Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Let's Be HONEST About PC Gaming

@@Envy,

Being whatever elitist is not exactly a good thing to begin with. LoL elitists vs DotA elitists, Windows vs Linux, Star Trek vs Star Wars, PC vs consoles, and so on... It's just dumb. Why try to establish that there can only be one? Can't they accept different people have different tastes?

Super Smash Bros?

Fire Emblem?

Monster Hunter?

K, time for thanksgiving, brb guis.

"Highly experimental software to emulate Wii U applications on PC"

"Cemu is not intended for general use yet."

"crashes are common."

"Many games, however, will not load at all – only showing a black screen. Many other games will only show the title screen and then freeze or crash."

So basically what you're trying to say is that I can't play 'em on PC for another few years? :awuh:

Owning a Wii U solves that. :bedeyes:

I've always knew that building a gaming PC is cheaper than a console is bullshit. I've only purchased a couple of components to play games many years back, and they cost alot, just imagine now. Plus the updates, how quickly they become obsolete, etc is no brainer 

Coming from a console gamer, I wouldn't call either PC or console, "Master race." It doesn't matter to me at all what I'm playing the game on, as long as it's a game and the game is fun. I do play Minecraft on a normal PC, but rarely. Console gaming is my personal preference, but I wouldn't call either better than the other. I mean, it's just games.

@@Zumbuh

First, Key Sharkz will not responding to your arguments. He has left these forums for his own reasons.

Second of all, as I stated before, pulling out illegal, illegitimate emulating of console games to say that no game will ever remain console exclusive is scummy. Legitimately there are games that will remain console exclusive. If companies were actually releasing all games on PC than you would have an argument, but you do not.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

@@Zumbuh,

Right, because emulators allow you to play games on your PC totally legally. To be clear though, emulating is legal, but there are things to know.

Firstly, some emulators require you to provide them a BIOS. Said BIOS is not provided because it is protected by copyright laws, meaning that the BIOS you provide should be the one from your console. In other words, to emulate the console, you must own said console. I don't think I need to point out the absurdity of that.

Secondly, there are emulators that need no BIOS (or managed to get past the need for a BIOS). However...let me copy pasta this little text here.

You’re buying a licence to play the game code, and that licence lasts for your whole life. You are, therefore, entitled by law to protect that right by ensuring the safety of the code, regardless of whether the publisher can be relied on to help you out or not.

In other words, you must own the game you're emulating for it to be legal.

And lastly, emulators take a lot of time to be developed to a level where they don't crash, manage to actually play the games without bugs and finally come close to the performances of the console they're emulating. Not to mention an emulator will always need more resources than the actual console.

So yes, you can play your games on your PC thanks to emulators but only if you have bought said games and possibly said console. What was the point again, saving money? So much for that. Being able to do what consoles can? You can emulate them yes, after several years. After all, those games haven't been programmed on consoles but on computers. Only makes sense computers can run them...

But let's face it, emulators are almost exclusively used to play pirated games, so you're not making a real point here. Still, let me provide another point your PC won't be able to do - playing during a trip on your handheld console, like in the bus or in your car. Even laptops are too cumbersome to do that.

Edited by Ninjaed
  • Brohoof 1

I prefer wasting spending $3k on my machine and enjoying a higher resolution, over double the framerate of consoles, faster loading times, keyboard + mouse, and better shaders and etc. settings, thanks

I'm pretty much exclusive to PC at the moment. I saw no point in renewing my Xbox Live Gold for an outdated console, since the only multiplayer games I played on my 360 was Destiny and CoD...it was more Destiny though. Since the latest "update" for it was "next gen" exclusive I just didn't bother with it. My 360 has been collecting dust for a few months now. I actually liked CoD so I got BO3 during a Steam Sale for like  $20.....even Gamestop sells used CoD games for more than that. I've also been able to play all the next gen games that are on the Xbone and PS4 on my PC....So, I've not seen a reason to get a new console. Also, Destiny 2 is coming to PC...so I have even less reason to get a new console...

