Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S06:E04 - On Your Marks

Jeric

What did you think?  

145 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the episode?

• I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't care for it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT!!!!!

This was the kind of an episode MLP: FIM is known for. Not spectacular, but good. Cheesy, but not too cheesy. Had a lesson that’s not lame, preachy, or in your face. And even though it was moving along in a somewhat predictable manner, it had no needles clutter or fanservice that would waste our time away from the main storyline. Plus we had character progression as a nice little bonus. I’d say it was the best episode of S06 thus far.

• Brohoof 2

Okay someone else just mentioned this to me but this was the first episode where none of the Mane 6 appeared (Save for the theme) 

Jesus you're right...This is actually a very historical episode. :o

• Brohoof 2

I think it's a bit unfair trying to compare this episode, with crusaders of the lost mark, considering they have both different feels and lost mark had major series changer in it.

Not that i disagree with your opinion, since it's yours. But i rather see an episode for what it is.

Ok, I kinda understand the point that comparing those episode for the feels is a bit weird, but I was just comparing them for their respective quality. But I see your point there :)

Is it just me or...was this episode actually very sad for anyone else? The overall theme of being alone, seeing friends go off to do their own things, while you yourself have nothing major to do, that is something I feel quite a lot to be honest and that actually has me kind of sad now. I know, I am an overly-emotional dingus, but I am wondering if anyone else feels that way about the episode. The song was really well done, at least, for a country style song, but wow did it make me feel down. That's just my own personal feelings and whatnot. 

Overall though, I found this episode to be quite enjoyable despite this. It really answers a lot of questions that many of us had about the CMC's now that they have obtained their Cutie Marks and this was a great way to cement their friendship, their goals AND them doing many other things besides just Cutie Mark hunting. It opens up a lot of doors and that is quite cool, plus the new colt was cute. Speaking of cute colts, I saw Button Mash again! That was a pleasant surprise. 

• Brohoof 7

SPOILER ALERT!!! I wasn't sure if I would like this episode because I did not want to see the CMC fight or something of that nature. I ended up really loving this episode! I loved how the CMC kept staring at their cutie marks and thought they had to do the kinds of things they did before they even had cutie marks. It was so funny and perfectly in character. I loved that they had the realization they were way to obsessed with cutie marks with Scootaloo's blunt remark LOL. I loved that they tried to do things alone because this shows that a pony has free will as to what to do with a cutie mark and what the cutie mark means. It also shows ponies can do things outside of their cutie mark talent and enjoy them. I felt it was great character development for Applebloom to have the most conflict in the episode. I thought this episode tied in with the episode "Bloom and Gloom" perfectly with Applebloom fearing she will lose her friends. Her greatest fear in this episode seems to be loneliness. Was this Applebloom's first solo song in the series?? I adored the song and the latter half of the episode because Applebloom is me in this episode. I thought I had lost something that was very very precious to me in 2015. I didn't know if I could go on without it and I was used to getting part of my identity from a particular person who I didn't get to see as often and I wasn't sure if I could do certain things without his guidance. Like Applebloom because of my own emotional turmoil at the time I made some bad mistakes and missed answers which were right in front of me. My answer came when a teacher of mine had a stroke and he suddenly needed my help. I realized through him that life goes on no matter what and there is so much more in this world that I still do not understand and I shouldn't be afraid to discover what the world has to offer by myself. I'm glad Applebloom was able to help that Colt the way I helped my teacher and come to a similar realization about herself. I also loved the animation on Scootaloo's scooter scene! Like others here have said they really stepped up on animation quality. On a side note,so sorry for going a bit off topic but now that I have learned the lesson Applebloom learned in this episode I was able to help many others and you can read about that in my own blog post here if you are interested http://cripvideoproductions.tumblr.com/post/142374475946/building-connections-sports-and-disability 

• Brohoof 1

This was a good episode. I know that feel when you do stuff you love on your own.

Totally didn't expect Bulk Biceps, Tree Hugger and especially Lyra, Bonbon and Octavia sitting together.

