Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are people so opposed to the movie experimenting with its age audience?

TheAnimatorOfficial

I am not opposed to kiddie franchises turning "gritty" and "edgy". I don't think most people are. I'm opposed to turning an established franchise into something that it's not.

You don't need to make things darker to appeal to older audiences. How do you think most of us got here?

• Brohoof 15

What's wrong with Hasbro making the film darker to attract a larger audience? It can still be appropriate for prepubescent girls yet be enjoyable for all ages too.

Make the stakes higher if you want. But don't turn the movie into something that it's not, which is an epic action war movie. Keep the messages, keep the things we love about the show and don't be dark just for the sake of being dark.

Besides, the writers where always hit and miss with those kinda things, so it could actually hurt the movie.

• Brohoof 8

I'm not opposed to it: In fact, I'd LOVE It if it was along the lines of the comics darkness (Ponies being killed/eaten and more menacing villains). But I would urge caution: Remember the power puff girls? It failed because it tried to be darker than the show (Craig was trying to get back to the "whupass girls" roots if I'm remembering an interview correctly) and it ended up turning off alot of the families going to see it due to them not thinking it was appropriate for a kids movie.

That being said, we live in a much different age now: Movies like kung fu panda show that people are much more inured to darkness or violence in kids movies. So I'm 100% all for it :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm definitely not opposed to Hasbro trying to appeal to a wider audience.  I'm one of those bronies that's pleased with how we've influenced the show.  But I will echo the consensus here of raising the stakes and being edgy, but with caution.  As much as I love imagining everything in the world redone in pony form, we don't actually want the canon movie to be The Boondock Saints with ponies.  That's what fan made stuff is for.  We want the movie to retain the feel that made us all love the show to begin with.  (Although, now I kinda wanna watch The Boondock Saints with ponies.  :S)

Because what most fans consider dark isn't something that'll work for a Franchise like My Little Pony. It could be a grand adventure with higher stakes, but it doesn't need to be gritty and edgy, that's not what this franchise is for. It doesn't need war, violence, death, etc.

I'm all for experimenting, but that doesn't mean I want My Little Pony to turn into something it isn't 

• Brohoof 5

It'll be like adding salt to your dish

Adding a little change to the film by making it a "tad bit" darker (Like how poe's friends get turned into green-mind controlled freaks) May turn out to be great...

But if they make it too dark and sinister (like rainbow factory, or cupcake level) It'll be something that'll break the franchise.

I'm ok with hasbro making "changes" but I'm just afraid how they might change the feel of MLP altogether. :3

• Brohoof 1

I actually think it could work, as long as they played it as a parody of some sort.... Going straight into dark and gritty would not be too apealig for a show like MLP FIM, but i can see a couple of episodes parodying darker show and movies, and it going over very well.

• Brohoof 2

Because people enjoy the show for what it originally is, Light hearted, fun, cheerful. We don't the minority of the fandom's creepy, dark fanfictions working their way into the show. I mean it just sounds absurd when you say it in a sentence. I watch My little pony, but I want it to be darker. What?  :lie:

• Brohoof 2

Too much dark doesn't seem like the kind of direction the movie should be taking. Maybe turn up the stakes and get the viewers hooked but grim and dark aren't the first words that come to mind when people think of "My Little Pony"

The cartoon attracted fans from outside of the target demographic by being what it is, fun, light-hearted entertainment with good characters and a positive message.  If they go too far with trying to pander to a few fans that want something other than what the cartoon is, they risk not only betraying the original target audience but also ruining the formula that has made the franchise so successful this time round.

• Brohoof 8

I think they should learn from many Disney movies. I think is ok for it to have higher stakes, some violence, hopelessness, threat of death, and that's pretty much as far as it should go. Of course, the most serious parts of the movie, not the WHOLE movie  

Because what most fans consider dark isn't something that'll work for a Franchise like My Little Pony. It could be a grand adventure with higher stakes, but it doesn't need to be gritty and edgy, that's not what this franchise is for. It doesn't need war, violence, death, etc.

I'm all for experimenting, but that doesn't mean I want My Little Pony to turn into something it isn't

it already has war and violence, and death, though (Sombra, Aramaspi, yak war, Changeling x Zebrabpony refugee war)

I'm not opposed but I just cant see it happening, I mean yes they will have to turn up the stakes to keep people hooked for a full movie rather than just 20 minutes, though with that being said it could quite easily have a dark side without being dark if you get what I'm saying

I remember originally watching the show out of boredom, and I found a kind of happiness from it. I really hope they don't make the movie to grim, because that's the reason I kept watching it. No dark or drepressing parts.

Darkness in anything is like Cinnamon: a spice you use just enough of to add some flavour to things.

Batman's a nice example. A relatively sedate, bouncy show without Tim Burton's gothic influence and you get the campy 'Brave and the Bold'. Add in a bit and you get 'The Animated Series'. Add a little more and you get the Nolan movies.

Go nuts, you end up with 'All-star Batman and Robin', a strange book that has a scene where Robin is kidnapped then expected to eat rats, for some reason.

MLP is mostly fun and joy. Adding darkness ended up with 'Part of One', The Royal Wedding' and 'Lesson Zero' where genuinely surprising elements appeared and have been beloved ever since.

