Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Laurel Crown's Gallery

Laurel Crown

Welcome to my little and humble gallery. The gallery of a brony who dreams to become a true artist.

I always draw in traditional art but I'm considering the idea of using Paint Tool SAI for digital art and, since I claim myself to be an inexperienced artist, I hope to receive some mentoring and good criticism and pray for not destructive ones. ^^'

I don't have a specific specialty: I like to draw ponies, anthro, OCs, Canon... although very rarely. I just draw because I like to. XD

Here's the necessary DeviantArt plug in case you are interested. I won't get offeneded you aren't.

http://laurel-crown.deviantart.com/

And after this introduction, here's a sketch I made today after watching yesterday's episode.

Did my best to make it as faithful as possible and by using only the screenshot without tracing it.

random_sketch___tree_hugger_by_laurel_cr

• Brohoof 5

Good job on the sketch, certainly needs color. But well done, it looks on point from yesterday's episode. Can't wait to see more of your work posted on here. :D oh and welcome to the forums!

• Brohoof 1

Good job on the sketch, certainly needs color. But well done, it looks on point from yesterday's episode. Can't wait to see more of your work posted on here. :D oh and welcome to the forums!

I know it needs coloring but for now I'm working on the pony anatomy as top priority.

Tomorrow I may post some OC. Are they okay?

I know it needs coloring but for now I'm working on the pony anatomy as top priority.

Tomorrow I may post some OC. Are they okay?

I see gotcha, I'm still working on anatomy myself. But so far it looks great.

Your great with eyes. How do you do it? Any tips?

That eye came out meh. The shape doesn't convince me. /).u

I usually do the oval eye shape and then draw a bunch of circles in this order: pupil, light reflections and iris.

It's one of the most difficult details for me because I have to be perfect in order to make a certain expression.

That eye came out meh. The shape doesn't convince me. /).u

I usually do the oval eye shape and then draw a bunch of circles in this order: pupil, light reflections and iris.

It's one of the most difficult details for me because I have to be perfect in order to make a certain expression.

The eyes are the biggest problem for me when I draw, I can usually get the shape right, but everything in between is a problem, especially the reflection and shading. Yours turned out way better than I could do lol :D

The eyes are the biggest problem for me when I draw, I can usually get the shape right, but everything in between is a problem, especially the reflection and shading. Yours turned out way better than I could do lol :D

I usually have problems with the shape and the position. The rest feels easy to do.

Meanwhile... have some OCs

:derp:

Name: Tiarè

Race: Earth Pony

Background: Tiarè is an earth pony born in Parts Unknown. Her parents were part of a group of ponies who have travelled to find a lonely place to live away from the chaos of a "overdeveloped" Equestria. They who found a remote island located far from the West Coast (The Vast Ocean) and decided to establish their new home called "Coral Island".

When a foal or a filly reaches ponyhood at age 16, the tradition says they must live in Equestria for one year to test their maturity and so Tiarè, who will celebrate her 16° birthday, left her island, her family and her people to live in her parents' homeland.

As she stepped deeply in the Everfree Forest, she met Daphne and became a Dryad. A female pony whose duty is to protect the Everfree Forest and keep it under control. As Daphne passes out, Tiarè returns to Coral Island and took the decision to stay in the forest along with her friends to protect it.sketch_tiare_by_laurel_crown-d9wi64k.jpg

I have many OCs I made... but Tiarè is part of a group of OCs that once belonged to an ex-brony friend of mine and didn't wanted to waste her characters so I adopted them.

Here's another OC of her: Midnight Sun.

Name: Midnight Sun

Race: Batpony

Background: As the batpony tribe has been integrated into the pony society thanks to Princess Luna, it was divided into two sub-tribes called Night Batponies and Dawn Batponies. While the Night Batponies are those who continues to live during the night in hidden locations from civilizations, Dawn Batponies are those who began living their life under the sunlight with the other three pony races and taking daily habits.

Midnight Sun is a mixed batpony (born from parents belonging in both tribes) who grew in the Dawn Batponies community and happened to read books about ancient history and philosophy during the night as a filly.
After joining the Dryads of Everfree prior to Daphne's death, she become the self-claimed team leader despite being a hotheaded and stubborn batpony... but despite her personality, she is capable of making plans and strategies and always knows what she has to say, making her a reliable strategist.

sketch_midnight_sun_by_laurel_crown-d9xx

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I haven't seen anypony draw a bat pony yet. I've seen some on deviantart, but not yet here on the forums. I like it, you draw very well.