As for Rockstar taking a year plus to release GTA V on PC, I mean, it's a great port...well worth the wait. They basically redesigned the game from the ground up, for next gen and PC with adding in the FIrst Person camera, adding the interior details to every car, more detailed clothing and textures overall. The version on 360 and PS3 were basically a "beta" test of the game.

@@Zumbuh,

If you think spending money to play the games early isn't worth it, it's your opinion, not an argument. It can't be proven wrong nor right. Also, that "handheld PC" is basically just a console. I don't see myself writing documents on that for instance. Or writing on forums like I'm doing now. So it's an additionnal cost to a home PC. Also, what's the upgrade stance for it? Will it allow parts to get changed/upgraded? Speaking of parts, won't it need really specific parts that wouldn't fit on a home computer/laptop?

And you exclude handheld consoles? Fine then. Home consoles allow for several controller ports, making it possible to play together with your friends. Super Smash Bros has already been cited, so I'll cite it again. With PCs, you need every one of them to bring their own computer and set up a LAN. It takes more time and it's definitely not the same as all being on the same couch(es). If you enjoy LANs more than that then good for you, but regardless it's an opinion. Others prefer the simplicity and closeness of playing on a home console.

PS: Err... From that SMACH Z website:

Now that smartphones and tablets are overtaking handhelds we need good games to play, real games for gamers, on a dedicated gaming platform more than ever.

So those games on smartphones and tablets are not "real" games then? Besides, aren't gamers people who play games? Why would the people playing on smartphones/tablets not be gamers? Much elitism...

PPS: Remember this is not a "consoles are better than PCs" thread. It's a "both have their pros and cons" one. Throwing that in, just in case.

PC games can crash, which is extremely annoying, especially when you're about to beat that boss you've been trying to kill off for such a long time. I have to admit, but games don't crash on consoles, unless you eject the disc, which doesn't count as crashing. :P

games don't crash on consoles

I beg to differ.  Games most definitely can crash on consoles, I know this for certain because it's happened to me far more times than I care to remember (although only ever the two Fallout games on my PS3).  But of course, PCs can crash as well, so that flaw is not isolated to any one system.

That being said, on the whole, console gaming suits me, I have so many things I'd rather spend money on than a PC, and it's convenient for me to know that (Fallout notwithstanding) if a game says 'Playstation 3' on the box, then I can buy it, take it home, and it will work in the manner intended without having to check specifications or adjust my settings.  The convenience of having that predictability throughout the lifespan of that console is a useful trait to me.

I also spend a lot of time between two separate places, and my PS3 fits nicely into a little carry case I have, and can be quickly and easily removed from one location and set up in the other.

I also have an unremarkable laptop, on which I have a few games for that don't exist on the PS3.  I mostly use it for my assorted internet activities and photography related stuff.

PCs certainly have their advantages, but then again, so do consoles.  It's not a matter of one being objectively better than the other, it comes down to the individual requirements and preferences of the user.  Anyone that says otherwise is quite simply wrong.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

Any platform can indeed see crashing. It happened to me with Animal Crossing New Leaf a week ago or so. I freaked out because I thought something had gone much more wrong than it had.

With that said, I do think that it is less of an issue with consoles. I can only think of one instance aside from New Leaf where that has ever happened to me on a console. However, with PC and mobile I can think of countless instances. Mobile probably takes the cake for this one... Games, apps, they all just love to crash!

To be honest I find all this consoles vs PC fight utterly pointless. Gaming is an entertainment, it is all about having fun, not about which gaming platform is the best. Some people prefer consoles and we don't really have to dig for technical stuff to see why. And then some people like me prefer PC. And I don't prefer it just because 60 fps or stuff like that. I simply find it far more convinient, because I tend to multitask a lot to the point I sometimes play a game and do other stuff at the same time. Also I just... suck terribly with controller. Even Witcher 3 is played by me with mouse and keyboard despite some people claiming this game is "unplayable" that way. 

