Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorns are not born.. "in equestria"

Chronamut

So a line in the 1st / 2nd episode of season 6, when luna and celestia see the alicorn baby

"this has never happened before, this is the first time an alicorn has been born in equestria"

IN

EQUESTRIA

So this can go 1 of 2 ways:

1) ALL ponies up until this point have had to EARN their wings, except for this baby

OR

2) Princess luna and princess celestia were alicorns born before equestria was established as a "place"

#2 seems more plausible for this reference, as we still aren't quite sure where celestia and luna even CAME from - if the realm was named something else before this, and if there was a race of alicorns they were born from,...

but that line does leave things open for interpretation.. it would make more SENSE that sin ce there are so few alicorns, that all alicorns have to EARN their wings.

I am also noticing they are staying with their "all alicorns have to be female because men just aren't good enough" routine for little girls..

so what do YOU think? Is this baby an exception because her mother is an alicorn? Or is she simply the first "alicorn" born into equestria?

Also I guess twilight and even starlight glimmer aren't the head honchos for magic anymore - twilight gets double shamed in the magic dept hahaha..

post-36100-0-91271600-1459968706_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

Hello @@Chronamut!

Since your thread is discussing the show itself, it has been moved to the Show Discussion section.

Have a nice day!

thanks a lot! I wasn't sure if only episode discussions were allowed in there or not..

I say it is open for interpretation because to me that was new information given on Flurry Heart being the only alicorn, according to Celestia, born as one in Equestria. With my understanding, I believe she is the first & only natural born alicorn which doesn't surprise me if born alicorns were actually more common.

To sum it up, alicorn ascension should be earned and not given to at birth straight away. That would just diminish any positive value or work in trying to become an alicorn yourself.

• Brohoof 1

but on the other hand having a race of alicorns would make any alicorns LEFT that much more valuable - and if an alicorn mother can have an alicorn baby, perhaps there is hope for them to regenerate as a "race".

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
so what do YOU think? Is this baby an exception because her mother is an alicorn? Or is she simply the first "alicorn" born into equestria?

I think she's just the first Alicorn born in Equestria, not the first one born in the world.

And to address the other point, it could be that there is a reason they're so rare.  They may have at one point NOT been so rare (possibly being as common as the other three pony races).  But something could have happened that essentially turned them into an endangered species.

Or maybe, and this is a long shot, the ponies of the world were ALL Alicorns at some point in history, and something caused them to lose that status (or possibly, something hid their Alicorn status somewhere).

Edited by SBaby

I'll take my best memory from my reproduction unit in science class. Cadence, the mother, is an alicorn, while Shining, the father, is a unicorn. I'm not one to overanalyze the show, so I don't know what alleles Shining and Cadence had, but I'll just say that shining has UU, which are the dominant alleles for being a unicorn, and Cadence has uu, which is recessive, ending up as an alicorn. In a Punnett Square, the offspring, Flurry, had a 50/50 chance of being an alicorn or a unicorn. It ended up that Flurry was an alicorn, but even being adults, they were amazed. Now, this is all I remember from my science class, so I might be a little off.

It is definitely something that needs explanation. I mean, why tell us that there has never been an Alicorn birth in 'Equestria' but not elaborate on that further? It brings up far more question than what its worth, with basically no answers. That was one of the negatives in the premiere for me, too much introduced with any information. Even Rarity brings up the issue with the baby being born as such, but that was thrown under the rug. 

• Brohoof 1

She's born as an alicorn as three months ago in January 2016 when Princess Cadence and Shining Armor are having a baby at the Crystal Empire, and now we have five alicorns in Equestria.

The explanation with alicorns is: both Celestia and Luna are co-rulers of Equestria as of October 2010 after the series has premiered, Cadence at the second season finale in April 2012, Twilight Sparkle at the third season finale transforming from a unicorn to an alicorn in February 2013, and Flurry Heart is born with both wings and a horn at that month before the sixth season premiere in March 2016.

Well, according to The Journal of the Two Sisters, Celestia and Luna weren't born in Equestria, but elsewhere. I may have a higher than average acceptance of B canon, but as that book was written by Amy Keating Rogers, I think that's about as close to show canon as secondary material gets. So, Celestia and Luna's musings about Flurry Heart do make sense. She is the first Alicorn born...in Equestria. Still, you'd think the two sisters would have some idea how their own biology works...

I guess the next item to clarify is for all reviewers of Friendship Games who showed clips of Twilight being bored, that the movie was clearly set during The Cutie Re-Mark, hence why Twilight was otherwise occupied. Perhaps we could make a whole series of discussions clearing up common misconceptions. I'm sure we could come up with a list. J/K, that would take too much time and effort...

• Brohoof 2

Flurry Heart aka buy our toys ruined power level so much. Really, baby that nearly destroyed whole kingdom and is more powerful than princesses sounds like some really bad OC. But no, it's official character. About Celestia and Luna, I'm willing to believe that they were born alicorns sometime before Equestria. If they aren't natural, my whole life is a lie.

