Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone still use snail mail?

ManaMinori

Does anyone still see it being relevant in the digital age? Does anyone still use it?

Post offices are suffering to get by, so there's no doubt it's being crippled by email and SN, and being phased out

You mean, using real letters?

No.  :lol:

I mean, i dont know the address of any of my friends...so i have no one which i could send letters.

I only go to a post office, when im selling stuff on ebay and have to send it to someone.

(edited)

I only use mail for tax related stuff, eBay, or mail-in rebates. If I didn't live by all my family, I would probably send birthday cards too.

Edited by Cirrus.

Unless I don't know their e-mail, phone number, skype, or anyway else to contact them, I'm fine with texting and e-mail. If I don't know their address then I'm screwed until I come across them again x3

I only use snail mail when it's absolutely necessary, like in my work when customers specifically request it. Otherwise I think it's mostly an obsolete form of communication.

I don't send that many letters these days, but there are some things that email just can't compete with.  An email, even if you print it out, will never even come close to approaching the sentimental value of a hand written letter from a loved one if you're far away from home.

• Brohoof 1

Well I have but no not really, other then for sending out invitation it really just comes down to what's the most effective and cheapest way. Still having said that post offices have been booming because people are buying more online.

(edited)

Email has pretty much taken out the first-class mail market, but it's still used for things like bills or official mailings. The post office isn't in as dire straights as you might think, though. They're capitalizing on the e-commerce market and are upgrading their infrastructure to take on package delivery. The bigger challenge isn't raising revenue, but using the revenue to maintain their infrastructure and bring it to 21st-century standards.

Even if you don't think or want to use it, you're still using it, because you still have to check the mailbox for those important mailings. Also, in many situations, other carriers still use the Postal Service for last-mile deliveries (see FedEx SmartPost, UPS Mail Innovations).

Edited by Wind Chaser

I order stuff online all the time, and I also occasionally mail out packages.  I sent several American candy bars off to my friend in Finland months ago; was sooooo tempted to write something red flag-raising on the slip where I had to declare the package contents.  Oh, and we pay bills through the mail via check or money order.

There's a reason why it still exist. Various documents and attachments need to be physical, after all. Or original. Not that i use it; email is the way i send letters, if at all.

As of late no, but in the future yes once I get a desk I can actually sit at. I'm planning on starting to write letters to my older relatives  since they aren't quite up to date on this new technology. The letters will be written in cursive because my handwriting is actually legible that way and I'm planning on investing in a Wax Seal in order to make it official.  I will probably do something similar when I eventually mail of my eventually completely manuscript. 

Edited by Seraph

Not really, no. I only receive stuff I ordered online that way, but I don't send letters or cards. My handwriting sucks and I prefer typing anyway, not to mention the fact that digital is much faster.

Christmas cards & formal invitations. Some bills I prefer to mail a check, but mostly online. I occasionally write a letter. I mail things quite a bit.

I get more responses sending query letters through real mail instead of email also, in regards to the entertainment industry. 

Edited by PiratePony

I think online shopping has probably given post offices a lot more to do. :)

my sister and I also send letters to one another, ever since I started school in a different city. It's much nicer than email.

"Can you seal it with a loving kiss? Can you cry tears on to a clacks, can you smell it, can you enclose a pressed flower?"

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

Every once in a while, I will put an envelope in the mailbox for pickup. I still use the post office sometimes if I need to ship a package or pick up something that requires a signature.