'd read about it on MLPF beforehand.

Methinks that people mistook a cartoon for a platform for biting social commentary.  I've said this eleven times at this point (these PPG topics keep popping up), but I wouldn't have known I was supposed to be offended unless I'd read about it on MLPF beforehand.

The creator themselves flat out said the message was supposed to be positive.