• Brohoof 3

My overall opinion of this episode was high on the scale. I wouldn't say perfect or 100/100 but definitely something like 92 or 95/100. The lesson was solid, the characters were fun, a new ship was christened, and also SONG. It'll be interesting to see if Taps shows up more and what will happen in future CMC episodes. I'm excited to see if they'll further develop the CMC individually, thus going the solo AND group route with their unique cutie marks.  :squee:

Is it just me or...was this episode actually very sad for anyone else? The overall theme of being alone, seeing friends go off to do their own things, while you yourself have nothing major to do, that is something I feel quite a lot to be honest and that actually has me kind of sad now. I know, I am an overly-emotional dingus, but I am wondering if anyone else feels that way about the episode. The song was really well done, at least, for a country style song, but wow did it make me feel down. That's just my own personal feelings and whatnot. 

Same. It's a good message overall, friends can't always be together, it's good to have things you enjoy yourself on your own. For me, it's a familiar experience, though for a long time it didn't go very well. I just ended up finding nothing much I wanted to do, and then all my "Friends" kept getting so busy, eventually I had nobody to spend time with, and I got left behind. This repeated itself a bunch of times, it feels awful to keep losing friends, and not have much to do, even when you're trying your best.

Nowadays I've got at least one good friend I know for sure won't do this, and he's not very busy. And I've made some other good friends too, I've picked up some hobbies. But sometimes when everyone get's really busy and I don't feel like doing much, I get pretty upset and a bit frustrated, it's a feeling I know way too well and makes me nervous every time.

• Brohoof 3

Something happened in this episode that I am almost as upset as some about Flurry Heart...The Baby Cakes still have old eye desings and act even younger than they used to! I was hoping for new character designs and it bothers me than they look younger than Flurry Heart despite being about 2 years old.

And I do not know why CMC episodes always have to be about Applebloom (and she gets most solo episodes as well).

Well anyway, the moral was nice and good to have a new colt character (do not remember the name). It was a bit predictable, not particulary funnyand the song was not that special (I think the voice actress is not the best singer). But it was still a neened episode with feels. And nice that they have found other things they like as well.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I loved the first 10 minutes, with the song and all. They should have released this episode just after they got their cutie marks, in season 5... They realized they shouldn't be together all the time (just like the mane 6).

The second part was a bit boring, but the next CMC episodes are promising.

Edited by Blobulle

Good morning, everypony, and welcome back to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews."  Well, well, well, that was a delightful episode,wasn't it?  A very lovely introduction to the CMC this season, as well as a smashing follow up to their grand finale last season culminating in their getting their cutie marks.  Without further ado, let's dive into things, this is "On Your Marks."

So I think the best way to review this particular episode is to first and foremost highlight its pacing, structure, and themes.  This episode, for covering as much as it did, was wonderfully paced and structured.  They set up the problem nicely, and resolved it just as nicely as well.  Nothing felt rushed or forced, but very natural in how quickly it was addressed.  So what exactly was the problem here?  Well, the CMC, quite naturally, need to figure out what they're going to do now.  Not as far as their special talents go, no, they quickly remind themselves that their purpose as the CMC is to help others with cutie mark and special talent problems.  The problem, they quickly realize, is that they're still fillies, pretty much limited to doing stuff in Ponyville, and there are only so many cutie mark/special talent problems in Ponyville.

Astonishingly, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo quickly realize the answer to this conundrum.  They both have a lot of other activities they'd like to do, but also realize that the other two CMC might not be so crazy about them, so they resolve that they should be able to do some things on their own, away from each other.  As the leader of the CMC, and the one (arguably) most reliant on the group dynamic (no surprise given how important family is in her life), Apple Bloom is most uncomfortable with this arrangement.  She's not sure what else she could possibly want to do besides stuff with her friends (although this is a bit odd considering we saw her earlier in the episode quite handily handling some potions at Zecora's), and eventually starts despairing as to what her life will be when she's not with the CMC.  Things get resolved nicely when her friends point out that she doesn't have to do things she's just good at, but things she just enjoys for the sake of enjoying them, and they close things by assisting a new friend they've run into overcome his stage fright and earn his cutie mark in dancing.

sig-4459669.large.jpg

Wait a minute... is this confirmation that Berry Punch and Cherry Berry are vintners?  That's... AWESOME!!!  :D 

