Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Powerpuff Reboot Is Actually Pretty Great

Justing hearing the words 'forced meme, and references" makes me cringe. and i havn't seen any of it.  Yea referening old material is fun but MEMES! oh come on, put sone love into your work

Justing hearing the words 'forced meme, and references" makes me cringe. and i havn't seen any of it.  Yea referening old material is fun but MEMES! oh come on, put sone love into your work

MLP has been referencing memes since season 2... :U

I've seen every episode so far from the reboot and I think it's good. Not great, but good. A lot of things changed that I wasn't very comfortable with at first, but you're right when you said that things grow on you (like the new theme and the new voices). The show is still funny and somewhat clever (it also has some nice feel good moments from time to time) so that's all that matters to me. I just wish the show had a little bit more action and ass kicking like the old show did, but oh well.

And about the meme thing, well.. I'm trying to like this show but I just can't handle how much this show is trying too hard to be hip and cool. The memes will soon be dated (hell, the "no me gusta" joke is so old) and adding random unfitting memes for no reason is a cheap way to be funny. The original show barely made pop culture references, and if it did, it was still able to be funny even after 10 years. MLP does make references to memes, but MLP actually makes it work. They're not too obvious about it, while PPG doesn't even try to be subtle.

The point is, the reboot's episodes have flaws, but the show definitely doesn't suck. It annoys me that there are lots of people who dislike the show only because of all the changes, so I'm glad to see someone else likes it.

Edited by PonyLaces

MLP has been referencing memes since season 2... :U

The memes MLP used were way more subtle, than Bubble's face literally changing shape into the "me gusta" face. You can have memes in the show to be a nod to your community, but when the flow of the episode is immediately halted for a joke, let alone a meme, you've done something wrong.

The memes MLP used were way more subtle, than Bubble's face literally changing shape into the "me gusta" face. You can have memes in the show to be a nod to your community, but when the flow of the episode is immediately halted for a joke, let alone a meme, you've done something wrong.

The original PPG literally referenced all the time and in season one there was an entire Star Wars parody that lasted for like 3 minutes. The same episode referenced Elvis, and other popular pop culture. It's literally the same exact shit but from a different time period.

Go rewatch the original show, it's chock full of memes and references as well. Episode 5 of season 1 of the original show takes a 3 minute segment to make a star wars reference that completely parodies the entire scene of the destruction of the death star. The entire episode was set up just to make that joke.

I think you're excusing the original show because you have nostalgia for it, but when you go back and look at it objectively, it's the same thing. The characters are just as one dimensional, the references are abundant and the plots are equally ridiculous.

It's the same as people saying "the new pokemon suck" forgetting that there were plenty of sucky ones back in generation 1. Go re-watch the original show and try to look at it objectively.

The original PPG literally referenced all the time and in season one there was an entire Star Wars parody that lasted for like 3 minutes. The same episode referenced Elvis, and other popular pop culture. It's literally the same exact shit but from a different time period.

Go rewatch the original show, it's chock full of memes and references as well. Episode 5 of season 1 of the original show takes a 3 minute segment to make a star wars reference that completely parodies the entire scene of the destruction of the death star. The entire episode was set up just to make that joke.

I think you're excusing the original show because you have nostalgia for it, but when you go back and look at it objectively, it's the same thing. The characters are just as one dimensional, the references are abundant and the plots are equally ridiculous.

It's the same as people saying "the new pokemon suck" forgetting that there were plenty of sucky ones back in generation 1. Go re-watch the original show and try to look at it objectively.

Elvis and Star Wars are incredibly significant pop culture names. Universally praised for their contribution to their respective media. Memes and twerking are not respectable by any means, and is honestly degrading to original show. You even said it yourself the episode was building up for that entire joke, so it wasn't even breaking the flow of the episode.

Also stop with the whole "nostalgia goggles" bs. It's not wrong for someone to be influenced by the previous series, and have expectations for the follow-up series. If it didn't have the PPG IP on it, this series wouldn't last past season 2.

Elvis and Star Wars are incredibly significant pop culture names. Universally praised for their contribution to their respective media. Memes and twerking are not respectable by any means, and is honestly degrading to original show. You even said it yourself the episode was building up for that entire joke, so it wasn't even breaking the flow of the episode.

