Did you like it?  

232 users have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the episode?

• I hated it! Burn it with dragon fire! >: (
    • I didn't care for it. Le sigh...
    • It was mediocre...
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT!!!!! <3

It seems like it did, which I guess was one of the themes of the episode. None of the other dragons worked together, so they all failed miserably. Garble seemed to be following Spike and Ember, which is why he's the only one that got close.

Yeah, I can see how the episode might want us to believe that Spike's and Ember's working together (and being small) gave them an advantage over the other competitors, but I'm not sure that I really believe it.

First, about being small, Garble really isn't too much bigger than Ember herself (which is why they could go toe-to-toe wrestling each other), and we see other dragons competing of a comparable size to those two, so Ember's and Spike's size in itself wouldn't seem to be a huge advantage over at least several of the other competitors of a similar size.

But also, while watching the episode, I didn't really see Spike's and Ember's working together creating a huge advantage over everyone else. The two of them ended up swimming to the island rather than flying, although I'm not sure that that was an advantage. Spike spotted flying boulders for Ember as they flew up the mountain, which might be a slight advantage in that Ember maybe could focus on flying quickly rather than having to watch for boulders herself. However, we saw at least several other dragons ahead of Spike and Ember flying into or already in the tunnel, so other dragons were capable of flying up the mountain themselves. After that, I don't see Spike providing any obvious advantage while riding on Ember's back as they dodge the moving vertical spikes. And again, it doesn't seem like Spike and Ember give other much of an obvious advantage dodging the crystal spikes. Spike pushes Ember out of the way of a crystal spike one time, but then, we see Garble get hit directly by a crystal spike, and he managed to catch up by the final room without any serious issue.

And that's basically all the assistance they provided for each other, unless there were more obstacles they helped each other through off-screen. To me, all of the above doesn't really add up to much, or seem to account for the large lead that Spike, Ember, and Garble ended up having by the final room.

It's funny and ironic, though, that the Gauntlet was supposedly designed for a big, strong dragon to win, and yet, it seemed to advantage dragons who are essentially the opposite of that - a bit of a flaw in the design, there.

• Brohoof 1

Wait red dragon has a name now? Garble?

Okay well it was pretty predictable how it was going to go by, Spike wins the staff then gives it to Ember. Ember learns about friendship blah blah blah. Dragon Quest is still better but this is definitely one of Spike's better episodes now.

Maybe Spike should have been completely hesitant about the whole competition until the end where he mans up and wins when his pony friends were in danger. Also I find it way too quick for Torch to have accepted the bequeathing of his title to Ember when he was so unthrilled about the idea of her participating that was a tad bit too quick.

Edited by cider float

- Rarity is always fabulous

I find it interesting that Rarity got wet, muddy, dirty, covered in seaweed, etc, but still mostly was most just concerned about spike.  

She never really looked good, but it wasn't much of a distraction for her.  

Good on 'er

• Brohoof 2

I was so glad that this episode actually focused on spikes positive and helpful qualities. I like spike and I'm glad his episode was really good and not like the last one which is him just messing up and everyone getting mad at him. I'm so glad with this episode he was able to be not only helpful in creating a powerful ally but also showing different forms of strength. I'd say one of the better episodes of this season tbh

I wanted to like it, and for what it was, I suppose it was well done. I'm just not that interested in Spike as a lead character. I don't like to see him kicked around but I like him as a sidekick making smart-alecky (sp??) comments more than whole episodes devoted to him.

Edited by Aurora Storm

To me, all of the above doesn't really add up to much, or seem to account for the large lead that Spike, Ember, and Garble ended up having by the final room.

It's funny and ironic, though, that the Gauntlet was supposedly designed for a big, strong dragon to win, and yet, it seemed to advantage dragons who are essentially the opposite of that - a bit of a flaw in the design, there.

I can't argue with any of the points you make. I think you may have hit on why I initially felt the episode seemed "fluffy" and that there was no real sense of danger or concern. Basically Spike and Ember got to the end because they got lucky when Spike found the one opening that led to the scepter cavern. It was kind of an arbitrary way to resolve it.

