Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation What are your thoughts on The Powerpuff Girls reboot?

TheMisterManGuy

So the new Powerpuff Girls incarnation has just premiered. So far, people are mixed on it. Some loving it, some despising it, and some in the middle. As for where I stand, it's fine so far, but it does have some flaws, hopefully these will be ironed out in the future. We're only 6 episodes in, so things can always improve. I can say one thing, whether you love the new series or hate it, it's at least much better than Teen Titans Go! Though rough around the edges so far, there is a sincere attempt at quality here, unlike Teen Titans Go! where the crew just gave up halfway through season 1. It also helps that the show-runners, Nick Jennings and Bob Boyle have seen and are trying to honor the original series, again unlike Go!, where the creators never even seen a single episode of the original Teen Titans before working on it. So what do you think?

It's miles better than TTG, that's for sure. I'm liking it so far, but sometimes the jokes can be cringey and it tries way too hard to add in internet stuff (like when Bubbles says "I can't even", ugh). Buttercup has been getting some good character development though, so that's great. Although I'm getting a bit tired of most of the episodes being focused around her. This show makes it seem like Blossom and Bubbles are useless without Buttercup which annoys me. Art style and voice acting is fine to me (even though I prefer the original voices/art style).

It's an alright show so far and I feel like it'll improve at some point. A lot of wonderful shows started off as mediocre, this could be one of them.

• Brohoof 1

@@TheMisterManGuy

Nothing big; just letting you know I edited the title of the topic so it doesn't mess with the search system.

Thanks. :)

Sadly, I never got to see any of the original series, though I hear 'twas quite good. I had not seen or heard anything about the reboot apart from that drama over the VAs, which was odd, but I don't particularly care anyway.

Then I heard about this new episode about "trans issues". Merciful goddess! That was the single most disgusting, hateful, transphobic garbage I've ever seen on TV. And in a children's show, of all things.

Well, I now have an opinion on the PPG reboot: it can get in the bin. Wow.

• Brohoof 3

Sadly, I never got to see any of the original series, though I hear 'twas quite good. I had not seen or heard anything about the reboot apart from that drama over the VAs, which was odd, but I don't particularly care anyway.

Then I heard about this new episode about "trans issues". Merciful goddess! That was the single most disgusting, hateful, transphobic garbage I've ever seen on TV. And in a children's show, of all things.

Well, I now have an opinion on the PPG reboot: it can get in the bin. Wow.

I think people are overreacting. While I have yet to see the episode myself, one bad episode, does not a bad show make. Then again, that's the internet for ya. If it gives people the opportunity to complain about anything for any petty reason they want, they'll take advantage of it.

I feel like this show is going to suffer from that nostalgic hate mentality: "it's not like the original therefore it is bad." As much as you may hate it because it's not like the original series, the younger audience - the audience it's aimed at, is going to like it because it fits into what kids currently enjoy. That is, less seriousness and more zany, fun nonsense.

I've only seen the first and second episode so I can't say it's going to be good or bad, it could be horrible as a lot of critics are saying, but if it is successful, don't be surprised, it's what kids like nowadays.

• Brohoof 2

I think people are overreacting. While I have yet to see the episode myself, one bad episode, does not a bad show make. Then again, that's the internet for ya. If it gives people the opportunity to complain about anything for any petty reason they want, they'll take advantage of it.

I think they are NOT over reacting. It was disgusting. To the point where I'd rank it below Teen Titans Go just for that episode; and I HATE TTG.

@@Buck Testa

Why is the show ''disgusting''? 

I feel like this show is going to suffer from that nostalgic hate mentality: "it's not like the original therefore it is bad." As much as you may hate it because it's not like the original series, the younger audience - the audience it's aimed at, is going to like it because it fits into what kids currently enjoy. That is, less seriousness and more zany, fun nonsense.   I've only seen the first and second episode so I can't say it's going to be good or bad, it could be horrible as a lot of critics are saying, but if it is successful, don't be surprised, it's what kids like nowadays.