Do we really have to fight over it? Can't we just enjoy our games? :P

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, people just need to ignore the whole "PC Master Race" thing, It's just assholes being assholes after all.

As for the actual discussion about PC gaming versus console gaming, there are plenty of arguments to be made for both sides. Firstly people need to realise that a lot of developers fail to deliver decent PC versions of their games which is despicable given how the PC gaming market has increased over the last few years. What this means is that you'll end up dealing with shitty performance issues on some new AAA titles. You'll also need to deal with the whole 'console exclusive' thing which Is also really shitty. I'll explain why I dislike that in the spoiler below this paragraph.

Unless there's a good reason for a game to be exclusive to a platform (such as Star Citizen for PC, that game cant physically run on a console due to the demanding requirements) than developers should be making sure the game is available for everyone. Console exclusives mainly exist to sell a platform in the case of consoles or in the case of PC due to demanding requirement (and less outside control over the developers game). I despise it when Im basically forced to buy a console to play a game Im really looking forward too...*cough* Last of Us *cough*

All in all though, if you like to be able to push games in terms of graphical fidelity and you enjoy playing FPS' on a more competitive level, you'll enjoy PC gaming. You just need to understand what you're getting into. It's more work then a console and you'll encounter more problems, but in return you'll be able to customise your experience a fuck ton, including the ability to mod many games which exponentially increases a games lifespan.

That being said, consoles have the undisputed up side of being ridiculously easy to set up and use. When you buy a game for a console, you can be sure its going to fucking work when you put the disc in the tray (barring some hardware damage or crappy day 1 bugs). You'll also have an equal playing field in multiplayer games. The downside is you get basically no control over anything, including repairs (assuming you enjoy repairing your own stuff).

At the end of the day though, we're all gamers. It really doesn't matter what platform you play on. Enjoy what you enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I'll be pretty blunt regarding PC gaming; while PC gaming is very much appreciated for those who desire better performances, playing any games that's not for PC and emulates instead because they can't afford themselves new gaming console(s) pretty much defeats the purpose of gaming, and it can greatly hurt gaming developers' profits, even cause them to go on the brink of bankruptcy. I myself would rather go for consoles and PC, even buying games legitimately, rather than taking the easy way out by emulating games to PC.

For first person games, I much prefer the precise point-and-click style of PCs to the clunky thumbed guesswork of consoles. Movement is so much less robotic with a keyboard and mouse, and I like that. For racing and sports games, Consoles do have an advantage of controllers, and they're a little better tuned for linear games like the Mario series or what have you. But I frankly hated all first person console games I've played.

Also worth noting: I built my PC in 2011. While it's no longer state of the art, it can still run almost all new games. Can your PS3 do that?

Edited by BlueStreak98

I'll be pretty blunt regarding PC gaming; while PC gaming is very much appreciated for those who desire better performances, playing any games that's not for PC and emulates instead because they can't afford themselves new gaming console(s) pretty much defeats the purpose of gaming, and it can greatly hurt gaming developers' profits, even cause them to go on the brink of bankruptcy. I myself would rather go for consoles and PC, even buying games legitimately, rather than taking the easy way out by emulating games to PC.

It's not that I can't afford a console, I don't want a console. Also, if you wanted to buy original hardware, (which would actually be ideal) it's going to be very expensive.

Also, what developer is going to lose money over a game released, say, 25 years ago if it's emulated?

It's not that I can't afford a console, I don't want a console. Also, if you wanted to buy original hardware, (which would actually be ideal) it's going to be very expensive.

Also, what developer is going to lose money over a game released, say, 25 years ago if it's emulated?

Or y'know, games that were recently released? Yeah, I'm still going for expensive hardware than to take a cheap way out.

