Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are forums a waste of time?

Ziggy + Angel + Rain

I could go all philosophical on your ass and say, Ultimately everything is a waste of time, but that sounds extremely depressing x)

I think I will go philosophical.  Might just be sleep-deprived enough to try it!

I'mma take a clumsy existentialist approach: The forums, much like, well, EVERYTHING, have no inherent, objective value.  Individual forum goers subjectively attach a sense of worth to the forums and the activities therein.  It's only worthwhile if you think it's worthwhile, and it is objectively worthless (i.e. a waste of time).

But I rather like that.

"This means something to me because I feel that it means something to me."  I think that's a sight better than anything simply being valuable, by default.  It's more personal, and it's the personal stuff that means the most (or anything at all).

Oh, my own Bonus Question: I'd say I'm a sunflower kind of guy; though not the evil, jazz flutist sort.

I guess they could be, but personally? Not really. If it wasn't for this forum I'd barely have any social interaction at all, and I'd have literally no way to talk about ponies. To me, online talk in a place like this is both easier, and much more enjoyable than real life social interaction, which I've always found really difficult and unpleasant. Even after taking a lot of time to improve my social skills, it was never much fun.

Plus, I met my best friend for the last two years here. There's no way I could think forums were a total waste of time after that.

• Brohoof 2

If the forums benefit you in any way I wouldn't call them a waste of time. I guess I could see how they would be a waste of time but I don't think they are.

Personally, I've always had trouble socially interacting irl (severe social anxiety and all) and a forum is the perfect place to talk and make friends with people I otherwise couldn't.

I think forums are great tbh, talk with people of similar interests and possibly make some friends along the way

• Brohoof 1

The way I see it, forums offer an opportunity to chat with and make friends with people that share the same interests which not everyone would be able to do in real life.. This is the case for me as I don't know anyone in real life that enjoys watching MLP. So these forums have been great to discuss what I wouldn't usually be able to.

I'm just here to meet people, annoy people I've already met here, and to answer pointless questions, my fave flower is the snowdrop.

As to if it's a waste of time... well, that depends on the individual.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's an outlet of socializing, so I really don't think that it is necessarily a waste of time. I've never been able to have much of a social life. Forums have been a great outlet for me of socializing and growing up as a result for over a decade now.

Besides that, forums expose you to a much wider variety of people than you'd ever run into in real life. People from different countries, religious beliefs, etc. You learn a lot. Without the internet (and mainly one member on a forum I was a member of a decade ago) I would probably still be drudging along as a pseudo-Christian, believing only because my family does. Because I remember when I first encountered an atheist IRL and he was a bully and a jerk and it had quite an influence on my thinking "Huh, so they are bad people..." but a year or so later I joined that forum and saw a member who proved otherwise, and I was finally able to come around and see what it was I believed/didn't believe.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
Pretending you're a grizzled old sea captain

Can't you do both?

<----------------

In all seriousness, I think that it's not a waste of time, at least for me. Yeah, I know, surprsing, because I feel I'm on here a lot in the last few months and post incessently. However, being an unemployed stay-at-home dad/house husband for years has gotten me a bit out of touch with communicating with adults on a regular level. It's great practice to post on here, get a feel for what others think, and get back to communicating. This has helped me overcome fears of mine from the past that snuck back up while being unemployed - being able to talk to strangers, find appropriate ways to communicate, and just...you know, talk to people.  It's worked on building friendships here and out of the forums. 

Also, being on a forum like this has reinforced the idea of me liking who I am and what I like, and not worrying about what other people think. I don't actively walk around singing the FIM theme song, but whether it's in front of other parents, or family or whatever, if it gets brought up, I will say that I enjoy the show and it's great for grown ups too instead of being mum about it. I feel like I've always been open to a point, but not verbal. I'm shy and kind of awkward - being able to know "hey if they think I'm weird, so be it" won't be the end of me. Having a terrific wife to back me up has helped as well.

The forums have also given me the excitement feeling again - the ability to talk about a subject I enjoy, delve deep into, learn how it ticks and see the wonderful creativity that a show that touches so many people can do. Being in the trenches of the forums has given me that, plus it's reinforced my own career in this field.  

So for me, not a waste of time. It's helped my time out of the forums. Plus there's a ton of worse things I or anyone could do with their free time than talk to people with like minded interests. 

As MiataPony stated:

I think of it as investing time in the things you like.

Nothing wrong with that.

Also, my favorite flower is the hydrangea. We have a beautiful large bush in our backyard, plus they were in the centerpieces of my wedding as pictured here.

fvM19ar.jpg?2

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 1

I'd say it depends on what you do on the "forums"   and how you act on them that depends if the "time" is a "waste".   Yet you can say that about a lot of things also we do in life given on how you spend the time of the choosing.

Also my fav flower are Apple Blooms.  

• Brohoof 1

I dunno why I use this site so often, it sucks up a lot of my time that I could be spending on homework or something.

• Brohoof 2

Writing, reading, peeling potatoes, and especially pretending to be an old sea captain can also be wastes of time :P. Perhaps this forum is a waste of time for me, but I don't really mind. It's a fun place and I like coming here to talk with my friends.

