Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health In what ways have you accidentally injured yourself?

AzureNightLight

Well, like a month or so ago I accidentally placed my hand on hot glue after I just applied it to something. 

Back in fifth grade I was hanging upside down on the monkey bars, lost my grip and fell. On my way down my leg clipped a platform that was there to help the shorter kids reach the bars. Then if that was enough, I landed on my face.

In third grade I had the bright idea to try and jump to one of the bars on the towards the middle of the monkey bars. So I jumped, was able to grab a bar and when I did my forward momentum swung me forward, I lost my grip and landed right on my back, I was in so much pain I could barely stand.

Speaking of barely standing, in second grade recess was called to a close and I started running towards the doors. The problem is that I was on a small slope of sorts and I jumped down on to the concrete and my intention was to continue running after I had jumped. But what actually happened was I landed awkwardly and my right ankle.

Then there was the time I fell down the stairs towards sharp metal objects. FUN.

When I was little, I was jumping on the bed and fell, which dislocated my shoulder. I also broke a toe trying to gallop around the house like a horse...

I have a collagen issue, so if I step wring, my joints dislocate. Most recently, it happened in a Home Depot parking lot. The employee nearby said it was so loud he thought it was a car backfiring. 

When I was about 7 years old I fell off a tree and landed on my back, as soon as I got up I limped all that way to my bed and fell asleep to make the pain go away, it didn't.

I fell over on Christmas eve and broke my leg, let's just say it wasn't a good Christmas present. I also fell over on some rocks and wrecked the skin on my hand recently, I actually got a scar from it funnily enough.

Edited by Love You

I haven't had any serious injuries by accident, the closest I got to that is smashing my foot or head into things when I was younger, or tripping because I ran too fast and recklessly, usually resulting in a bruised knee. Basically, ramming into things because I wasn't paying attention. :adorkable:

I'm surprisingly lucky, actually - I haven't hurt myself much in my life (so far). Once I fell backwards off of a swing and hit my head hard on the ground, and another time at a park I decided it was a good idea to try and jump off of one. I landed on my hand and almost broke my fingers, so soon learned that I wouldn't be doing anything like that again anytime soon. :P At that same deadly park I crouched down really low in a confined space (it was in the front of a wooden train) to try and pick up something I'd dropped. When I stood up, the tendons in the back of my leg near my knee were hurting so much I thought I'd managed to break my leg. I subsequently freaked out for no immediately apparent reason... weak joints for the win. :love: XD

Yesterday I fall off the bike because I acted like a show-off for no reason. I'm generally fine and my right leg doesn't hurt that much but I felt so dizzy when I tried to resist the pain and stand still.

A bunch of people helped me while I was recovering from the fall and they also gave me a bottle of water. I admitted to them I did it for acting cocky and the payoff was getting first aid. Well... not exactly. Nothing broke fortunately. ^^

Hold on, I've got a long list. When I was really young I fell off the side of my bed and gave myself a scar above my hip. When I was even younger, I busted my head on a coffee table. In kindergarten I injured my back when I fell off of the monkey bars. When I was in second or third grade, I busted up my thumb on a treadmill. I've fallen off of my bike multiple times, I hit a mailbox once. I've belly flopped and dived incorrectly. I pulled a muscle in my arm, I just recently hurt my knee really badly. That's not even the half of it. I can't remember everything I've done accidently to myself.

Edited by LHfunk

Haha... yes.

Torn ACL from jumping on a trampoline and moving my leg in a wrong way

Splinter deep enough that my dad, who is a nurse, had to help me get it out with a pin.

One inch cut on my knee from when I tried to jump off a swing when I was eight, and that left a scar.

Cutting my foot on a fallen bookshelf.

There's many more but that's all I can remember at the moment.

I do remember two respective occasions in which I fell while biking and using rollerblades at high velocity, resulting in fairly graphic and relatively painful tissue damage.

Not to mention applying first aid on myself was quite fun. Good times, good times.

Edited by Solid

I've fallen off my bike for going too fast more than a few times when I was a child. I haven't ridden a bike for a long while, but that's because I don't have much reason to. I'd like to use it for traveling, but I'm too afraid of riding with the traffic.

There was another point in my childhood when I was climbing the monkey bars but fell and crashed my balls. I don't know how that happened.

Most recently, I went on a trip last year with some friends. We visited Red Rock Canyon and climbed up a little, but I tried to look impressive despite having zero experience and took a pretty bad fall. I slipped as I tried to climb up further, and then I was sliding down the rock, somehow even running down for a good distance. I actually thought I would land on my feet, but I eventually tripped on my way down, tumbled, and rolled over. Had some bloody scrapes on my left shoulder, arm, back, palms, knees, and part of my right arm.

I was shaving my legs in the shower, cut my ankle too deep in there, so i got out put my towel on, bled all the way to my mums room, then passed out on her floor due to stress and blood. It was great. 

xd

I'll just summarize the most memorable ways in which I've injured myself here.

- When I was four I thought it would be a good idea to run back and forth on gravel. My knees disagreed, and I spent the rest of that vacation shuffling like a mummy because the wounds reopened whenever I bent my knees.

- I was playing Power Rangers in elementary school and I got killed, so I fell over...and rammed my face into the steel, jagged handle (They should have rubber grips, but exactly this one lacked a grip on only that side) of a tiny wheelbarrow. If I'd fallen a bit lower I'd no longer have a left eye, but as it was I just had a nasty bleeding cut.

