Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Selling - The Art Of Putting The Other Player Over

MDLineArt

Selling - The Art Of Putting The Other Player Over 

What Is "Selling"?

Selling is a wrestling term that comes from the person being struck by a move trying to convince the audience that it hurt more than it likely did.  The core concept is that when someone does something, it's good to react to it.

Why is Selling so Important?

There are a few reasons that this small concept does so much more to enhance the other players, and in turn your own, experience when in a Role Playing Thread.  First of all, it means what ever is done has much more impact.  The second is it shows respect to the other player and recognizing their character as more than just someone to brag about how cool you are. 

Many people put hours into their character, draw concept art (Or have it drawn for them), think of back stories they want to share and over-all want to take this Ponysonna into a group with you to have some fun.  You probably did the same thing, and you would like to be more than a one-liner character in this story your Game Master / Dungeon Master / Story Teller has crafted for you all to play in, right?

Let me compare and contrast two reactions.  For what ever reason, a character is a very strong fighter (We'll call him Bralwer), and decides after a particularly rude remark to punch another pony in the mouth.  You playing that other pony is suppose to be very tough though (We'll call him Toughy.  I know, I am lazy with names right now). 

Example 1:  Brawler punched Toughy in the face, and Toughy watched him without moving an inch, smiling.

Example 2:  Toughy felt the impact of Brawler punching him in the face, sending him over the table and crashing through the far wall.  It took a few moments for Toughy to dig himself out of the debris of Brawler's strike, and as he stood among the ruin holding his jaw, he smiled back at Brawler through the pain.

In the first example, neither character is really seems all that strong or tough, which are suppose to be their core traits.  The reason is we have no way to guage how strong Brawler is, and because of that Toughy doesn't look like he's that tough, he looks just as weak because we don't really have a gauge to know what he can take.

The second example though showcases both.  Keep in mind, you're posting as Toughy in this case.  You are trying to showcase just how strong Brawler is, because the better he looks, the better you look as Toughy.  You are showcasing a reason to believe that he is that strong (His core character trait), and using it to show your own.  Keep in mind, Toughy isn't saying it didn't hurt, he's showing it did.  In doing so, he makes BOTH characters look better.

What Do You Sell?

Take the time to get to know Out Of Character who you will be dealing with, and try to learn what the other players are trying to play.  Are they playing a particularly large character?  Try and make it a point to make that size difference matter, and make it matter to your character.  Are they playing a non-pony race?  React accordingly!

Personal Example:  I play a Changeling called Scissor Biter, who takes on the persona of an earth pony Bashful Thread who resides in Ponyville.  If you find out that he is a changeling, the WORST thing you can do is be loving and accepting like it's no big deal.  While love and tolerance is a wonderful thing, in this context what you have done is take the reveal of a character's true self and let it die in the wind.  React accordingly, threaten to call the guards, scream out loud, get hostile, do anything but react with a blank "Meh, I've seen changelings before." 

Don't be afraid of it putting the characters at odds.  Conflict is the center of a story, it's resolution the crux of any good story.

Seeding Your Character's Traits

Another concept I want to share with you is Seeding your character with things to be Sold.  When you write your posts, you have to make mention traits your character is showing, to give the other players something to work with.  If you are playing a character who is rich, you need to show that in some way.  Describe something about your character that is standing out, be it their physical characteristics, their mood, their personal ticks, strengths, weaknesses (Definitely their weaknesses!), or any other trait that is important at the time. 

Think of it as a game of Volley Ball.  This is the initial 'serve', giving the ball to the other player.  You want to give them something of note, a conflict or something to react to.  Involve them somehow.  This is often one of the things I find many struggle with, because they may respond to what was given, they don't serve anything back and in doing so the responses get smaller and smaller, until people are responding with short sentences because they have nothing else to give.  If you notice this happening, consider what you can do to give them something to react to.

Final Thoughts

Never be afraid to ask a player what they may want to get over, or what experiences they are trying to have.  Believe it or not, the character you brought into the Role Play is full of story potential for another player, especially once you compare and contrast.  Don't be afraid to use your failings as a character to put the other guy over, and you'll find that once they get it they will give it back to you.  The reward:  A game people keep wanting to come back to!

• Brohoof 5

this was very helpful 

I've wanted to get into role play for a while but I'm not that good i will definitely take note of this 

thanks!

• Brohoof 1

this was very helpful 

I've wanted to get into role play for a while but I'm not that good i will definitely take note of this 

thanks!

You are quite welcome. I am sure I will expand on this line of thinking as ideas pop up but for now I wanted to share with you all the thing that made me improve by leaps and bounds on tabletop RPGs. If even one person found this helpful then it was worth it :)

That's a very interesting concept, I've never heard of this and to be honest it makes a whole lot of sense! 

Thanks for the Advice!

No worries. I actually start new players off with this piece of advice. It's something that makes it easier for them to get involved, and the other players typically love it when you put their concept over and make it look like it matters. I've seen a lot of players try to make a unique concept and it withers on the vine because no one seems to acknowledge it as anything more than a slight oddity.

• Brohoof 1