I guess living in a maze-like castle is why he was able to spot it when none of the other dragons could?  :lol:

I noticed that too about the gauntlet design. It seemed better suited to small, dexterous dragons than big, lumbering behemoths. Even if Ember had never existed and Garble wasn't out for revenge, Spike probably could have completed the challenge on his own anyway.

In fact when the episode title was first revealed I thought it might be likely Spike wins by simply getting around all of the obstacles because of his size since the challenge would be designed to stop large adult dragons (which there really were none of in the episode, so I was wrong about that part) and Spike is the opposite of what is considered normal in dragon society.

• Brohoof 1

Gauntlet of Fire is an improvement for Spike's character, it shows he's capable of being a hero and loyal to the ponies of Equestria. And it showed there are more Dragons that live in Equestria. Maybe we'll see Dragons that are like Spike, because maybe Spike is an Earth Type Dragon and the Dragons in the Gauntlet are Flying Dragons.

Edited by Brainstorm

Gauntlet of Fire is an improvement for Spike's character, it shows he's capable of being a hero and loyal to the ponies of Equestria.

He was kinda already a hero to the crystal empire.  

And he already showed he was loyal to ponies the first time he met garble and co.

I'm actually more impressed at the degree of HUMILITY he's showed recently when he got accolades for his heroics.

In this season's premier, he RELENTED to tell the story under pressure from others, rather than volunteering it, he downplayed his role, and when asked to tell a second story he firmly rebuffed starlight so that they could get on with the far more important issue at hand.  

That said, there's nothing wrong with a little reinforcement.  And in the crystal empire situation, he was less confident, and only needed brief bouts of bravery.  Gauntlet required a continuous series of brave actions to complete his goal.  The Crystal heroics were also more of a physical challenge...a mighty leap to victory from a tall tower.  Spikes physical heroics here were auxiliary to his mental heroics.  He had to deal with challenges that he wasn't strong enough to handle alone, and launched into it without an understanding of how he could succeed.  At least when he jumped from the tower, he had a clear goal as to what he could do with the heart.  Here?  it was more of a "gotta try something until it works" and "I'll figure it out somehow", which is a much tougher problem.  

This episode had a lot going for it.

He was kinda already a hero to the crystal empire.  

And he already showed he was loyal to ponies the first time he met garble and co.

I'm actually more impressed at the degree of HUMILITY he's showed recently when he got accolades for his heroics.

In this season's premier, he RELENTED to tell the story under pressure from others, rather than volunteering it, he downplayed his role, and when asked to tell a second story he firmly rebuffed starlight so that they could get on with the far more important issue at hand.  

That said, there's nothing wrong with a little reinforcement.  And in the crystal empire situation, he was less confident, and only needed brief bouts of bravery.  Gauntlet required a continuous series of brave actions to complete his goal.  The Crystal heroics were also more of a physical challenge...a mighty leap to victory from a tall tower.  Spikes physical heroics here were auxiliary to his mental heroics.  He had to deal with challenges that he wasn't strong enough to handle alone, and launched into it without an understanding of how he could succeed.  At least when he jumped from the tower, he had a clear goal as to what he could do with the heart.  Here?  it was more of a "gotta try something until it works" and "I'll figure it out somehow", which is a much tougher problem.  

This episode had a lot going for it.

Oh right, I forgot to add that, Spike is not only the savor of the crystal empire, twice, but this episode shows he's really improved his heroic skills, that what I meant to say.

Oh right, I forgot to add that, Spike is not only the savor of the crystal empire, twice, but this episode shows he's really improved his heroic skills, that what I meant to say.

He just needs to get buff and he'll be the complete package.

Although admittedly, that might make him less interesting.

they need to show that spike aged a bit cause he looks the same as he did back in season 1, at least give him some tiny wings or something 

Edited by Moonlight Shield
  • Brohoof 3

they need to show that spike aged a bit cause he looks the same as he did back in season 1, at least give him some tiny wings or something 

Yeah that would be ideal.

I'm not sure how many years have actually passed, but we've seen two gala events, so it's gotta be well over a year, and even a year should be enough for beings of spikes and the CMC's age to have noticeable growth.  

It doesn't seem that hard to do...

