Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation What are your thoughts on The Powerpuff Girls reboot?

TheMisterManGuy

I've only seen one episode thus far (The Sleepover) which was a take on The Hangover but replace a hard night partying and drinking with a sugar crash at a sleepover. I thought it was good enough. 

The character voices are serviceable, Blossom and Buttercup sound spot on but Bubbles is questionable. That's not to say only Tara can voice her, since I've heard other VAs try for a similar voice and nail it. I like how they got Mojo and The Professor's voice actors back, but I think that was a necessity since their voices are unique. 

The gags were funny, a few made me laugh out loud, so no complaints here.

Now I hear a lot of people talking about one episode that has questionable morals and have turned people off the show for good, but I have yet to see it myself. I mention it because the original show has a few episodes which struck the nerve like Town and Out which had the Zack Snyder defense of "How would superheroes be received in the real world." 

Overall, I know I can't really judge a series on one episode, but I liked what I saw so far and I'll check out the aforementioned questionable episode and come back with my reactions. 

The show has both good points and bad. Horn, Sweet Horn is pretty bad, though...

I'm certainly not a fan of what they've done to Bubbles. Why is she so hostile now?  :okiedokieloki: Hell, even Buttercup seems like a bigger jerk than she used to be, and only once had an episode where she was called out for it. 

Beyond that, I'm still waiting on some good action, honestly. I don't mind the slice-of-life approach, but it seems to dominate things so far. You probably wouldn't guess right away that the girls are supposed to be superheroines. 

I'm starting to think the only reason a lot of diehard fans of the OG Powerpuff are only hating the new show is out of spite because of Teen TItans Go! While the reboot does have some glaring flaws, the new PPG is nowhere near as bad as what Teen Titans Go! is now. As I said before, the producers of the new PPG do feel like they're trying to put a genuine attempt at effort in here, even if it's a bit unpolished at the moment. Whereas with Go!, not even the showrunners like it, and nor do they care about putting any effort into it. The only reason they're still working on it is because it's cheap to make and helps them get their paycheck faster.

As a fan of the original show, I'd say it's a mixed bag. The new VA's are serviceable in their roles and Tom Kenny is hilarious as the Narrator.

However, the animation looks a bit odd in motion, the slang is going to date the show in a few years, and the jokes are hit and miss. When the jokes hit, they're actually pretty funny, but when they miss, they really miss.

Overall, there's room for improvement, but I'm not going to give up on the show altogether, and I would hope that the creators don't have contempt for the fans like the people behind Teen Titans Go do.

• Brohoof 1

I'm super uncomfortable with this in truth XD like why aren't they mentioning that it already existed and let's be honest....HOW DARE THEY REVAMP POWERPUFF GIRLS AND NOT INCLUDE TARA STRONG!?!? And in that note I am calm again

I think it's pretty decent so far, actually. Nostalgia will make sure I like the older ones better, of course, but there's nothing wrong with the reboot IMO. Then again, I actually also like Teen Titans Go a lot because of its utter insanity, so yeah.

I don't know a lot about PPG because I've only seen a handful of episodes and clips of both versions, but in this version the girls come off to me as more aggressive and less socially aware than the originals. I saw "Horn Sweet Horn", and if there's one thing that will definitely do this show in, it will definitely be the way in which it navigates social issues. "Equal Fights" was a controversial episode in the original series, but PPG was allowed to get away with it more for myriad reasons owing to the different social climate of the early 2000s. "Horn Sweet Horn" seemed to be handled with the clumsiest and most narrow understanding of potential implications, magnified by the notoriously hard-to-please mainstream SJW culture picking it apart like fresh carrion. If this is any indication of how future episodes will handle social issues, then PPG's days will be numbered.

On the technical side, the new VAs are a step below the originals. Bubbles' pitch is notoriously lower than Tara Strong's voice performance. For the art style, I at least like the new character designs for the girls, and the new intro is amazing. However, in practice, the classic characters seem to be forced to integrate with a "generic 2010s CalArts locale and populace" as described by Tommy Oliver, a stylistic disconnect serving as an anchor that drags down the potential benefits of a polished, modern digital animation style.

At best, it's a show that exists that I'm aware of. At worst, it's a potential Cartoon Network PR disaster of epic proportions. My enthusiasm for it is highly tempered.

Edited by Wind Chaser

I've watched every episode up to the current one, and, other than Horn Sweet Horn, they've been passable to me. While i'm not happy about them not getting the girls' original voice actresses back, they've managed to get most of the original VAs back. (except Jennifer Hale not voicing Princess Morbucks anymore, despite Jennifer still being on the show and returning as Miss Keane, as well as being the new voice of Miss Bellum.)

Does anyone think he show is starting to pick up in quality? I mean, all the episodes we've had this week have been very good, with Power Up Puff being there best one. A lot of shows start off mediocre and unpolished before they become much better shows, and this looks to be one of them. So what do you think?

• Brohoof 1

Does anyone think he show is starting to pick up in quality? I mean, all the episodes we've had this week have been very good, with Power Up Puff being there best one. A lot of shows start off mediocre and unpolished before they become much better shows, and this looks to be one of them. So what do you think?

Yeah. The episodes are starting to really starting to flow better. I do have to ask the though, why are the writers hellbent on making Bubbles scary?! It's like the MLP fandom's fanon characterization of Pinkie Pie on crack!