- I got my head stuck in a climbing frame on the school playground and tore my lip pulling it free.

- At judo training I did a series of rolls, but I did one too many so when I got up out of them I slammed into the wall and bruised my toe.

- I hung my gym bag from my steering wheel as I rode my bike home, it got into the front fork, blocked my front wheel, and catapulted me onto the concrete. It only scraped my elbow bloody, but it hurt just the same.

- I lost a fencing match for third place and decided to take it out on the wall. I had an ice pack taped to my hand for two days because it had gotten nice and purple.

I probably did stupid things far more often than this, but these were the ones I could recall most easily.

There was this one time, where i was playing football (soccer) and i was the goalkeeper.

During the game, while the ball was in the other half, i pretty much just stood there and lost somehow my balance. I fell over and i already knew something was wrong with my knee. I was in the hospital an hour later and it was revealed that i stretched my bands.

So yeah, that was actually the worst i ever felt, which is good, considering there are worse injuries. :P

In elementary school around fourth fifth grade, I was playing outside when I walked over to a pole or something in the ground that had a horizontal top in front of a concrete drain or something sticking out. (Kind of difficult to describe). I was bored so I got curious. Being the intelligent, logical child I was, I decided to sit on the top of the pole, and try to not lose balance and fall.  :D

Unsurprisingly, I toppled forward onto the grass, which mostly just was annoying. I was fine, so you would think I would just find something else to do. Of course, being the child with the most common sense, I proceeded to sit on the bar again, and fell forward again.  :orly: I was shaken up again, slightly irritated now. Guess what? I did it again. That time however, did not go much better. Instead of falling forward onto the grass, gravity decided to pull me backward, onto the concrete drain sticking out. Ouch.

Another time I was in class at the end of the day, when we had to put the chairs on the desks. After that, we were about to go to our last class. Before we did though, I had managed to knock a chair down where it decided to come in contact with my face. I was in the nurse's office for fifteen minutes washing the iron taste of blood from my mouth.  :eww:

*lights cigarette like a grizzly war veteran and stares off into the sun*

Nearly lost my pinkie finger when I dropped my safety goggles in shop class.

I apparently thought I was Neo and tried to catch them in mid-air. Unfortunately, I missed the goggles and my pinkie made lightning-fast contact with the edge of a stainless steel sheet. To this day I don't have any feeling in the affected area.

There's been other things, but that was pretty bad :/

Oh my giddy aunt where to begin: 

• When I was little I had serious burns on my arm and leg from messing with a kettle
  • Broke my wrist / hand in school by running into a brick wall
  • Broke my ankle doing dares with a friend 
  • Torn ligaments more times than I can count x) 
  • Recently fractured my forearm
  • Lots of minor burns, scalds, cuts, bruises and strains 

I got in a motorcycle and ran into a wall after going just a few feet. My thighs came into contact with the still burning engine. So, i got thighs that were both brusied and burned as well as a few damaged ribs and a damaged right arm.

Another time was that it was raining and I was out getting the mail one evening. I ran back to my house and I slipped on the porch. My knee got gashed on the wall and it started boeeding so kuch that i needed fiur layers of gauze to make it stop bleeding.

All injuries i remember, are :

As a child, my friends convinced me, to trow rocks at a wasp nest. I even blocked the wasp nest with a rock. ( since the wasp nest was in the ground ) But i felt bad for the wasps, so i ran quickly to the nest and kicked the rock away. Than a bunch of wasps stung me.

Also as a child, i wondered how a cactus looked from the inside, so i tried to stab it with a plastic toy knife and got thorns in my hand. ( i clearly deserved that tough...and im very sorry... )

I fell into a bush of nettles. Many times.

I ran beside a horse, not knowing that i wasnt supposed to and the horse kicked me with his butt into a bush of nettles.

I was standing against a wall and my hand was in a door frame and i didnt know that...i think and someone shut the door and my fingers got hurt, since there got squished a little. Nothing really bad happened, just one of my nails got blue and purple...and fell out. ( not sure if this even counts as self injury...but it was clearly my stupidity. )

I bite myself on the cheeks very often, even so often, that i have scars inside my mouth on both sides...well at least it feels like it.

Also, my tooth brush is WAY to big, so every time i brush my teeth, my cheeks are starting to bleed, because of my wounds.

One time in a Swimming Pool ( hope its the right word, i mean a Water Park...or whatever its called in english ), i ran to the water slide, right against a metal pipe and lost a piece from one of my teeth. Yep, i still have that teeth and their is still a piece missing.

I think thats all.  :ooh:  Even though most of them could be counted as simple accidents though.  :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in fifth grade, it was recess time. On the playground, there was a seesaw, and there was this one time when I was on it and there were a bunch of tall girls, who seemed to be sixth graders. One or two was enough to make me go really high, but then like three to five girls started pushing one side of it with all their might, and then I ended up flying upwards, luckily not hitting my head against the seesaw, but when I landed I scraped my right arm and I tore some of my muscle. It took a while to heal.

Once when I was thirteen I punched a cedar top dresser. I struck it with enough force to put a dent in the cedar, and shatter a knuckle and fracture several spots across my hand. Had to get surgery done. That shit sucks. Lol. I had no intention of breaking my hand so that bit was an accident. XD