Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S06:E04 - On Your Marks

Jeric

What did you think?  

145 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the episode?

• I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't care for it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT!!!!!

Too bad there was no Mane Six in this episode. But odds are, it might have taken place during the events of The Gift of the Maud Pie.

Now, I know you're saying, Sweetie Belle was crocheting with Rarity, but I don't explicitly believe that. Sweetie Belle may have learned how to crochet alone by now.

• 4 months later...

To be quite honest, this is the worst episode of MLP since season 3 (eww the finale!). There was little there to me, the songs kind of sucked musically, and it was pretty embarrassing to watch. I felt like Hasbro used this episode just as a filler quite honestly. Yeah I felt like it was honestly that bad.

Edited by TwillyFSniper

• 1 month later...

I personally think this episode is an underrated gem, I adored it the first time I watched it. I love the fact that the CMC are still pursuing other interests even after getting the same cutie mark (and it's more interesting that it's not their "obvious" talents"), and how it affected Applebloom. It's pretty sad considering she was kind of alone before meeting them, and searching their cutie marks is all they had been doing since they met. I'm tempted to say this episode makes AB my favorite CMC, but then I watch The Fault In Our Cutie Marks and I say it's Scootaloo, sadly Sweetie Belle didn't have her time to shine individually this season so she's getting left behind. On another note, the dancing pony is adorable.

The song was touching yet not so impressive at first, but it really grows on you after a few listens. Michelle Creber is not only a talented singer, but a great VA, and that alone makes the song great.

• 6 months later...

Underrated. To be honest, I still find it a little disjointed, as I'm not sure what Tender Taps has to do with Applebloom learning to try new things, and I think that basing Applebloom's character arc around a misunderstanding is a little underwhelming, but I grasped the emotional core a lot more this time around, and it's still consistently hilarious. At times, its themes echo "Twilight's Kingdom," and that's quite a high compliment from me. Like Twilight, Apple Bloom is trying to come to terms with major changes in her life, specifically Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo wanting to try new things on their own, and since she doesn't feel the same way, she's instead trying to replicate the experiences they had together while finding their cutie marks. She quits when she fails at something because she hasn't made a connection, and that's what she's really looking for. That's why she talks so much about friendship and not being alone, and I think there's a lot of resonance in that. It's kind of hard to pick between her or Scootaloo for the most sympathetic of the Crusaders, as I like them both for different reasons, but I might actually go with Apple Bloom simply because her problems are more mundane.

Making it all a misunderstanding really does make the story feel kinda pointless, though, and that hurts the emotional resonance a bit. I suppose it's the only way it could have gone, though, and it helps Apple Bloom realize that she could have helped Tender Taps. I still don't think the two stories have that much to do with each other, but it's nice to see the Crusaders doing something new as a group, and I have a soft spot for how much this episode tries to make meaning of season 5's big change. I'm not sure this has much of a moral, though, and what moral it could have is kinda hurt by making the entire story about Apple Bloom outright misinterpreting what was said. 

And I'm baffled as to how anyone can find this boring, because I think this is one of the funnier episodes of the entire season. The stretch where Apple Bloom tries to find her own way isn't as enjoyable as the first half or the climax, but that first half is just packed with great humour, and seeing Tender Taps go on stage in the climax is a lot of fun as well. I also find the songs here emotionally evocative, if not terribly memorable. I really do think this episode deserves more credit. 

Score:

Entertainment: 8/10

Characters: 8/10

Themes: 6/10

Story: 7/10

Overall: 75/100

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty good episode, and that's coming from someone who doesn't really like CMC episodes. 

Also, anyone else notice the Pablo Picasso, Leonardo Da Vinci, Salvador Dali, and Andy Warhol ponies in the art room?

Spoiler

cea.png

latest?cb=20160410185337

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This episode is fine. There's nothing wrong except the story feeling a bit too unfocused, but most of the episode is just okay. Some jokes work, but most of them are pretty bland. Apple Bloom's conflict isn't bad, but it gets overshadowed by Bloom and Gloom which handled Apple Bloom's insecurities in a much more interesting way. In the end, nothing really stands out here, but I guess it's watchable.

Score: 6/10

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

This one was okay. A bit unremarkable, but an alright CMC episode.

Edited by Cash_In

• 6 months later...

I probably should have known better, but I worried that the episode lesson would be for Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell, and the importance of spending time with your friends. I’m glad they didn’t go with that.

I’m not the biggest CMC fan, but I enjoyed the episode. Their cutie marks seem to have double meanings though. Maybe this is the start of helping others and having their own talent. Sort of like how the Main Six have their jobs and now do the map quests.

• 1 year later...

It was fairly interesting. I was never really into the CMC that much but hey, they are pretty interesting characters. Their talent is in helping others get their cutie marks but also understanding themselves more. I like Apple Bloom's accent. Not too bad.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

Such a episode was of course necessary after they got their Mark in season 5. The show kept the CMC helping to find cutie marks  For this kind of show I prefer it that way. I think this episode here were the creators brought the idea to practice is really well done and interesting.

For me it was especially interesting to see that Sweetie Belle and Scoots had not such a hard time to find a new hobby / explore a new side of them self while AB needed some more time.

It was nice to see Treehugger again :)

It's a good episode, not perfect, but I liked it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

A pretty average CMC episode imo. Nothing really sticks out in particular. Song was decent, Bulk Biceps talking was cool. And I like the overall message of the episode, being comfortable doing stuff on your own outside of your usual friend group.