Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Joel Schumacher did batman more justice than Batman v Superman did.

Buck Testa

Batman and Robin was a cheesy, awful, cringe worthy movie that is great fun to laugh at for all the wrong reasons. Its so camp and over the top in its terribleness that you can't help but find some kind of masochistic joy in sitting through it with a bucket of popcorn, cracking jokes about it with some buds. 

Batman V Superman made me almost viscerally angry by the end of the movie. Not because of the actors, the actors did exactly what they were supposed to with the haphazard script they have been given, Even "Alex Luthor."

No what ticked me off is buried under the joyless, pointless tedium that was Batman's fever dreams and the million and one subplots that were scurrying everywhere trying to manifest a franchise out of thin air -- was a potentially good movie!

Their was things that were good in it! A great movie was there! I could almost taste it! However someone went into the proverbial kitchen and just took all the ingredients off the shelf and shoved it all into the pot.

You could of cut SO much out of this damn movie and it would of been just fine. 

However, you also got his problem of rampant Character Assassination levels of OOC running around in this movie. Batman is a psychopathic mass murderer that was so abysmally portrayed by the script (The actor was great, he deserved a better movie) that if he didn't have any of his bat gadgets you wouldn't even recognize him as the caped crusader.

The Man has ONE RULE, One rule that made him an icon; No killing. He's even saved his own villains because of this very code. In here, he's just a deranged psycho with a ton of cash mowing down bad guys and branding them for death in prisons. That's not Batman. That's Rorschach, That's the Punisher, that's any other no prisoner vigilante than Batman. The real Batman would of beat the ever loving sh*t out of this rendition of himself for sullying his name.

Then there is Lex Luthor, or "Alex Luthor." They might as well of got Jim Carry to reprise his role as the Riddler in this movie, because that is exactly who this version of Lex was. This was not the cold and calculating businessman that operated so carefully that he was beyond the reach of the law. That was not the Lex whom exploited the heroes morality to give himself immunity from getting taken down by them. This was a knock off villain that so thoroughly did not resemble the source material that calling him by that name is straight up heresy.

Then there is Doomsday, the monster that managed to break superman so frustratingly shoe horned into this already over stuffed script. Rendered into nothing more than a CG monstrosity that looked worse than something that was produced over a decade ago like the Lord of the ring's Ogres. This thing was as flagrant a misrepresentation of the character as the Deadpool with his mouth sewn shut in that one disaster of a wolverine movie.  

Batman and Robin is a terrible, TERRIBLE movie, but for all its camp and corny lines it never so completely destroyed the essence of who these characters are like Batman v Superman did.

This thing felt like a fanfiction written by someone who wasn't a fan and did not understand the source material to the point that every single character was flanderized to the point where they don't even resemble who they are supposed to be anymore. It was pretty, the fights were cool, it had some interesting visuals, but the foundation it was based on and the pure lack of understanding that went into this doomed this thing to fail from the beginning. 

The bell has been wrung, and it created quite a sour note in my ears as I left that theater. Quite possibly the worst batman movie I've ever seen, bar none. Give me the 60's batman over this disaster any day of the week. 

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

THIS^^^

I hated the movie as well, what aggravated the most was the way they represented Batman, Strangely enough , I don't really blame the writers, as I do not believe it's their fault. I believe it's the usual executive who knows nothing about the franchise and attempts to show his dominance by giving out horrible additions to the film. 

I can imagine the meeting now, 

Executive: *grabs the original script* Hold on...this "Batman"....doesn't use a gun? and doesn't kill people?!

Lead Writer: Yes Sir! The fans will really enjoy the nod to-

Executive: *cuts off the writer* Are you trying to have us lose money?! Kids today don't want some panzy who thinks killing is wrong! They want grit! Action! Guns ablazing! and a hero who likes to toy with their enemies~ . Re-write the script or you're fired.

Lead writer: Y-...yes Sir!

Edited by DefinitelyNot Vulcan
  • Brohoof 2

THIS^^^

I hated the movie as well, what aggravated the most was the way they represented Batman, Strangely enough , I don't really blame the writers, as I do not believe it's their fault. I believe it's the usual executive who knows nothing about the franchise and attempts to show his dominance by giving out horrible additions to the film.

I can imagine the meeting now,

Executive: *grabs the original script* Hold on...this "Batman"....doesn't use a gun? and doesn't kill people?!