It was equally annoying and equally jarring to have the entire episode be a meme. Whether you like to admit it or not, it's really the same principle applied to different time periods.

Also stop with the whole "nostalgia goggles" bs. It's not wrong for someone to be influenced by the previous series, and have expectations for the follow-up series.

No but it can explain their dislike for a series that is doing the same thing its predecessor did.

Haven't seen a full episode yet, but from the clips I've seen...Eh, it doesn't look all that interesting to me. Obviously I can't judge the whole show by a few clips, and I plan to give it a real shot later, but there's nothing that's looked good enough to me to make it a high priority. Which is strange, because I loved the original PPG, I have the whole series on DVD, it's great. Even the later seasons which most people don't consider as good I still love.

That said, I really hope I like it. Because if I don't, then people are gonna start mailing me those stupid Nostalgia goggles again, because it's impossible to like something older more without them. :twi:

Edited by BasementLuna

That said, I really hope I like it. Because if I don't, then people are gonna start mailing me those stupid Nostalgia goggles again, because it's impossible to like something older more without them.

My point with that is people are criticizing the new show for things the old show did and I think we're remembering things a bit better than they were.

"Oh but memes!"

What are Star Wars references, pop culture references and such but memes of the times before internet? The old show was chock full of them.

"But those references were timeless and funny!"

And many of today's youth find internet memes funny. Just because we don't doesn't mean that they are inherently bad.

I literally am only hearing criticisms of things the old show did.

The theme song isn't great, the original theme song was so much catchier. I quite like the opening video mind, it's cool looking. I don't know how I feel about Buttercup being obsessed with a boy band :/ It's something she really wouldn't give a crap for. The lack of a narrator saddens me :( I loved the narrator.

I quite like the animation. I really don't see a problem with the animation myself at all. I think the girls themselves look great.

It's not offensive or anything. It's fine for kids to watch. There are some funny lines/scenes and the writing isn't awful in my opinion. 

I prefer to the originals but I don't hate this reboot. 

I don't know how I feel about Buttercup being obsessed with a boy band :/ It's something she really wouldn't give a crap for.

Actually I liked that addition because it made Buttercup about more than just being tough. She's a modern "tough girl" likes being strong and brutish but still like girl stuff. It's actually more believable than a girl who just avoids all things girl.

The lack of a narrator saddens me I loved the narrator.

Tom Kenny is still the narrator.

I literally am only hearing criticisms of things the old show did.

Oh no, I get what you mean. People not even giving the reboot a chance and looking for reasons to dislike it because "It's not like the old one!" is silly. It's good to give new things a chance and judge them for their own merits. And I won't deny that nostalgia can play a part in people's reasoning, it even does in my own at times.

That said, Nostalgia Goggles is something people tend to throw out a bit too much. It's something I see used practically anytime someone prefers the older versions of something, unless the new version is something that is considered really awful. People have preferences, some people are simply going to prefer the content of something older, for nostalgic reasons or not.

I'm sure some people dislike the new one because "Nostalgia goggles", there are even a few examples of that in effect here, true. I just was poking a bit of fun at the idea, since I'm used to people calling out Nostalgia Goggles for any older preference, no matter the reason.

Edited by BasementLuna

Oh no, I get what you mean. People not even giving the reboot a chance and looking for reasons to dislike it because "It's not like the old one!" is silly. It's good to give new things a chance and judge them for their own merits. And I won't deny that nostalgia can play a part in people's reasoning, it even does in my own at times.

That said, Nostalgia Goggles is something people tend to throw out a bit too much. It's something I see used practically anytime someone prefers the older versions of something, unless the new version is something that is considered really awful. People have preferences, some people are simply going to prefer the content of something older, for nostalgic reasons or not.

I'm sure some people dislike the new one because "Nostalgia goggles", there are even a few examples of that in effect here, true. I just was poking a bit of fun at the idea, since I'm used to people calling out Nostalgia Goggles for any older preference, no matter the reason.

I mean if people were criticizing the new show for things the old show wasn't doing then I could see it. Otherwise I see it as nothing more than looking for a reason to hate it for not being "the same". Even if said reasons are hypocritical.