Totally agree with this. 

From a personal point of view I really liked it, being a fan of the old PPG when I was younger as well. Animation seemed decent, well voice acted and quite a fun story 

Edited by Jestwinged

I think the new power puff girls is pretty good, I do take an issue with making buttercup seem like the only competent member of the power puff girls. That rant about the whole transgander thing, I watched that episode and really its people overacting again just like brotherhooves social

I saw the introduction or one of the shorts they release before it.

It looks awesome

The complaints I've heard against it are "But they don't have their original voices" and "Clearly its dominated by feminism" (because of that one episode with the really manly guy making fun of girl super heros) and "It looks too much like other cartoons" 

The fact that they don't have their original voices makes sense because the little girls who voiced their characters originally grew up, and they probably can't make those same voices anymore. 

I wouldn't say that its dominated by feminism or whatever, because its entirely possible for that type of person to exist, the one who thinks that girls can't be superheros. I mean, more than 75% of all superheros from Marvel and DC or whatever are male, so its a logical thought in my mind that the villian had.

As for the fact that it looks too much like other cartoons, isn't that a good thing? If you're going to make something that looks good, don't you want to try to make it look like things that people already associate with good? If you're trying to make a luxury car and you're an up and coming luxury car company, you would want your car to look like Bentley's. The same idea applies here

All in all, I think the issues that people have with this show are just over-analyzation of a childrens cartoon that a lot of us loved when we were children and since its not the exact same thing, I guess we all won't be happy.

I think the new power puff girls is pretty good, I do take an issue with making buttercup seem like the only competent member of the power puff girls. That rant about the whole transgander thing, I watched that episode and really its people overacting again just like brotherhooves social

I must not have seen this episode but I could understand that causing issues I guess, just as you said, like the brotherhooves social episode

Why is the show ''disgusting''? Just because you don't like it?

Wrong. Read the comment by @@Jinxie Umbra above. An episode called Horn, Sweet Horn recently aired, and it's been panned for the melodramatic, stereotypical portrayal of both transgender individuals and the concept of gender identity. The "It" by Buck is directed to that episode.

And Buck's absolutely right. It IS disgusting. There are so many better ways to approach the trans allegory; these writers did it the worst possible way. It's so offensive that I don't blame any longtime fan, gender-nonconforming, trans*, or nonbinary person for skipping this show. HSH is factually terrible and, quite possibly, the worst PPG episode, ever.

Longtime fans of PPG detracted this reboot for many reasons, two of which are CN's treatment of TTG and the quality of seasons five and six after McCracken left. They now have one more reason to hate it.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

I mentioned it earlier but it must not have posted, this is extreme over analysis into a kids show.

How can be "extreme analysis" when someone behind the reboot directly stated it was a trans allegory?

Edited by Dark Qiviut

@@Dark Qiviut,

I think we are veering of topic now, this isn't a debate about whether this episode is hateful or not, it's an opinion thread about what do you think of the show, I would like to have an opinion without it being questioned twenty times. 

Edited by Jestwinged

Wrong. Read the comment by @@Jinxie Umbra above. An episode called Horn, Sweet Horn recently aired, and it's been panned for the melodramatic, stereotypical portrayal of both transgender individuals and the concept of gender identity. The "It" by Buck is directed to that episode.

And Buck's absolutely right. It IS disgusting. There are so many better ways to approach the trans allegory; these writers did it the worst possible way. It's so offensive that I don't blame any longtime fan, gender-nonconforming, trans*, or nonbinary person for skipping this show. HSH is factually terrible and, quite possibly, the worst PPG episode, ever.

Longtime fans of PPG detracted this reboot for many reasons, two of which are CN's treatment of TTG and the quality of seasons five and six after McCracken left. They now have one more reason to hate it.

