Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Is modesty just as dead as chivalry?

ManaMinori

Considering that America still has rather puritanical views in regards to sex & women in media, I'm pretty sure the older generations views of modesty are still in esteem. Yes, women dress more loosely and 'scandalously', but consider this. Sex in media is more restricted and frowned upon than graphic violence. Showing what ends life is more okay than showing what starts it. Dead bodies can be shown, but living naked ones cannot.  Dudes can be bare chested but women cant. Women always have to wear more than men.  

What's modest to some is considered prudish to one person, and lewd to another. 

chiv·al·ry
ˈSHivəlrē/
noun

1. the medieval knightly system with its religious, moral, and social code.
    • historical
      knights, noblemen, and horsemen collectively.
      "I fought against the cream of French chivalry"
    • the combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, especially courage, honor, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help the weak.
      synonyms: knight errantry, courtly manners, knightliness, courtliness, nobility;
      braverycourage, boldness, valorheroismdaring, intrepidity; 
      "the values of chivalry"

We don't exactly have knights anymore so technically chivalry is dead. Being a stand up decent human being? Well, pretty sure that's still around, if these forums are of any indication.

hm, which begs the question; are nudists still modest? Is modesty and chivalry actually rated depending on the situation/environment in which they are practised?

The answer to this is yes to both. 

In some countries with Islam as the state or de facto religion, a modest women is one who doesn't reveal her skin at all . There are many reasons for this. Some quite sexist, others just misguided, some indeterminable. 

The question isn't of whether modesty can be treated as a universal concept, but someone growing up in a specific concept of modesty openly defies the cultural norm. That makes it not modest. When it's not the accepted practice and allures attention. 

That's not to say we shouldn't improve, however. Lots can be done in that field. 

What's the point of revealing nekkid bodies if there's no clothes to do the revealing with? <__< >__>

Modesty isn't only about your body. It's also a type of behavior. When someone tries not to take more credit than they are due that in itself is modesty defined. It's a state of mind above all else. How people dress isn't necessarily related to that, though it often is.

• Brohoof 1

idk my boyfriend is always saying he wants to "ruin me" because i grew up in a modest house hold.

i don't usually wear anything too far above the knee, i'm even iffy on shorts being a little too short sometimes. i really wear mostly dresses and skirts. i only just started wearing crop tops last month n i'm a bit iffy still. always hold doors open and respect my elders and all that good stuff.

i mind every manner there is, know how to properly set a table, dinner napkin on the lap, please and thank you's, no elbows on table, NEVER have your phone or toys or anything distracting in front of or around you at the table or around guests, always accept a drink or food when in someones home, and of course you offer. even the apparent weirder ones not as many know about? like no hats no the table.

i do have tattoo's and ears gauged and a septum piercing also, which i don't mind, respecting your body is different for everyone. i don't think thats any problem i still keep myself covered up. it proves a bit difficult a lot being that i'm a bit more.. heavy in the chest area but i'm just more careful with the neckline of dresses and shirts i wear.

EDIT: i almost forgot, the thing my bf hated most and i worry about the most: how clean my room is. if theres one thing on the floor the room is a mess n he doesn't understand. my grandma raised me to never allow anything less than spotless. its disrespectful to your guests to have an unclean house and he doesn't get it it doesn't make sense to him somehow?

he thinks its ok to look "lived in" i think he called it, but you know what makes a house look lived in? being clean. looks like someone lives in it n keeps it clean. i don't get him.

and he says i speak too proper and "clean" sometimes, i don't understand that either. maybe i'm too articulate? idk.

i will say one thing though, i don't mind chivalry dieing. While belittling women is wrong like hell, so is putting them on a pedestal. Equality means EQUAL, if a girl hits you, hit her right back.

once i was holding a door for this guy at the gym and he held the next door for me n i said "go ahead" and he said "i'm not moving" with a smile, and so i let go of my first door and went through with a "thank you" because i was not about to get in a fight about holding doors n he really wasn't going to move. And most if all i know he was just being polite.

i just wish i didn't get such weird looks when i hold doors open for men. They look at me like "why is this 4 foot little girl holding the door for ME????"

Edited by Honeysuckle
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I am personally think that you should wear what YOU want not what you think will cause attraction... To quote a friend of mine "By how much a girl is wearing i can tell how long this relation ship will last" now I'm not that extreme.  

I myself have dressed as revealing as i could when i was a tween i noticed less clothes=more attention in modern media. It look me a wile but eventually i realized i should dress in what makes ME comfortable not what makes boys like me (altho it was affective....)

Ah, I miss the Victorian era, where people were elegant and modestly dressed, and things were left to the imagination.

You miss the Victorian era?  Just how old ARE you?