My favorite flower is the tiger lily. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

If I believed that they were a waste of time, then I wouldn't have spent over 3 years as a member of these forums.

I use MLPF as a source of socializing and talking with people that I normally wouldn't be able to do so.

Plus I find it to be really entertaining to read the discussions that occur here and see many different viewpoints and occasionally add my on into conversations.

I find that joining these forums has been a pretty good thing for me so far.

• Brohoof 1

It's no more a waste of time than many other things we do for enjoyment, watching TV or films for example.  Depending on the nature of the forum and the particular discussions that you may get involved in it can be a vessel for personal growth, comparing your views to the views of others, especially if those others hold opinions contrary to your own leads to not only better understanding of the opposing side of a discussion but can in fact develop, change or strengthen your own views as well.

(Thistle)

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes, writing on Forums seems like a giant waste of time. I mean in a multimedia Forum, nobody reacted to anything i posted.

I mean, i post my Music, in one of the biggest ( i think it was the biggest ) Multi Media Side ever and nobody reacted to it.

Than i posted Art and multiple treads in a Brony Forum and only 1 or 2 People reacted to it.

It seems, that i mostly get ignored. Not here on Mlp Forums, but in other Forums, which i than ask myself : " What are you doing here? Apparently no one cares about you, anyway. You might as well not even exist. "

But sometimes, even being on here, makes me feel, like i could do something else, seeing how most of the time, i only post numbers in the " Count to a Million " Tread. Which isnt very productive. But thats my fault.  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Guess it all depends how you're feeling at the time, but I don't usually feel like my time spent at forums is time wasted, since I get to see what others think about things.

• Brohoof 1

Dunno. Maybe it does take away from time that could be spent doing things like homework, but I never regret posting on this forum tbh. It feels like its healthy to talk to others who enjoy MLP, and this cite has been a pleasant distraction from other stuff.

• Brohoof 1

It all depends on what moderation you use it to. I remember a time when I was pretty much addicted to this forum to the detriment of my real life to the point that I did some things I shouldn't have and got banned for a couple of months. It really got me to slow down, get my life back in order, realize what I was doing to my life, and I've become a better person since then.

I've met some of the best friends I've ever had through this forum. Posting on forums and meeting the people on them (if they're the right kind of people) is well worth the time in some cases. It's great to exchange ideas and hobbies this way. It all depends on how you use it. If you're just on a forum to gripe about how everything and everyone else sucks then you're definitely wasting your time.

• Brohoof 2

I go on here to talk to people and share opinions, which is something I enjoy doing. I like going on here, so no, I don't think it's a waste of my time. I don't even go on here for very long. Around 1-2 hours everyday, tops.

And my favorite flower.. I'll say sunflower.

Edited by PonyLaces
  • Brohoof 1

The way I look at it, nothing in life is a "waste of time". Our character is constantly changing based on who and what we subject ourselves to. Therefore, it's our job to put ourselves in positions where the outcome of our presence will lead to us becoming better individuals. I'm here on MLP forums because it's a positive place that's taught me a lot about my fellow humans (and ponies).

Also, I'm here just because it's fun XP

I used to plant petunias every spring, so I guess they'd be my favorite, even though I quit gardening a LOOOOOOONG time ago.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Socializing is never wasteful, no matter how it's done. Texting, calling, Skyping , whatever it is, it's important to us humans to speak with others. Forums is just a different way of communication.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, yes, forums can be a gigantic waste of time when used in excess. They can be a fun place to meet and hangout with friends and entertain yourself, but the excess use of any medium of entertainment could be better spent doing more productive things. There should be a balance -- is what I'm saying. Forums shouldn't eat away large amounts of time that could be spent cultivating talents, spending time with people in real life, going outside, peeling potatoes (lol) etc. As for MLPF, I've seen plenty of people leave because it was taking too much of their time from other more important things. Entertainment and socializing are important, but there are other things that are worth the investment of time as well. Balance is key.

Oh and my favorite flower is the Chrysanthemum :3

tumblr_nj8zu8ffvx1u5ippno1_500.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the person I guess. I've been thinking of leaving for awhile as I 'm starting to see no point, but I recently just met someone who's renewed my interest and has caused me to stay (for his sake).  Making friends is the only things that doesn't make it a waste of time to me, but I hope maybe one day we can have an off-forum communication so I can tear away for a bit. 

Although if you're addicted to the forums (or internet period) that's obviously not really a good thing. This website has never gotten in the way of my outside activities though.

• Brohoof 1

Have you ever felt as though posting on forums (can - but doesn't have to - include MLPF) is a waste of time?

Ever just asked yourself, "Self, what are you doing?  You could be drawing.  Writing.  Reading.  Peeling potatoes.  Pretending you're a grizzled old sea captain...  Why are you wastin' yer time a-postin' on this here forum?"  I leaned into the sea captain role a bit at the end.  Or a really poor Applejack impression; I can't tell.

Furthermore: What do you hope to accomplish at these forums?  What, if anything, do you feel you have accomplished on these forums?  What's your favorite flower?  Disregard that last question.

Nah

I consider it healthy because its a social thing. I'm making friends. That's what I want to do really. Even if I talk to 300 people here, if only 2 become good friends, I'll be happy with that. 

• Brohoof 1