Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Keeping your RP alive: A guide

(edited)

Abandoned RPs. Anyone who has been around the RP forums long enough would notice that abandoned/dead RPs are commonplace.

Most of the RPs I took part in ( and have seen ) were abandoned before they could finish their main storyline. After all the effort put into the posts and the planning. What a waste.

At the time of writing this, my post rank is that of Phoenix. And I Can guarantee that at least 80% of those posts are in RP and OOC threads. So believe me when i say that I've been watching for a loong time.

From what I've observed the majority of those RPs die for one or more of the following reasons:

1: Flooding

> Usually occurring in RPs with 4 or more people, flooding is when 2 or more members go overboard with the back and fourth interaction between their OCs.

> Why it's bad: It can leave other RPers in the dust or make them feel left out. It also inconveniences the other RPers if you don't put a short summary of the interaction. All of which can cause RPers to lose interest and abandon the RP.

2: Snowball abandonment

> When one RPer abandons, others may decide to follow suit for a multitude of reasons, which can range from having their OC frozen in an interaction or simply 'losing the mood'.

3: Leaving without notice

> When an RPer DOES abandon an RP, he doesn't say that he's leaving/ doesn't write himself out, it can leave the other RPers waiting for days before realising that he has abandoned the RP. During this period of time, other RPers may lose interest. If he doesn't write himself out, it may disrupt the rythm of the RP.

4. Everyone agrees that they have lost interest.

> Well, it speaks for itself.

( Keep in note that I don't like using my brain too much, so if I have missed out anything let me know and I'll add it to the list. Heck, I'll credit you. )

Yes, I understand some of these situations are unavoidable, and real life issues should take precedence over your little online roleplay, but it's good to minimise damage where possible.

< What YOU can do as a DM to keep the RP alive >

1. Post rotation:

Members follow a strict posting order. Severely limits flexibility, but is very useful to prevent people from dropping it due to getting left behind through flooding. I'm experimenting with a variation of this method in one of the RP's I'm the DM of.

2. Dead RPers:

if a member stops posting, it'll be good for you to shoot them a PM. Lot's of RPers just... Stop posting without writing their character out, freezing interactions and can damage the RPs integrity. Shoot them a PM to kindly ask if they're interested. If not, ask them to write themselves out or offer to do it for them.

3. Pick your members:

This one's a doozy. Whether you ask them to promise to stay active or whatever, try to accept RPers only if you know that they will be committed to the RP. ( Disclaimer: at the same time, you shouldn't immediately bar members from joining a RP if they have a history of abandoning without reason. Give them a chance, but if they decide the abandon without reason again... I'll leave it to you to decide. At the same, if you happen to have a new member to the forums apply, please, try to guide them onto the proper path. )

I actually have a document dedicated to ranking members based on their activity and how likely they are to kill an rp, it's here: https://docs.google...AbGG0E-Ubk/edit

4. Be a good DM:

This is really general which includes managing bad RPers, solving conflict and importantly, keeping the story going interesting. I've seen many an RP die due to the story stalling at one part and people drop out due to lack of interest. You know what, this deserves threads, if not multiple threads of it's own.

What YOU can do as a RPer:

1. Be considerate to other members: this goes above normal manners. Have the sense to stop posting if you realise that someone's gonna feel left out.

2. Stay active: this speaks for itself

3. Don't join RPs if you know you can't commit: keep note that I said if you KNOW you can't commit. Most of the time things pop out of nowhere and screw you over. This is unavoidable.

4. Write yourself out or let others know if you plan to drop: explained above.

BONUS: RPs with friends are hard to kill. Bangcolt arena is an example of this.

A little disclaimer: While I'm very active, I'm far from the best RPer, maybe not even a good one. However, these are simply trends I observed and my proposed suggestions to help keep RPs alive. If you have anything to add to this, say it below. It's greatly appreciated. 

I made this little wall of text because well, It's really sad to see so many dead RPs lying around the place. If this little guide helps even one RP stay alive till the end, it'll all be worth it.

Edited by Guest

I actually have a document dedicated to ranking members based on their activity and how likely they are to kill an rp, it's here: https://docs.google...AbGG0E-Ubk/edit

Very interesting document,

I'm glad to know I'm not too far down the list o-o

On your topic:

It was very educational! I learned a lot!

definitely wanna try post rotation RPs now o-o