But were talking about tiny amounts of darkness. They're there to give the plot enough teeth to hook you in, something MLP:FiM doesn't need to do all the time. It's got comedy and adventure in there too. Though, darkness can then highlight issues that the magic of friendship, rainbow lasers, potatos or whatever happens could then attempt to fix. It would be bland if everything was all good.

Just as Pinkie would be dull if it wasn't highlighted how dependant on others she is or how nerotic Twilight can be. Or that there are insectoid creatures hellbent on sucking the compasson from you like a walking juice box. Or that a slight tweak to the timeline would result in all out war.

I'm for a little spice in the show. Just not too much.'m not lookng to have a Darkness Challenge again so soon after watching 'Man of Steel'.

• Brohoof 1

Darkness in anything is like Cinnamon: a spice you use just enough of to add some flavour to things.

Batman's a nice example. A relatively sedate, bouncy show without Tim Burton's gothic influence and you get the campy 'Brave and the Bold'. Add in a bit and you get 'The Animated Series'. Add a little more and you get the Nolan movies.

Go nuts, you end up with 'All-star Batman and Robin', a strange book that has a scene where Robin is kidnapped then expected to eat rats, for some reason.

MLP is mostly fun and joy. Adding darkness ended up with 'Part of One', The Royal Wedding' and 'Lesson Zero' where genuinely surprising elements appeared and have been beloved ever since.

But were talking about tiny amounts of darkness. They're there to give the plot enough teeth to hook you in, something MLP:FiM doesn't need to do all the time. It's got comedy and adventure in there too. Though, darkness can then highlight issues that the magic of friendship, rainbow lasers, potatos or whatever happens could then attempt to fix. It would be bland if everything was all good.

Just as Pinkie would be dull if it wasn't highlighted how dependant on others she is or how nerotic Twilight can be. Or that there are insectoid creatures hellbent on sucking the compasson from you like a walking juice box. Or that a slight tweak to the timeline would result in all out war.

I'm for a little spice in the show. Just not too much.'m not lookng to have a Darkness Challenge again so soon after watching 'Man of Steel'.

Basically I suggest that they go as dark as Rango or Zootopia, where it breaks the limits to interest adults, but not at the expense of kids. As in, a PG rating.

• Brohoof 1

Basically I suggest that they go as dark as Rango or Zootopia, where it breaks the limits to interest adults, but not at the expense of kids. As in, a PG rating.

So the balance of Comic Relief against horrible things?Hit the nail on he head there.

• Brohoof 1

Basically I suggest that they go as dark as Rango or Zootopia, where it breaks the limits to interest adults, but not at the expense of kids. As in, *a PG rating.*

If you make this movie PG, you pretty much deny entrance for the target audience that MLP was originally for. Where is the logic in that?

This is not a movie for Bronies and you can make it G to make it enjoyable.

• Brohoof 1

If you make this movie PG, you pretty much deny entrance for the target audience that MLP was originally for. Where is the logic in that?

This is not a movie for Bronies and you can make it G to make it enjoyable.

You're right. A PG film would alienate the audience of My Little Pony. PG ratings are given to much more mature films, such as this one:

MV5BMTQ1MjQwMTE5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjk3

But I see what you're saying. If you make it PG, like Frozen here, then all the two-year-olds can't get in. And as we all know, MLP is an educational show that teaches children how to count past five and use the crapper.

I'm not opposed to this at all. It feels like they've been limiting themselves for too long. Why stick to the "young girls" demographic when so many of the show's fans are bronies?

The new Guardians of Harmony toy line they're putting on shelves this Fall is an example of taking a step in the right direction.

But they do need to be mindful as to not destroy the spirit of the show. Equestria is a pure-even ideal place. I don't want Hasbro doing anything drastic like having somepony die on screen.

I'm not opposed to this at all. It feels like they've been limiting themselves for too long. Why stick to the "young girls" demographic when so many of the show's fans are bronies?

First of, we never talked about a young girls demographic. This was always a family show.

Secondly, this movie shouldn't be a brony movie. If the writers focus themselves too much on the bronies, this will fail.

• Brohoof 2

First of, we never talked about a young girls demographic. This was always a family show.

Secondly, this movie shouldn't be a brony movie. If the writers focus themselves too much on the bronies, this will fail.

First off, MLP's primary demographic is young girls-which greatly limits the series. Including "darker" plots in MLP movies caters to more adult audiences, such as bronies, whom are on average in their 20's.

True. It should not be a brony-focused movie. That would entail bringing in elements that might change the dynamic of the series, potentially for the worse. Hasbro needs to find that middle-ground that caters to both its primary audience and bronies.

Does that clear things up?

First off, MLP's primary demographic is young girls-which greatly limits the series. Including "darker" plots in MLP movies caters to more adult audiences, such as bronies, whom are on average in their 20's.

True. It should not be a brony-focused movie. That would entail bringing in elements that might change the dynamic of the series, potentially for the worse. Hasbro needs to find that middle-ground that caters to both its primary audience and bronies.

Does that clear things up?

I have nothing against the fact, that this movie pretty much should raise the stakes, no doubt about it. But i think it would be wrong, to just make this a full fledged action-adventure movie, because the MLP writers are hit and miss when it comes to that. If it was a mix of adventure and slice of life (meaning character interactions and maybe a bit of reintroduction of the characters) i probably could dig this movie.