Edited by Jon the Bronynerd

Well here is my opinion on why I like it.  First off, keyboard and mouse are invaluable for certain games like FPS and strategy games.  There is no way I could play most of the strategy games I play with a controller just because a mouse is so much easier to be persise with and having a proper keyboard to type with is almost mandatory in my case.  PC's are really expensive but with my laptop I use it for a pile of other things like school.  I would have to spend about $200 on a computer anyways for school so I am really not spending much extra money on a better computer as opposed to a computer and a console.  Mobility is also very helpful since I can play games almost anywhere I want which is very important for me since I travel between my parents every second weekend.  

I used to only use consoles but once I got a proper laptop I basically gave up on consoles altogether for the above reasons I listed.

• Brohoof 1

Going to add a few points to this.
Do note i won't use my current PC as an example, because of how much i've upgraded it the last year.

I think that people are saving money in the long run.
With new generations of consoles, some game devs will turn to only making games for the newest console.
A older PC can run pretty new games too, if you of course use the option to lower the graphics if your rig can't handle it.
You can't run a new PS4 game on a PS3, it simply doesn't have the hardware and software for it.

And let's not forget the pletora of other uses of a PC.

Your argument there makes steam not worse than sales on console games, if i'm not mistaken, they exists too.
Everytime i reload the store page on steam, there are new games shown, different each time, it doesn't matter if they're on sale, i can discover new titles.
Don't know if it's like that on consoles, as i don't own one.
And speaking of AAA games on sale, i once got a pretty big collection of Tomb Raider games for 75% off, 9 games in the TR series.

PC ports...not sure about that, isn't many of those made on PC, then ported to console, and then back again?

Exclusives, well i am interested in a few console exclusives, but since i have quite a selection of games already, i can wait.

And besides, we have oure exclusives too, not all are good of course.

4K is rather new, so that one shouldn't be a point.
I also have HTC Vive, it's also new, few people use it, but it's sooo awesome it shouldn't even be questioned.

Yes, consoles are basically PC's with preinstalled drivers.
You can get PC's now with preinstalled drivers, and there are still games where you just put in a disc, install it (which is super easy), and play.
It's seriously very easy to get a game going on PC's, heck, even connecting game controllers can be a breeze.
I currently got myself a racing wheel and flight stick, plugged 'em in and they worked straight out of the box.

Just my 6 cents.

Well here is my opinion on why I like it.  First off, keyboard and mouse are invaluable for certain games like FPS and strategy games.  There is no way I could play most of the strategy games I play with a controller just because a mouse is so much easier to be persise with and having a proper keyboard to type with is almost mandatory in my case.  PC's are really expensive but with my laptop I use it for a pile of other things like school.  I would have to spend about $200 on a computer anyways for school so I am really not spending much extra money on a better computer as opposed to a computer and a console.  Mobility is also very helpful since I can play games almost anywhere I want which is very important for me since I travel between my parents every second weekend.  

I used to only use consoles but once I got a proper laptop I basically gave up on consoles altogether for the above reasons I listed.

I on the other hand use the controller mainly for racing games, or any other games that isn't FPS or Strategy. Its basically common knowledge that a gaming controller for PC that handles almost everything besides FPS and Strategy games are far more superior than having to struggle with the use of keyboard and mouse.

As someone who does most of my gaming on PC (outside of playing on Wii U and soon the Switch for Nintendo's exclusives), I've never really understood why some people feel the need to come up with a thousand reasons why it's "objectively" better. Most of them are a bunch of s**t, as you point out. For me, the only real reason I play mostly on PC is because I do most of my other stuff on there, so it's just more convenient for my particular situation.

I on the other hand use the controller mainly for racing games, or any other games that isn't FPS or Strategy. Its basically common knowledge that a gaming controller for PC that handles almost everything besides FPS and Strategy games are far more superior than having to struggle with the use of keyboard and mouse.

Well it's really up to what you play.  I don't like racing games much and I only play FPS and strategy games now so having a console does not work for me.  It was just a reason why I personally use a keyboard and mouse over a controller and it depends on a person to person basis.  I agree though, if you are going to play certain games such as sport games or racing games then a keyboard/ mouse is a liability.