Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

I do agree with you, because even though the fandom is not as pervasive or hyperactive (or "booming" for an accurate term), it is still active.

And its fanart and fans who still meet in groups is proof that the fandom is still alive ... at least perhaps for this decade. So it will make people saying that "the brony fandom is dying" irrelevant, because the fans' activities are what keeps it alive.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I would't say that it is dying, but it isn't nearly as popular as it was in 2012-2013. Since then, the population of the fandom and content coming out has stayed pretty consistent and the movie will likely draw a little more interest when it comes out.

23 minutes ago, LilyBloom said:

Would you say the my little pony fandom is dying? Yes or No? ( sorry if I put this in the wrong place).

No

• Brohoof 1

Hello, @@LilyBloom

Because this thread is discussing the MLP fandom, I have gone ahead and moved it to Sugarcube Corner- as it will recieve the appropriate attention there. Also, I have altered this thread's title to give it kore proper context.

Thank you.

(edited)

lol wasn't this question asked, like, a few weeks ago?

it's been dead since 2010

Edited by Whompy Whomperson

I just became a Brony so I'm as excited as I'm sure many of the fans were back in 2012.

Maybe it's just a 'been there done that' kind of stage. Something brand new needs to happen for it to be the thing again.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that it has gotten smaller since it started up, but it isn't shrinking much now. The initial hype made it very popular, but many of those fans have moved on, but after that initial burst, it seems to have stayed fairly level. People come and go, but it seems to be staying fairly consistent now.

If not shrinking, just calming down. There was a lot of creativity a couple years ago but there doesn't seem to be as much now. Or maybe it's just that people don't become as famous. We had The Living Tombstone as the top musician of the fandom but with him gone there's no one in that position. At least, not that I know of. You don't have anyone making a song everyone in the fandom knows but we still know Discord and Rainbow Factory from the early days.

Also, there was more of a "herd mentality" as I like to call it. Everyone was "proud to be a brony" and we had the anti-bronies as an enemy group for us to remain united against. (this all sounds really stupid as i'm typing it). With all this, it seemed like there was a bigger group and that we had to stick together as bronies.

But remember, the BronyCon attendance has only risen. I think if the fanbase was shrinking, it'd go down.

We aren't as loud anymore, but we're still here.

• Brohoof 1

Welcome to our weekly "Is the fandom dying" thread. Have a seat, take some popcorn and enjoy the show.

Seriously though, no. The fandom is not the hype thing anymore, that's all.

• Brohoof 3

.......... *sigh*

If I can have a word on this, I honestly I feel more that the fandom is turning into an hatedom.... the Mane 6 got a huge amount of hate since TWABA aired (or generally after the S6); II personally believe that so far the S7 did much justice to the characters instead, but a lot of people are boycotting them for no apparent reason. can't say it's all that episode's fault, but honestly seeing the six characters that made people becoming fans of this show in the first place getting hated because an episode that treated them like trash (or generally a season that didn't make much justice to them) just makes me sad. I just really hope that the S7 finale and the Movie don't get free panning just because they have them as main characters.... 

It's toned down, fo sho. I seem to remember back when I first joined, Call of Duty Bronies were a huge thing, like a sub-group of Bronies. Gamenut321 was a huge star, everyone clamored over emblem tutorials such as Rainbow Dash wearing an Assassin's Creed hood, Pistol Packing Brony vs. Obnoxious Teens was the funniest thing ever, and meeting Bronies on Xbox was like finding pennies in a parking lot.

That was fun. I miss those days.

• Brohoof 1

honestly, don't worry about the fanbase. I can't stress this enough. It will ALWAYS be around. My Little Pony is a 30+ year old franchise, and guess what- g1 fans are still alive and kicking. G4 is still ongoing, and its fanbase is still alive and kicking. If  g1 fans can make it through 30+ years, with their generation no longer being catered to, then I wonder what it says about g4 fanbase worriers, when g4 is still alive and well. Come on.