Lead Writer: Yes Sir! The fans will really enjoy the nod to-

Executive: *cuts off the writer* Are you trying to have us lose money?! Kids today don't want some panzy who thinks killing is wrong! They want grit! Action! Guns ablazing! and a hero who likes to toy with their enemies~ . Re-write the script or you're fired.

Lead writer: Y-...yes Sir!

Meanwhile, in every non-action part of the movie. ....

Kid: what the heck is going on?

Meanwhile, in every non-action part of the movie. .... Kid: what the heck is going on?

months before the movies release,

Lead writer: Alright sir, we've made the changes that you've asked for.

Executive: Woah, hold up, I just had a couple more excellent ideas! 

• Brohoof 1

I have never watched the Movie nor have i read the Comics, so i apologize for being wrong if i am but didnt Batman actually kill People in his very early Comic Books? Like, the very very old ones?

And didnt Batman try to kill Superman, in the The Dark Night Returns Book?

Isnt that, what he did sometimes? I mean, by all the different Versions and Canons of Batman, is there even a true Version of Batman?

I mean, they are a lot of different Comic Book Series, different Books and different Media incarnations, so i think its really difficult to say, that one of them is the true Batman.

If i would make a Superhero Movie, i would have no idea where to start...what canon should i use? The New 52 ( or whatever its called ) that some Comic Book Fans hate? The very old ones? The Middle Ones? The Books? The Graphic Novels???

What am i supposed to do by all the different Versions?

I think, by all the different Batmans, its okay if they get it a little bit wrong, maybe they just read the wrong ones, where Batman actually killed someone and thought it was okay, because im confused about all the Canons and remakes and what not.

I think Comic Book Movies are just in General difficult to adapt, by all the different Source Material.

And, if i remember correctly, in the first Batman Serial, Batman and Robin ( spoiler ahead, if someone wants to watch the old Serial ), they actually let the evil Guy fall into a Trap, so that he got eaten by alligators. And Batman did nothing to save him, he kinda just stands there.

So, even in Media Adaptations, he killed someone or at least didnt helped, while someone was about to die.

So...im not mad that Batman kills people in this new Movie, because im just confused about the Canons of Batman anyway.

But again, i can be wrong, since i dont read the Comics...because i wouldnt even know what i should read.

I think its just easier to watch the Movies and Series, since they are already all different enough. 

I have never watched the Movie nor have i read the Comics, so i apologize for being wrong if i am but didnt Batman actually kill People in his very early Comic Books? Like, the very very old ones?

And didnt Batman try to kill Superman, in the The Dark Night Returns Book?

Isnt that, what he did sometimes? I mean, by all the different Versions and Canons of Batman, is there even a true Version of Batman?

I mean, they are a lot of different Comic Book Series, different Books and different Media incarnations, so i think its really difficult to say, that one of them is the true Batman.

If i would make a Superhero Movie, i would have no idea where to start...what canon should i use? The New 52 ( or whatever its called ) that some Comic Book Fans hate? The very old ones? The Middle Ones? The Books? The Graphic Novels???

What am i supposed to do by all the different Versions?

I think, by all the different Batmans, its okay if they get it a little bit wrong, maybe they just read the wrong ones, where Batman actually killed someone and thought it was okay, because im confused about all the Canons and remakes and what not.

I think Comic Book Movies are just in General difficult to adapt, by all the different Source Material.

And, if i remember correctly, in the first Batman Serial, Batman and Robin ( spoiler ahead, if someone wants to watch the old Serial ), they actually let the evil Guy fall into a Trap, so that he got eaten by alligators. And Batman did nothing to save him, he kinda just stands there.

So, even in Media Adaptations, he killed someone or at least didnt helped, while someone was about to die.

So...im not mad that Batman kills people in this new Movie, because im just confused about the Canons of Batman anyway.

But again, i can be wrong, since i dont read the Comics...because i wouldnt even know what i should read.

I think its just easier to watch the Movies and Series, since they are already all different enough. 

The earlier stuff about batman were just older versions of his character that were replaced by newer and better thought out versions later on, same thing with Superman. Batman evolved into the character with the No kill rule and now its one of his defining character traits that feels wrong not to have. 

Marvel is proving Super Hero films can be done and can be done extremely well. As for it being difficult.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/149884-how-i-would-of-made-batman-v-superman-work/#entry4451613

There is what I would of built the script of this movie on, and it would of established everything this movie needed too. 