Like I said, this episode stands out to me both for its pacing and handling of its thematic elements.  It seems like DHX just keeps getting better and better at handling the CMC, and episodes like this prove that point.  While it does get a little old at times that AB so often gets the lion's share of CMC focus, this problem made a lot of sense for her to have; like I said, she's arguably the most reliant of all the CMC on close social networks, between her friends and extended family, so it makes a lot of sense that she'd have anxiety at the thought of doing activities without them or others.  It was nice as well that Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle figured out on their own what was the best thing to do, as well as the fact that they got different results.  Scootaloo seems quite good at bungie jumping, whereas Sweetie Belle is not very good at crocheting, but they both enjoy those activities just as much all the same.

sig-4459669.large.png

sig-4459669.1128222__safe_screencap_anim

OK, WE GET IT, YOU WANT US TO LOOK AT YOUR BUTTS!!!  :angry:  Even Sea Swirl and Sassaflash seem uncertain how to feel about this  :wat: 

The first new song of the season was quite nice, nothing spectacular or very memorable, but a nice sequence all the same.  I would be remiss if I did not mention that it is very, very clear at this point that puberty is hitting Michelle Creber and Claire Corlett HARD!!!  I mean, their voices are so low now; gone are the days of Sweetie Squeak.  :(   It's sad, but it's not like they don't still sound good in the roles, and it kind of gives the impression that they're getting older.  It's just weird still that Scootaloo sounds the most like she did when the show started out of all three at this point. There were some creative and fun looking new supporting and background ponies introduced, most notably Tender Taps, good, typical CMC humor, and all in all the episode just had a nice, relaxed, Ponyville slice-of-life feel to it, despite, as I've mentioned quite a bit, hitting on some important themes.  I don't have a whole lot to say about this one, but what I do have is nothing but praise.  This was a great start in the season for the CMC, and I can't wait to see where they go from here.  Until next time everypony, this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off! *cue dramatic exit*

• Brohoof 7

Is there anywhere here that has like a compendium of the background characters? Bc I need that in my life...also if anyone has like a really good quality screen grabs of the ballet teacher and of tender tap's cutie mark can they post it pleeeaaasseeeee

Is there anywhere here that has like a compendium of the background characters? Bc I need that in my life...also if anyone has like a really good quality screen grabs of the ballet teacher and of tender tap's cutie mark can they post it pleeeaaasseeeee

mlp.wikia.com has a character page that is updated quickly.

you can also go to the episode page for this ep and see a gallery of images

• Brohoof 2

mlp.wikia.com has a character page that is updated quickly.

you can also go to the episode page for this ep and see a gallery of images

Awesome lol thank you very much!

That was a solid episode. I like that they're not all doing the same thing all the time anymore, and the song was fantastic. I give this episode a 9/10.

Btw, anyone else notice the similarity between Tender Taps' and Scootaloo's color schemes, even the eyes?

• Brohoof 2

Yes, the CMC have NEVER done anything unrelated to their cutie marks in previous seasons. ......Seriously, guys? Annoying continuity errors AGAIN?

A good episode but I felt it kind of meandered until the dancing scene. I really liked the cameos, especially Treehugger's. 

not sure if on purpose or not, but the meandering nature of the episode matches the meandering nature of the crusaders as they try to figure out what's next.  

Its possible the writer did it to help us feel as confused as they were?

• Brohoof 1

Hi guys! I hope you all liked this episode! It was a lot of fun to board some of it as it was my very first MLP episode ever to board! If you guys have any questions - ones that do not require me to break my NDA - then have at it. I'll try to answer them as best as I can. In the meantime, I did answer a good amount of questions over at the 2nd Q&A thread, in case you're wondering: 

https://mlpforums.com/topic/150185-ward-jenkins-qa-20/

• Brohoof 3

I really liked this episode. I'm glad that they decided to address a lot of the questions left up in the air after COTLM. Also, we got our first song of the season, and it was pretty sad actually. Seeing Applebloom feeling so alone and thinking her friends didn't want to hang out anymore was incredibly depressing. It was also pretty cool to see the CMC helping somepony find their talent. I'm definitely looking forward to more episodes about them doing that. Overall, this was a really great episode! I'd rate it 9.5/10.

• Brohoof 2