Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there a way to tell different storyboarders work apart?

I guess ideally you shouldn't be able to. But some of the writers, for instance, have pretty distinct styles.

I don't really have a good understanding of where the influence of the storyboarder ends and the animators begin.

• Brohoof 3

Possibly the last question I personally have: seeing as how your first episode came out quite well received, are you feeling more confident in working on episodes still in production? :P I imagine there might have been some stress prior to this one airing, and getting feedback from those not on staff with the show, haha.

Another good question! Yes, now that I see what goodness came from my (questionable & flawed) boards for the first episode I worked on, I have a much better feel for the following episodes that I boarded. I did 3 more - all are probably done, and one could possibly be in final tweaks (it's a later episode down the season). I felt that i got better as time wore on, and as I had a better sense of how the show worked. My favorite episode won't be for a while - I'll be sure to tell you guys which one that is. ;) 

There's a little stress in seeing people's negative reactions to this ep, but honestly, why bother? Unless they mention something specifically I did that they had a problem with - then I'll ask why and perhaps explain what I did. But everyone should understand that there's a great deal of people who work on the show, and still SO many who work on it even before I get the script for each episode! So, keep that in mind. ;) 

This is a very general question, though I understand if you can't answer it for contractual reasons.  But, I would like to ask if you storyboarded just for CMC episodes, or if you got to work on storyboards for other characters outside of the CMC?  I figure that's a safe question to ask, and obviously not asking for specific episode titles or anything.  But again, if you can't answer I understand.

I will answer as simply as I contractually can: I did boards featuring the CMC, and I did boards that do not feature the CMC. 

How's that? :D

• Brohoof 4

I will answer as simply as I contractually can: I did boards featuring the CMC, and I did boards that do not feature the CMC. 

How's that? :D

That works perfectly, thank you very much!  :proud:

And since we're not limited to MLP questions here, might as well ask if you've seen Batman v Superman and, if so, what your thoughts on it were?  I myself (if it's not apparent already from my avatar  ^_^) am a DC fan first and foremost (though not pretentiously so, I love going on the Marvel ride and enjoy how well their films and shows have been doing), and while I'd definitely give it a B to B+, I understand why it's not resonating amazingly with audiences.  It's a flawed film, for sure, but I am super excited all the same to see where the DC Extended Universe goes from here.

Heya again, Ward! Haven't watched today's episode but I bet the storyboard artist made a great job! ;) Can you, as a storyboard artist, add visual references (or easter eggs) ...

(Like Twilicane making a quick appereance in episode 3 of this season)

sig-4459694.twilicane_by_lonmcgregor-d6v

...in your work? If so, have you done it, and have they made it to the actual episode?  :P

I can say that a good amount of easter eggs and wink & nods to the audience are either already put in by the writers, or the directors (like Jim Miller - he loves doing that sort of thing). I think that if I was able to put in any cultural reference or any previous easter egg into the show, it would have to be OK'd by the director - and they are totally open to anything like that. As long as it makes sense and the audience gets it! Or maybe not - sometimes it's an inside joke. 

Is there a way to tell different storyboarders work apart?

I guess ideally you shouldn't be able to. But some of the writers, for instance, have pretty distinct styles.

I don't really have a good understanding of where the influence of the storyboarder ends and the animators begin.

You guys are giving me some great questions to answer! Well, I'm guessing to the untrained eye, you probably would not be able to tell the difference between different storyboard artists. And really, the directors wouldn't want you to be able to see any major changes when watching the show - in fact, they make sure that there's no scenes or sequences that might take you out of the MLP: FIM world. Some sequences might be easier for certain artists - like action sequences, etc. and when they dole out the episodes, I'm sure the directors have in mind in who they think would be best to board those particular eps. It's like casting a movie/play - you want to get the best person for the job at hand. 

That works perfectly, thank you very much!  :proud:

And since we're not limited to MLP questions here, might as well ask if you've seen Batman v Superman and, if so, what your thoughts on it were?  I myself (if it's not apparent already from my avatar  ^_^) am a DC fan first and foremost (though not pretentiously so, I love going on the Marvel ride and enjoy how well their films and shows have been doing), and while I'd definitely give it a B to B+, I understand why it's not resonating amazingly with audiences.  It's a flawed film, for sure, but I am super excited all the same to see where the DC Extended Universe goes from here.

I have not seen BvS, but I really want to. I've been really busy lately working on a book for Leapfrog (interactive learning books) and so now that I'm done with that, I can't wait to go see all these films that's being released! 

For the record, I am in the minority of people who actually liked Man of Steel, so with that in mind, I'm thinking I'll like BvS. But I have a large gray-area for films, wherein, I pretty much like everything with little to bicker about. :) 

• Brohoof 4

I have not seen BvS, but I really want to. I've been really busy lately working on a book for Leapfrog (interactive learning books) and so now that I'm done with that, I can't wait to go see all these films that's being released! 

For the record, I am in the minority of people who actually liked Man of Steel, so with that in mind, I'm thinking I'll like BvS. But I have a large gray-area for films, wherein, I pretty much like everything with little to bicker about. :)

I liked Man of Steel as well, and that's a movie that I've actually come to like more and more every time I see it (while also recognizing that that too is not a perfect film).  But yeah, if you liked Man of Steel, you probably will like Batman v Superman, and I hope it does not disappoint when you do see it.