That's weird. I thought batponies are all the rage in the fandom... or that's what Equestria Daily taught me.

Yeah, I consider her artwork one of my best drawings, althought for the bat wings I used a reference.

Does it bother to you if I'm on a hiatus? I did many drawing in these months and I left some stuff unfinished. At least I can pull the plug for a while. All these sketches were made weeks ago.

Here's another one... it is not bad but I could have done better.

Name: Titania (real name is Ophelia)

race: Earth pony

Background: Awaken with traces of her memory lost, she grew up under Daphne's wing and became the first Dryad, claiming herself to be a true dryad before realizing who really is she. Her real name is Ophelia and she's the daughter of mother and father who works in a travelling troupe called "Miranda".

Her Cutie Mark represents her talent in plays such as writing poems and love stories and an ability to hide her true emotions and expressions, making her unpredictable for non-friends.

Despite discoreving her true origins, she remains with her friends claiming that the Dryads of Everfree are her real family.

Yes. My friend based this OC on Shakespear's plays. She was originally called just Ophelia. I changed her name into Titania because it feels less human and more fantasy... if you know what I mean.

sketch_titania_by_laurel_crown-d9yev1a.j

Edited by Laurel Crown

That's weird. I thought batponies are all the rage in the fandom... or that's what Equestria Daily taught me.

Yeah, I consider her artwork one of my best drawings, althought for the bat wings I used a reference.

Does it bother to you if I'm on a hiatus? I did many drawing in these months and I left some stuff unfinished. At least I can pull the plug for a while. All these sketches were made weeks ago.

Here's another one... it is not bad but I could have done better.

I don't mind that your on a hiatus lol everypony has a busy schedule every now and then. I'm digging the OCs you have. It's taking me for ever to work on my own cause I can only find time to draw at work, and even then I can't do enough.

• Brohoof 1

Oh my... when I said hiatus, I didn't meant it as a farewell XD

I have so much stuff to do so it gonna take a few weeks before returning to draw. Anyway, the last OC I got from my friend: Antares.

Name: Antares

Race: Unicorn

Background: Before joining Daphne and the Dryads of Everfree, Antares was known as the heir of the Scorpion family, one of the twelve royal powerful families in Canterlot.

As a filly, she received special education on all subjects, becoming very intelligent and skilled in magic. Being able to use a wide variety of spells and knows lots of things compared to her friends, she may comes off as a know-it-all but she's helpful and always lend a helping hoof.
Because of her hidden proud personality, as her parents taught her to be the best among the other heirs from the twelve, she joins the Dryads to protect the nature and repel tecnology just to be recognised as a heroine... although her friends will teach the meaning of how good intentions are far better than aiming for success.

sketch__antares_by_laurel_crown-d9yotcc.

Great job on the sketch!

Oh my... when I said hiatus, I didn't meant it as a farewell XD

I have so much stuff to do so it gonna take a few weeks before returning to draw. Anyway, the last OC I got from my friend: Antares.

Name: Antares

Race: Unicorn

Background: Before joining Daphne and the Dryads of Everfree, Antares was known as the heir of the Scorpion family, one of the twelve royal powerful families in Canterlot.

As a filly, she received special education on all subjects, becoming very intelligent and skilled in magic. Being able to use a wide variety of spells and knows lots of things compared to her friends, she may comes off as a know-it-all but she's helpful and always lend a helping hoof.
Because of her hidden proud personality, as her parents taught her to be the best among the other heirs from the twelve, she joins the Dryads to protect the nature and repel tecnology just to be recognised as a heroine... although her friends will teach the meaning of how good intentions are far better than aiming for success.

sketch__antares_by_laurel_crown-d9yotcc.

Sketchy pony is sketch.

• Brohoof 1

I like your sketches! You really have the mlp-styled form down!

Surprisingly I based my style right after the show despite being vector-based... but I got some influence from Centchi as well.

That compliment really mean something to me ^^

Is it okay if I will post non-MLP related works like Steven Universe or I'll stick to ponies?