(edited)

I haven't seen BvS, but even if I thought it was god-awful, this is like saying it's better to drink toilet water than raw sewage.

nvm

Edited by Number107

I think it's pretty clear that Batman v Superman had no intention of doing Batman justice; nor probably anything else, for that matter.  And while you didn't knock the actors, I still think Batfleck should never have happened.  The seeming consensus that the movie sucked does nothing to convince me otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's pretty clear that Batman v Superman had no intention of doing Batman justice; nor probably anything else, for that matter.  And while you didn't knock the actors, I still think Batfleck should never have happened.  The seeming consensus that the movie sucked does nothing to convince me otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw

Like I said, they did exactly what they were told to do and they did those parts really well. The problem was the parts they were given were terrible misrepresentations of everything these characters are supposed to stand for. An actor lives and dies by his director and script, and if they don't get a good one then there really isn't anything they can do about it. 

Basically I think Batfleck would of been fantastic in a better movie with a better script. The actors were not the problem, it was the incompetence behind the scenes that was. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Strongly agree with you.  In fact, I'm gonna state that the Bat Credit Card alone was way better than that horrible excuse for a film.

Furthermore, if anything, I'd rather hear Batman sing over that.  In fact, Kevin Conroy once sang a song as Batman

Edited by SaburoDaimando
  • Brohoof 3

Wow. That sounds amazingly bad. :o  How could they mess up a Batman vs. Superman movie? Even a paint-by-numbers collision of their typical characters would have been more appealing than that, and it would have made just as much money.

Well, i personally enjoyed the movie myself but the plot feels rather rushed, and Doomsday sure was a letdown too. Other than that, it's good enough to spend the weekend.

I watched The Dark Knight Returns on Equestria.tv last night.

That Batman was the most brutal ever (e.g., he stabbed The Joker in the eye with a Batarang!), yet he still tried his absolute hardest not to actually kill.

(edited)

I watched The Dark Knight Returns on Equestria.tv last night.

That Batman was the most brutal ever (e.g., he stabbed The Joker in the eye with a Batarang!), yet he still tried his absolute hardest not to actually kill.

See that's the thing, once you say Batman is going to kill someone, then you have to ask "why is his entire rogues gallery is still alive?"

If he was totally fine with killing people, he wouldn't HAVE a rogues gallery because they'd all be dead. Under the Red Hood is an entire story where a robin that came back to life demanded to know why Batman didn't off joker for killing him. If it were the Batman in THIS movie, that would be an entirely legitimate question because that Batman killed dozens of people in BatsVSupes. In Under the Red Hood it made sense because even though he WANTED to kill Joker his moral code just wouldn't allow it. If he didn't stick to his morals and give in, he wouldn't stop killing after that. 

If that is what they were going for in this movie, then they should of had a scene, a line of damn dialogue, ANYTHING to explain why he no longer employs the no kill rule. Without any justification what so ever it doesn't even feel like Batman anymore. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

See that's the thing, once you say Batman is going to kill someone, then you have to ask "why is his entire rogues gallery is still alive?"

If he was totally fine with killing people, he wouldn't HAVE a rogues gallery because they'd all be dead. Under the Red Hood is an entire story where a robin that came back to life demanded to know why Batman didn't off joker for killing him. If it were the Batman in THIS movie, that would be an entirely legitimate question because that Batman killed dozens of people in BatsVSupes. In Under the Red Hood it made sense because even though he WANTED to kill Joker his moral code just wouldn't allow it. If he didn't stick to his morals and give in, he wouldn't stop killing after that. 

If that is what they were going for in this movie, then they should of had a scene, a line of damn dialogue, ANYTHING to explain why he no longer employs the no kill rule. Without any justification what so ever it doesn't even feel like Batman anymore. 

Plus, he kind of needs something distinguishable to avoid just being "The Punisher in a cloak."

It was definitely the worst Batman movie I'd ever seen. I'm not a Superman fan like my boyfriend is, but I walked into it thinking that Batman at least would entertain me. This Batman was a bulldozer. He wasn't smart, he didn't gather facts, he just punched and growled at everything, and Gotham City did not pull me in like it did in every other movie. The kid who played the villain woulda been great! If he had been playing The Riddler, but he wasn't so he sucked.I like the guy who played Super Man and Wonder Woman was awesome! I'm soo looking forward to her movie.

Plus, the writing felt convoluted and off. It wasn't terrible, it was just not a good movie.

Edited by Leave a Whisper