Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

The only way the fandom can die is if every individual person of the fandom dies. As in, physically dies.
Otherwise the fandom will never die. It can grow smaller, or 'evolve', or whatever, but it won't die.

Unless your definition of "fandom death" is something less strict.

Actually I'm not trying to be a toll I'm trying to find YouTube channels that still have bronies and I am currently was thinking that. The youtube of bronies to do analysis and do commentary videos that for now was dead or have started with a different site I am trying to do brony commentaries and other videos myself. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

• Brohoof 1

Oh on the contrary... Considering my perspective of it... I'd say the fandom is just getting started as far as gaining an entirely huge fanbase. :fluttershy:

Actually I'm not trying to be a toll I'm trying to find YouTube channels that still have bronies and I am currently was thinking that. The youtube of bronies to do analysis and do commentary videos that for now was dead or have started with a different site I am trying to do brony commentaries and other videos myself. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

There are still all sorts of brony Youtubers still active... Dr. Wolf, Silver-Quill, KP, InkRose, ToonLink Reverie (or something like that)... Just to name a few I tend to watch on a regular basis... And there's still probably quite a few more I've either not yet heard of, or just am not having them come to mind at the moment.

Nope lots of people still love MLP and it still has a fan base.

Just look at these forums for a start, loads of people etc and the replies to the season 5 episode threads of people giving opinions etc.

Nope not in the slightest, I still see people with pony icons, making pony related videos, there's still plenty of artwork, it's just that it's become a norm of sorts in geek culture. It's just that the hype has calmed down that's all. 

No way man, it's just getting started if anything. It'll be around long after the show ends, it's a cultural phenomenon, things like that don't just die. I mean look at star trek and star wars fans.

Having perused the crowds of Everfree NW I don't personally think the fandom is shrinking, but I do think the demographic is changing. More girls, younger kids, and a larger crowd of more casual fans. The sort who wouldn't really have a reason to use forums, and will probably be over it in a year or two. So I think the fandom will sustain itself for a few more years, but be a bit more transient in nature.

• 2 weeks later...

At first I thought it may of just been that I had settled down into 1 part of the fandom but even after I went looking, I've come to the conclusion that the Brony fandom is no-where near as active as it use to be. Most of the brony youtubers have either gone inactive or have moved on to non-pony content, a lot of brony websites are dead, legends of equestria STILL hasn't been released. It just seems that a lot of the community has moved on, what do you think? Are bronies a dying race?

Those are good points but I still think we have a ways to go before I'd consider the fandom dying out. It may not be as popular as it was during seasons 1&2 but I want to think that there is still a lot of life left as we stand now. But those things you pointed out are interesting though.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

@@Gone Airbourne,

Maybe another way we can look at it is that the seasons 1 and 2 era was like the fandoms colledge years, everyones parting and releasing a heap of OC and everyone celebrating ect. and season 3 onwards is like we've graduated and settled down into a mature fandom :P

EDIT: 100th post!

Edited by Pone
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

Nah, we're not dying. I'd say we're just settling down a bit. We just had a popularity boom and are just coming down from it is all. Every fandom goes through something like this (The TMNT and Pokemon Fandoms are a good example). I wouldn't worry about it. We're still a big fandom and if Gen 5 is a great show, things will work in our favor (fandom evolution).

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2

No, I think the hype for the fandom itself has just gone down a lot. We had a huge boom over the past couple of years and that shot us into the mainstream but now that's happened, that feeling of 'newness' is not exactly there anymore. The fandom is still just as strong as ever, we just aren't all that new anymore.

• Brohoof 8

Popularity has not actually declined much. The graphs do show a spike in late 2013, which I believe was the super hype of Season 2 leading into Season 3 if I remember my history, but we've maintained a steady rate since then. We're just a mature and established fandom now, and see consistency for it, with less annoying and obnoxious hype over-representing us on the web.

As for the site/YouTube considerations, it's just part of the hype simmering down. Since we're no longer an especially 'intense' fandom we can exist without needing our own everything, like most fandoms like the anime fandom do. Creativity is still especially powerful in our fandom, far more than other fandoms. Fimfiction is one of the most updated fiction archives on the net, matching sites that exist for fanfic in general like Fanfiction.net and AO3.

• Brohoof 5

Why are these always coming up? People have been saying this exact thing since Season 3 and were still here at season five, the fandom's support helping the show get popular.

If Trekkies can endure long after the show that spawned their existence has ended in an age before the internet, why is it so in doubt that we won't now that we have that very technology?

• Brohoof 1

No, the fandom isn't dying; it's DEAD.  A zombie, in fact.  The fandom is a zombie.

You have your answer.

That's a joke right? No I'm completely serious I don't know if you are joking or not.

That's a joke right? No I'm completely serious I don't know if you are joking or not.

post-26550-0-95580800-1436403023_thumb.png

Yes, it's a joke.  The alternative would be that I genuinely think the fandom has become an undead, cannibalistic flesh-muncher.  That eats other fandoms.  This topic's come up often enough that I can no longer respond to it in a serious manner.

• Brohoof 5

attachicon.gifrainbow_dash___oh_you___second_by_cptofthefriendship-d4ehdfz.png

Yes, it's a joke.  The alternative would be that I genuinely think the fandom has become an undead, cannibalistic flesh-muncher.  That eats other fandoms.  This topic's come up often enough that I can no longer respond to it in a serious manner.

Well I wish I could say I agree with you there. What I mean is I always dismiss such notions as hysteria, but you know me.

b3nlZ.png

• Brohoof 2