I get what you're saying, but self-respect and how much skin you're showing aren't necessarily reliant upon one another.  The ponies of MLP:FIM (a show I think you watch) don't typically wear clothes, as pointed out by Applejack in season one.  They don't seem to care, and I think they're comfortable, as a society, rather than purely "immodest."  If anything, you can disrespect your body by hating it and going to great lengths to keep your perceived hideousness covered up.

And have you seen much classical art?  The naked human form was celebrated by highly skilled sculptors and painters.  Is that immodest, too?  Would you have us go back to the days where it was positively scandalous for a lady to reveal so much as her ankle?  How you dress is a personal choice; I try not to go out of my way to judge or vilify people over it.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think modesty as more of a concept is good thing. Sure being over the top and showing off isn't good either, quite unhealthy.

But it's like about hiding yourself and your special talents. You should be able to show who you are not be "modest" which in a way is a form of lying to make people feel better. You don't need to hide yourself so much.

And modesty in terms of clothing like taken far in religions and such means covering up so much. What's really wrong with the human body? Is it something to be ashamed of.

Chivalry is also something that kinda seems a little sexist at least it doesn't really make much sense to me. I think being kind to someone giving gifts and having understanding is good. But just constantly giving stuff to them, trying to win them over isn't. Or treating them like they can't do stuff, ya know it's nice to be polite but depends how you do it and what your motivation is.

Saying that when women or even men dress in certain ways it could be inviting certain unwanted attention. But it is free choice what people want to do.

Victorian clothing included things like corsets which suffocated women and other unhealthy trends. So i wouldnt be so sure it was great.

• Brohoof 1

Hi! First time chivalry user here. I have just discovered the Internet, and I have no idea what modesty means.

So people being modest is still a thing. But I haven't met people that define themselves as being modest, or modesty or whatever.

• Brohoof 2

@Splashee This is a cultural thing, say in Japan they are more modest. I would say same is true for my country, modesty is a virtue. Modesty says a lot about your character, such as your intelligence, wise men acknowledge they do not know everything this is modesty.

So no some culture don't have modesty but there are still cultures that value being respected and to be respectful towards each other and yourself.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Chivalry is dead.

Modesty tho? Modesty is a good thing imo. And I personally prefer modesty.

These days, celebrities go around with a very minimal sense of clothing, which is something that I don't like since it makes young people think that it's the norm. And I don;t know if it might just be me, but whenever I see people not wearing shirts and stuff it just feels weird.

Never mind those people who find that posing in the underwear is something they should be proud of. Like yo just go and put some more clothes on. 

Edited by Princess of Luck 🍀⚡🔥
  • Brohoof 1

I know I def. would not want to live in England as a brown person during the Victorian era or any time before the 1970’s and probably even the 1980’s

Anyway, modesty and chivalry are alive as much as people want it to be. 

Fuckyour imagination. Not you specifically just anyway who has that idea. Like it’s stupid when you think of it. “I wish this person would wear more clothes so I could imagine them without clothes” like what? 

Many people care about modesty and chivalry. Others do not and it doesn’t really matter. First of all twerking is awesome XD I enjoy doing it and watching it. Regardless of what it looks like to you or other people, no one is asking for sex (sounds a lil like rape culture if you ask me). Moving the booty is groovy

Let people dress how they want I say. Minus having gentlitals showing but even then this is not a new thing. Celebrities, particularly music artists having been dressing scantily since like the 70’s, especially the 80’s and especially men with the cups and tight pants showing off their bulge. 

If modesty and chilvary is something one cares about then that’s fine. But you know many people don’t hold those things to too high esteem. Holding open the door for someone isn’t some grand noble deed or even shows any true character of a person. Of course, that’s not all chivalry is but just an example. Same goes for modesty like “whoa this person is showing some skin so horrible” (next day goes to beach). 

Most people (celebs etc.) are proud of their bodies and the way they look and want to show it off. Personally I don’t see what’s wrong with that. I love my legs and always want to show them off (wears short shorts etc.) That’s the modesty I’m assuming you’re speaking off and not the modesty in terms of being arrogant, etc.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Chivalry, if I'm being honest, is something I wouldn't want to be alive because it's blatantly sexist and I can't believe that it's still regarded in a remotely positive light.

As for modesty? I don't think it's dead and I hope it never does die because it's really important to have exist. Though I will say it is unfortunately hurting thanks to people who arrogantly believe falsehoods and have egos so big they barely fit at all.

Edited by Dustlicious ( > ω < )

... I think people have the wrong idea of chivalry......helping an old woman/man is chivalry.

the combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, especially courage, honor, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help the weak. 

So whats sexist about chivalry? Its actually better to have than to have none....the reason the world is crappy is because less people have it to begin with....chivalry cannot be grey it is depicted as a white... ( No racial puns here)