Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why reasons for hating Rarity do not make sense

Tarnation

Wow, I'm surprised. I cant believe that some "bronies" actually stated their profound hate in that fashion. 

Considering what Jeric just posted I'm not all that shocked at all actually. 

I honestly am shocked I just read what I did.

A few posts have been hidden. Referring to normal girls as whores is the complete opposite of OK on MLPF. Stay classy people!

I don't particularly care if people hate Rarity. That's their problem.
I mean, she's no Derpybestpony, but she IS best mane six.

(edited)
If you find yourselves actually HATING one of the mane six, like actual vitriolic hatred, then I would please like to show you the door and tell you to leave the fandom pronto.

Your gatekeeping here is one reason why some people view the brony fandom as a cult. Rarity is the show's most complex character, but she's by far not one of the most accessible. She's done actions in this show that will make people not like or hate her.

1. Boast Busters: was one of the three leading offenders to the contrived conflict in Boast Busters.
  2. Bridle Gossip: sucked up to the stuck-up bitch stereotype when she spoke racist comments about Zecora's coat.
  3. Sonic Rainboom: Her worst in-character portrayal, where her vanity accentuated the conflict.
  4. Sweet & Elite: Behaved selfishly and treated the Canterlot elite as more important than Twilight's birthday. In the end, when her lies caught up to her, she got away with it with no consequences.
  5. Inspiration Manifestation: Complete focus on the look of the ventriloquist's stage without even as much as a focus on the function. When he rightly told her off for it, she got into a whining fit.

Combine that with the fact that Rarity's whole archetype (the fashionista) is notorious for its sexist stereotypes. Of all six personalities, hers is the most delicate and difficult to write correctly because of its terrible rep. For a season responsible for introducing characters and building them up, DHX executed her very poorly at the start of season one. Not everyone's going to like a main character, and there will be people who will hate a main character. That doesn't make them any less of a fan; to believe otherwise is blatant gatekeeping, and that's objectively worse than hating a character.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Sonic Rainboom: Her worst in-character portrayal, where her vanity accentuated the conflict.

Fun fact: Though I play up my reaction for humorous effect, that episode actually was the last one I watched when I tried a mini marathon of the show when I first saw some whispers of the crazy new Brony thing from people. I came away honestly believing that Rarity was one worst of the lot and typical of that archetype. Though my feelings of the episode have changed slightly since the opening and closing were well written ... I still think the middle act it is her worst appearance to date. 

Larson is a great writer ... but his weakness seems to be Rarity ... which he says is a character he always wanted to write an episode for. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I honestly am shocked I just read what I did.

A few posts have been hidden. Referring to normal girls as whores is the complete opposite of OK on MLPF. Stay classy people!

No one did that, someone posted about seeing OTHER PEOPLE doing that, and I commented on why that phenomenon exist. Nether of us were actually trying to insult anyone. Nether of us was referring to anyone as a whore, just talking about how some OTHER people in the fandom have done so and where the mindset of the people who do that comes from.

Your gatekeeping here is one reason why some people view the brony fandom as a cult. Rarity is the show's most complex character, but she's by far not one of the most accessible. She's done actions in this show that will make people not like or hate her.

1. Boast Busters: was one of the three leading offenders to the contrived conflict in Boast Busters.
  2. Bridle Gossip: sucked up to the stuck-up bitch stereotype when she spoke racist comments about Zecora's coat.
  3. Sonic Rainboom: Her worst in-character portrayal, where her vanity accentuated the conflict.
  4. Sweet & Elite: Behaved selfishly and treated the Canterlot elite as more important than Twilight's birthday. In the end, when her lies caught up to her, she got away with it with no consequences.
  5. Inspiration Manifestation: Complete focus on the look of the ventriloquist's stage without even as much as a focus on the function. When he rightly told her off for it, she got into a whining fit.

Combine that with the fact that Rarity's whole archetype (the fashionista) is notorious for its sexist stereotypes. Of all six personalities, hers is the most delicate and difficult to write correctly because of its terrible rep. For a season responsible for introducing characters and building them up, DHX executed her very poorly at the start of season one. Not everyone's going to like a main character, and there will be people who will hate a main character. That doesn't make them any less of a fan; to believe otherwise is blatant gatekeeping, and that's objectively worse than hating a character.

I can't really agree that Rarity was handled particularly badly in early S1... because frankly Rarity barely DOES anything in early S1, like outside of Look Before you Sleep she's by far the least focused on character till Suited For Success, she has a funny gag with the Dragon in Dragonshy, and gets a rare scene of interaction with Dash in Swarm of the Century... and not much more in the second half of the season she proceeds to star or co-star in like 5 episodes, and when you bring up episodes like Boast Busters and especially Bridle Gossip, basically EVERYONE acts kinda bad in those episodes in Bridle Gossip that's basically the whole point of the episode. 

As for Sweet and Elite there the important thing is how she stands up for her friends in the end and in the crucial moment stays true to herself and her morals. As for not getting punished, it's hardly the only time that has happened.

And frankly with all the other craziness in Inspiration Manifestation, I doubt anyone was even vaugely focused on that bit on the start.

Sonic Rainboom though, yeah that was rough, more than anything it sucked that was placed so soon after Suited for Success which is the first time we really get a pure spotlight on who Rarity is, that proximity killed a lot of good will. Which sucks since i think the second half of S1 for Rarity is pretty much one of the best 13 episode sections any character has had.

But really you could make a list like that for pretty much ANY of the characters, hell I could make a longer list for Rainbow Dash off Season 2 alone probably or Pinkie Pie in S4, frankly those characters had a far rougher time those seasons than Rarity ever had in Season 1. 

O and to the guy YOU were quoting, Youtube comments are just the scum of the earth in general, don't take them seriously. they are the lowest form of communication. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

(edited)

At the end of the day, who someone hates and who they do not hate is a matter of their own opinion, but as someone who is fairly like-minded to Rarity, perhaps I can shed some light on the whole "hater"... issue, if it can be called that.

Firstly, Rarity has short-comings. She is posh, high-maintenance, can be arrogant, stubborn, demanding, manipulative, and even cruel at times. These are normal character flaws that every single person on the planet has, and she is no different; the thing is that some people choose to only see the negative side of people whereas there are positives as well. Rarity has shown to be generous, self-sacrificing, tender-hearted, caring, and willing to fight for what she believes in despite hardships. I could go into more detail about Rarity and her character as a whole, but allow me to offer a different perspective of this whole point: I personally have Rainbow Dash as my least favorite of the Mane Six characters. Why? Because she is arrogant to a fault, brash, and borderline-narcissistic. I will concede that she is loyal, open-minded, comedic, and rather emotive (this is a plus for me personally), but I can not bring myself to say that these particular pluses outweigh her weaknesses, thus she is my least favorite. Do I hate her? No; she is just not as "adored" as the others are to me.

About having too many gems... Uh... To be quite honest, I have no rebuttal aside from I do not see this as anything except someone was trying to start a comment war about Rarity.

In the end, I would say "do not judge", but the statement in itself is hypocritical; telling another not to judge is judgement upon them for judging. Instead, I will say that I myself strive to see the light in peoples' hearts, for that is where the person truly lives.

Edited by Starfall_Quillwaver