I think it was just a word choice. She could have said, "This has never happened before, this is the first time an alicorn has been born." or something similar. "In Equestria" sounds better and more formal. I'm guessing lots of royal alicorns earned alicorn status after being born to a royal family, whether an alicorn parent or not, and that this is the first time the baby turned out as in alicorn. Flurry Heart could also be the first alicorn born in living memory. Books could not have recorded the birth of other alicorns.

I'll take my best memory from my reproduction unit in science class. Cadence, the mother, is an alicorn, while Shining, the father, is a unicorn. I'm not one to overanalyze the show, so I don't know what alleles Shining and Cadence had, but I'll just say that shining has UU, which are the dominant alleles for being a unicorn, and Cadence has uu, which is recessive, ending up as an alicorn. In a Punnett Square, the offspring, Flurry, had a 50/50 chance of being an alicorn or a unicorn. It ended up that Flurry was an alicorn, but even being adults, they were amazed. Now, this is all I remember from my science class, so I might be a little off.

I don't mean to be "that person" but I believe you've done your math wrong. If Shining had UU and Cadence had uu, it would be 100% for a unicorn as the offspring would be sure to have Uu, making them a unicorn. Shining would have to have Uu for a chance, and of course Cadence must have uu if she is an alicorn. 50% would still be correct though. Sorry about that. :P

• Brohoof 1

Well, maybe alicorns come from another land far away, or they could even live in a realm above Equestria, i always thought of them as being some sort of analogue to powerful angels created by a higher power... But yeah, that sounds way too religious, so, for now, i'll just say alicorns are from another realm and Celly and Luna came to Equestria to put an end to Discord's insane destruction.

Remind that she was born in the Crystal Empire. Which isn't technically Equestria....

Hahaha... Good play on words Hasbro, I applaud you. :P

That being said, Cadence was a pegasus, and Shining a unicorn. Perhaps because Cadence's a crystal pony, that those two races mashed together, making end product. :/

Perhaps the Crystal Ponies were the first actual ponies on the land, but some escaped Sombra's reign evolving into pegasi, unicorns, and Earth ponies. D:

Celestia and Luna could have been from the Crystal Empire in the first place. :3

Edited by CinnamonPop
  • Brohoof 1

I think she's just the first Alicorn born in Equestria, not the first one born in the world.

And to address the other point, it could be that there is a reason they're so rare.  They may have at one point NOT been so rare (possibly being as common as the other three pony races).  But something could have happened that essentially turned them into an endangered species.

Or maybe, and this is a long shot, the ponies of the world were ALL Alicorns at some point in history, and something caused them to lose that status (or possibly, something hid their Alicorn status somewhere).

One thing I know is that the alicorn settlement in what is now Canterlot, just banished. No explanation was made in regard in the journal, and that's all is know apart of Celly and Luna coming from there :huh:

One thing I know is that the alicorn settlement in what is now Canterlot, just banished. No explanation was made in regard in the journal, and that's all is know apart of Celly and Luna coming from there :huh:

just banished

banished

Great, now I have the headcanon of Celetia imprisoning all the other Alicorns in the moon. XD

Great, now I have the headcanon of Celetia imprisoning all the other Alicorns in the moon. XD

Yeah, that was the a low point in the book. Answered SOME questions about the princesses, but made made more questions than answers. Who knows if the movie will expand the alicorn lore, assuming they keep the alicorns lore and

Celly and Luna's knight templar brother   

as seen in the leaks :orly:

Yeah, that was the a low point in the book. Answered SOME questions about the princesses, but made made more questions than answers. Who knows if the movie will expand the alicorn lore, assuming they keep the alicorns lore and

Celly and Luna's knight templar brother   

as seen in the leaks :orly:

While I'm fully expecting the movie plot will revolve around alicorn lore and explain everything about them, I'm highly doubtful of cosmos showing up; that was SUPER early in the script after all back when they were working with Sony. A ton of stuff's probably changed by now.

Though, a rogue alicorn would make for a good villain I suppose

While I'm fully expecting the movie plot will revolve around alicorn lore and explain everything about them, I'm highly doubtful of cosmos showing up; that was SUPER early in the script after all back when they were working with Sony. A ton of stuff's probably changed by now.

Though, a rogue alicorn would make for a good villain I suppose

Yeah, it's been a while since I no longer expect Cosmos at all. While an interesting concept, it's kinda easy to mess up. But I'm sure the overall alicorn focused story will be keep intact :icwudt:  

Yeah, it's been a while since I no longer expect Cosmos at all. While an interesting concept, it's kinda easy to mess up. But I'm sure the overall alicorn focused story will be keep intact :icwudt:  

Well, even if they don't use Cosmos, they could come up with another name for an Alicorn villain.

Celestia and Luna seem to be more god-like rather than just normal alicorns like Twilight. We don't know much about their backstory, and I like to think that they aren't just alicorns. They are more than that, and Flury Heart would be the first normal alicorn that was born that way. That's my little headcannon on this topic. 

I inferred that, from the way the explanation was carried out, Alicorns are never born in utero. At least the way i see it, Celestia would have Twilight believe that Alicornhood comes along with the title as something earnes, which is why she seemed so surprised. At least, that goes against her belief.