So I suspect it is intensional.  They maybe want them at very specific ages for the stories they want to tell.  Or they don't want them to lose their cuteness.  

Far and away my favorite manga is Hikaru no Go, and in it, Hikaru ages from like 8 to 16.  I got 90% of the way through before discovering that he looked different from the beginning of the series...so I went back and it was AMAZINGLY obvious.  The artist had plotted his physical growth so slowly and deliberately that I didn't notice while reading.  

It would be nice if physical growth accompanied their mental growth, because the wisdom and experience we want to develop in these characters feels weird if they stay small.  

Also, giving spike tiny wings would give birth to a whole slew of princess spike jokes ^_^

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not sure how many years have actually passed, but we've seen two gala events, so it's gotta be well over a year, and even a year should be enough for beings of spikes and the CMC's age to have noticeable growth.  

So I suspect it is intensional.  They maybe want them at very specific ages for the stories they want to tell.  Or they don't want them to lose their cuteness.  

Far and away my favorite manga is Hikaru no Go, and in it, Hikaru ages from like 8 to 16.  I got 90% of the way through before discovering that he looked different from the beginning of the series...so I went back and it was AMAZINGLY obvious.  The artist had plotted his physical growth so slowly and deliberately that I didn't notice while reading.  

It would be nice if physical growth accompanied their mental growth, because the wisdom and experience we want to develop in these characters feels weird if they stay small.  

Also, giving spike tiny wings would give birth to a whole slew of princess spike jokes  ^_^

(excluding flashback comparisons to the present) the last time we actually saw physical growth was back in season 2 in "secret of my excess" and even then it was only temporary. 

Edited by Moonlight Shield

I didn't think they could do it, but they did. They finally managed to make an episode that I HATE!

Spike episodes are already at the bottom of my likability scale, but this...THIS steaming pile of dragon excrement marks an all new low for the series.

I mean what even was that? Because it sure wasn't the same MLP that I've come to know and love. :(

Also, giving spike tiny wings would give birth to a whole slew of princess spike jokes ^_^

Well, it's been awhile since the great dragon migration that Spike followed, but Garble doesn't look much different.  Dragons live for a very long time.  I would assume that means that dragons age verrrry slowly.  Spike may still be quite small when Twilight is old and gray.

I didn't think they could do it, but they did. They finally managed to make an episode that I HATE!

Spike episodes are already at the bottom of my likability scale, but this...THIS steaming pile of dragon excrement marks an all new low for the series.

I mean what even was that? Because it sure wasn't the same MLP that I've come to know and love. :(

wha--whuza----why? Why don't you like it. I myself loved it and am curious why you don't like it.

wha--whuza----why? Why don't you like it. I myself loved it and am curious why you don't like it.

The writing was so ham-fisted it hurt and most of the jokes were cringe worthy. For once It actually felt like I was watching a dumbed down cartoon made for little kids.

I'd have to write out an entire review in order to list everything bad about this episode.

Well, it's been awhile since the great dragon migration that Spike followed, but Garble doesn't look much different.  Dragons live for a very long time.  I would assume that means that dragons age verrrry slowly.  Spike may still be quite small when Twilight is old and gray.

ah, well said and quite possible.  but that doesn't explain the lack of growth in the CMC and Cakes

• Brohoof 1

If I was making this episode, Spike should had remained the dragon king and the scepter should had given him puberty! You know, transform into a adolescent dragon and become bigger, then he could had stayed away from the dragon lands as an ambassador to bridge ponies and dragons together as future friends or at least make them peaceful towards each other. 

Then we get bigger, badder, stronger, faster and capable of flight spike!  But no, opportunity ruined!

If I was making this episode, Spike should had remained the dragon king and the scepter should had given him puberty! You know, transform into a adolescent dragon and become bigger, then he could had stayed away from the dragon lands as an ambassador to bridge ponies and dragons together as future friends or at least make them peaceful towards each other. 

Then we get bigger, badder, stronger, faster and capable of flight spike!  But no, opportunity ruined!

i think they made this episode quite alright, having spike as dragon lord would have actually prevented him from returning to equestria and so he gave the scepter to Ember which actually opens greater possibilities. 

• Brohoof 2