While I'm not going to argue the quality of that particular episode. I will say that you cannot judge a whole show based off one episode. That may have been a bad episode, but the other episodes so far have ranged from Average to good. So all in all, the new show isn't bad so far, it just had a really bad episode. Good shows can have bad episodes. Even Pre-season 5 PPG had bad episodes.

I think it's pretty good! Actually, I don't find the main characters (the girls, the mayor...) have changed a lot. I'm not bothered by the new voice actors, and the behavior of the girls globally remained the same, maybe they're just a bit more..."modern"?

However, the storytelling, the animation, the gags, the secondary characters etc. are different, but not really in a bad way.

Edited by Blobulle

The fact that they don't have their original voices makes sense because the little girls who voiced their characters originally grew up, and they probably can't make those same voices anymore. 

The original voice actors were grown women.

Edited by Solar Cloud

I watched "Horn Sweet Horn."  I honestly wouldn't have known that I was supposed to be offended had I not read the posts in this topic beforehand.  If anything, it felt more like an unsubtle shot at Bronies, which I'm fine with.  I empathize with the transgender community, but, minus the power of suggestion, I probably would have regarded this simply as an episode of a cartoon about tiny, super-powered girls that fly and generally fight evil.  I mean, she had a unicorn-summoning kazoo, for crap's sake; nothing about the show is intended to be taken the slightest bit seriously.

Did no one notice the questionable nod to "the crocodile hunter" Steve Irwin?  Guy died; he was killed by a stingray.  Character seemingly based on Irwin gets eaten by a snake (and presumably dies) early on in the episode.  I'm sure his widow and child would've enjoyed that moment.  Now go watch that part of the episode again.

• Brohoof 2

That rant about the whole transgander thing, I watched that episode and really its people overacting again just like brotherhooves social

Actually, I had no issues with Brotherhooves Social. Neither did most of the other trans* folks I know in the fandom.

"Horn, Sweet Horn" was entirely different. The show staff specifically said it was about gender identity, and they managed to deliver pretty much every negative point used by transphobes. Hell, the "trans" character is the villain of the episode; he literally turns into a monster because he wanted to change his body. And Buttercup repeatedly makes transphobic comments throughout the episode without ever learning a lesson. It was one huge mockery of the trans* community.

Actually, I had no issues with Brotherhooves Social. Neither did most of the other trans* folks I know in the fandom.

"Horn, Sweet Horn" was entirely different. The show staff specifically said it was about gender identity, and they managed to deliver pretty much every negative point used by transphobes. Hell, the "trans" character is the villain of the episode; he literally turns into a monster because he wanted to change his body. And Buttercup repeatedly makes transphobic comments throughout the episode without ever learning a lesson. It was one huge mockery of the trans* community.

Even if it was a bad episode, one bad episode doesn't make the whole show bad. Every show is going to have an infamously bad at least once. If you ignore Horn Sweet Horn, every episode released so far has been meh, decent, or good. So the show is not off to a bad start despite that infamous episode. The show still has 33 episodes left in it's first season, there's still plenty of time for it to get better.

• Brohoof 2

Even if it was a bad episode, one bad episode doesn't make the whole show bad. Every show is going to have an infamously bad at least once. If you ignore Horn Sweet Horn, every episode released so far has been meh, decent, or good. So the show is not off to a bad start despite that infamous episode. The show still has 33 episodes left in it's first season, there's still plenty of time for it to get better.

Pretty much have to agree with ManGuy here. I pretty much like the show myself. Yeah it had a bad episode, but to be fair MLP had quite a few bad episodes in Season 1 (Boast Busters, Bridle Gossip, Feeling Pinkie Keen and Over A Barrel, anyone?) and it's had episodes throughout it's entire run that are probably just as, if not more offensive than Horn, Sweet Horn. So, yeah, I find it pretty unfair to write the entire show off as bad for that one episode alone considering some of the bad episodes we've seen from MLP.

• Brohoof 1