They have the odd thing the narrator says which reminds me of those cuts in Spongebob (like "one eternity later") but there was more of him in the originals. Hopefully he'll have more things to say in future seasons.

I mean if people were criticizing the new show for things the old show wasn't doing then I could see it. Otherwise I see it as nothing more than looking for a reason to hate it for not being "the same". Even if said reasons are hypocritical.

Well, I think that depends on the criticism. If Old PPG and new PPG both do something similar, but in different ways, and the old fans watch it and go "The old show never did this! Stupid!" even though it did, they're clearly being biased. If their thoughts are simply "I preferred the way the older one did this" there's more room for legit criticism. They could have a real reason for disliking the way something was handled in the new show.

The important thing is accepting that their opinions aren't fact, and that other people can think differently. It's fine to prefer the old show, and fine to prefer the new one, it's fine to like both, or dislike both. Saying, "The old show was better and anyone who doesn't agree is wrong!" is what I'd have a problem with.

Also, if the reboot does something very different from the original, then it wouldn't come as much of a surprise to me if some fans didn't like it. Two drastically different shows from the same franchise just won't always appeal to the same people, and that might just be their taste, and that's fine too. If they like the original show for certain reasons, there might be new reasons to like the new one, and maybe those reasons just don't appeal to them.

Edited by BasementLuna

Sadly I think it really boils down to we won't get a second season because people are not giving this show a solid chance. I am curious to see if things would have turned out differently if Tara Strong didn't kick up that fuss a couple of months ago. I'm willing to wager that if she instead of whining, embraced the new cast out of the gate that people would have been more accepting of this new show. I can't help but feel she poisoned the well before it even began, because no doubt in my mind she is partially responsible.

I'm re-watching some of the older episodes. I have to admit, I also miss the violence. It's more violent than I remember it being when I was a kid.

0:54 I forgot there was actual blood. I miss the blood.

Then again, things are different now than what they were in the '90's. I can see why they've toned down the violence.

I think the new reboot of PowerPuff Girls is actually pretty decent enough to get me to re-watch the original (maybe) and then get to watching the reboot.

The shorts caught my attention so yeah.

• 2 years later...

One thing I really miss though is how this brings up a recurring problem with CN: they do not care about preserving their old content. PPG came out as a complete boxset on DVD 10 years after it aired, and it's been nearly 10 years since then and... No Bluray release. It was released one time as a whole show on a DVD set and that was a decade ago. You'd think with SOME restored interest that they'd do some kind of home release, but the reality is... CN doesn't care. Just like what they did with Regular Show, once it's not on the air making cash on air, they don't care anymore.

Since I posted in this thread almost three years ago, my thoughts on this show have sorta changed. I haven't watched anything from the first two seasons in a while, so I don't know if I'd feel any different about them, but the current season has been a mixed bag for me. There are some episodes I like, and some I don't like. While not 100% confirmed, it might be in its last season, and I'd honestly be fine with that.

13 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

One thing I really miss though is how this brings up a recurring problem with CN: they do not care about preserving their old content. PPG came out as a complete boxset on DVD 10 years after it aired, and it's been nearly 10 years since then and... No Bluray release. It was released one time as a whole show on a DVD set and that was a decade ago. You'd think with SOME restored interest that they'd do some kind of home release, but the reality is... CN doesn't care. Just like what they did with Regular Show, once it's not on the air making cash on air, they don't care anymore.

For what it's worth, it looks like they're re-releasing the movie.

https://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Network-Powerpuff-Girls-Movie/dp/B07NRLKDDK/

10 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Since I posted in this thread almost three years ago, my thoughts on this show have sorta changed. I haven't watched anything from the first two seasons in a while, so I don't know if I'd feel any different about them, but the current season has been a mixed bag for me. There are some episodes I like, and some I don't like. While not 100% confirmed, it might be in its last season, and I'd honestly be fine with that.

For what it's worth, it looks like they're re-releasing the movie.

https://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Network-Powerpuff-Girls-Movie/dp/B07NRLKDDK/

Annnnd DVD only... in 2019.

Sadly, I prefer the original than the reboot version. The fact that Cartoon Network had to ruin a classic gem by seriously downgrading it is an insult among veteran fans. It's the reason why I hardly ever watch CN anymore.

No offense, OP.