Just a word of warning, though, be prepared to pay close attention; I've never seen a movie so edited like a comic book, and it jumps around a lot and tries to cover a lot.  There's A LOT of set up for the larger DCEU, so just be ready for that (and possibly looking up an article after the film's over to explain some of the things they threw in there).

Let's see... how is your other work outside of MLP going right now?  You mentioned working on a book for Leapfrog?  Also, I have to ask this because my mom, who's a third grade teacher, had me read a book she recently got for her class, called Mother Bruce: ever heard of it?  It was made by Ryan T. Higgins, and it's hilarious; I'm not sure if you're familiar with that name given that you work in a similar field.

I'm out of serious questions, but I can think of a few more. ;)

Who's your favorite Cutie Mark Crusader, and is she also the most fun to work with regarding storyboarding?

Without hints as to what future episodes you've worked on have for character appearances, are there characters you hope to work with in future projects? :fluttershy: As in, episodes in the distant future.

Also, Batman, Superman, or Spiderman?

• Brohoof 3

Well, now that I know you boarded the song I have to say this ... that final shot of the song where Apple Bloom is on the bridge was the perfect punctuation to that scene. Probably my favorite shot in the whole episode as it captured the loneliness, isolation, and uncertainty she was feeling.

• Brohoof 4

Thanks for replying to my previous question :D

I'm intrigued about your answer for this one (think it hasn't been asked to you here, pardon me if it has!): 

Who's the pony you like to draw the most?

• Brohoof 1

What was your favourite moment and song from the show so far? There are a lot of different episodes from slice to life to sadder moments to more action moments and comedy. Anything you remember you really liked? It can be from your own work too^^

wow!  you're getting swarmed!  Thanks for coming to answer questions!

how much of pacing is controlled by the story board guy (what do you call the job?)?  do you have to figure out how long a scene or a beat will be?

how rough are the storyboards?  are they pencil sketches?  colored?

Thanks for answering my previous question. I was amazed by the amount that had to be drawn up if I have to be honest. Haha.

Next question is for the sake of curiosity (though not the best to ask): does anyone from DHX or/and Hasbro know that you're doing Q&As here in regards to the show?

Well, sadly looks like, as with all of these events, that we've come to the end of this one.  I want to thank Mr. Ward Jenkins once again, on behalf of all of MLP Forums and Poniverse, for taking time out of his day (on such a big day for him and his family, given the debut of some of his storyboard art in an actual show, much less one as big as MLP) to chat with us.  It's very kind and considerate of him, and we look forward to having him again later in the season.

Mr. Jenkins may answer some of the questions that haven't been answered yet, but besides that, this Q&A has come to an end.  Thank you everypony for bringing your questions to Mr. Jenkins, and if you didn't get to today, don't worry, we're hoping to have Mr. Jenkins back again later this season, so just wait and see.  Have a great Saturday everyone!

• Brohoof 3

Actually, odd question here: Do you keep copies of your storyboards, or are you required to hand all that stuff in to DHX by contract?

Whooopsie. Sorry, Batbrony! I was entering this question while you were closing it down.  :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
Who's your favorite Cutie Mark Crusader, and is she also the most fun to work with regarding storyboarding?  

Without hints as to what future episodes you've worked on have for character appearances, are there characters you hope to work with in future projects? As in, episodes in the distant future.      

Also, Batman, Superman, or Spiderman?

If you watch the episode On Your Marks, you'll notice that most of my work dealt with Applebloom - her storyline for the 2nd half of the episode is an interesting one, since she comes upon Tender Taps, who has a great talent, but is too scared to share it. So, I really enjoyed having to board out AB - I didn't have that much time to work on Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. 

Hmm, I would like to board out anything with Discord - I've seen what he can do and his acting is so over-the-top, it would be a delight to board out sequences with him! 

Regarding Batman, Superman or Spider-Man...uhh...I like them all! But for different reasons. :)

Well, now that I know you boarded the song I have to say this ... that final shot of the song where Apple Bloom is on the bridge was the perfect punctuation to that scene. Probably my favorite shot in the whole episode as it captured the loneliness, isolation, and uncertainty she was feeling.

Actually, that was a board revision - I didn't create that shot, but man, it was a great one! Since it was revised after my work on the episode, I'm guessing that it was suggested by the director or storyboard supervisor on that shot. Originally, I had AB still in close-up on the bridge and then she looks up when she hears the dance instructor counting off screen. It was a great moment to have the song end on that bridge, wasn't it? I totally understood why they changed it.  

Thanks for replying to my previous question I'm intrigued about your answer for this one (think it hasn't been asked to you here, pardon me if it has!):   

Who's the pony you like to draw the most?

Well, I think I enjoy drawing Pinkie Pie because of how crazy you can get with the facial expressions. But I also enjoy drawing Twilight - she's a thinker, so it's alway enjoyable to board out characters who are trying to figure out things. 

Edited by wardomatic
  • Brohoof 3