Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Make your OC's better suited for RP's

Love Doctor Blaze

(edited)

Why hello there! Nice of you to drop in! If you clicked on this thread, you were probably looking for some advice, on how to make your OC's get into more RP’s. Well, i'm not sure how much this can help, but here goes... :D

So as a DM who has created a ton of RP's (Mainly 1x1) I find it terribly annoying, when someone posts a “Simple” Or even a “Dull” Character for my RP’s. Now, when someone posts a “Dull” Character, the poster usually is requested to add more depth, or he/she is flat our rejected.

So here are some tips I can offer, that might help your character be accepted more.

TIP 1

1 When making a character, make sure that he/she is able to undergo “Character development”. Now what is “Character development” You might ask. Well, your character goes through a development, in a story. Just like we change in real life.

For example: Imagine if you character is a total shut in. This character then for some reason decides to make friends. He succeeds, and becomes more social. BOOM, there we have it. Development! It can also go the other way, if he fails, and decides to lock himself away from every living being.

TIP 2

2. This one is crucial in my opinion. Throughout the countless of RP’s that I have been DM in, I have gotten an incredible amount of characters that don’t even fit the mood. For example, I had a RP that had a rather dark theme, were the characters are supposed to be veteran warriors and stuff. Then for some odd reason, I get an OC that is your typical slice of life/romance candidate. So please do remember this. Don’t just mindlessly fire off an OC at a RP because you want to join. Make sure your character fits the RP

TIP 3

3. Depth, 3D character, flaws and natural connection. All these 3 things are important things I look for in an OC. So let us start with the “Depth”. Depth means, how much you have written on your character page. I’m talking personality, backstory, cutie mark (If pony) and appearance. Remember, your are less likely to get accepted if your character has one sentence for personality, seven for back story and two for appearance, unless the DM is desperate.

So add more text

Now here comes a tricky one. 3D character. Here, you need to make sure your character doesn’t only act on your personality, and that he/she isn’t too shallow in that department. So this is more of a “In RP” Thing, but it’s a good thing to have with you if you want to show the DM that you are a cape able RP’er.

When you want to RP as a detailed character, you just have to make sure that you got your development and new knowledge in your decision making in the RP. So for example, if your character saw someone just rob a guys wallet, and that robber then comes to ask for help later in the RP, your character will have that piece of information in mind when answering.

Take everything about your character into consideration when replying

The third one is pretty obvious. Your character NEEDS to have flaws. It’s EXTREMELY boring to RP with a perfect character. This kind of mashes together with the first tip, but this really needs to get out there.

Make your character flawed, so there is something to work on, or take into consideration when RP’ing. Adds to the 3D character part

Now here comes the bomb. A natural connection. This is something people have a really hard time getting down. Your character needs a connection with everything, so that it makes sense. I have seen a bloody bookworm know martial arts, despite her not being even close to a dojo in her backstory. It’s just the things people add to make their character “Cooler” Or they just want their character to have some abilities they want themselves, heck that’s why a bunch of us RP in the first place! To do things, we normally couldn’t. But this isn’t the only part… Your personality along with cutie mark (If pony) Should all mash together. Let’s take the bookworm I saw as example again. Her personality was: Humerous, courageous, honest and paranoid. But her backstory was about her being in her house, reading…. Reading…. Going out to get books… Reading… Rea- You get the point. So how can a personality like that form, when she basically doesn’t interact with anyone? And to top it off, the cutie mark was a hoof with fire. Showing her “Mastery in martial arts” How does that make sense?

Make sure everything has some sort of connection when wrighting your character!!!

Edited by Love Doctor Blaze
  • Brohoof 1