Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

Honestly this fandom will always be seen as 'creepy' by regular Internet users. So far the larger the fandom has become the larger the anti fandom grows. Eventually I think the whole fandom is going to implode on itself or atleast split into hundreds of microfandoms, probably sooner then later.

And yes I'm talking about the R34 war. It toke me 4 months to except R34 and before I excepted I wanted it dead and in no way to be connected to our fandom. With a huge increase in members joining the damson, most with the same veiws as my earlier ones, it's only a matter of time before some thing happens.

Edited by jarrod989

We probably had this topic before, but...

What are your guys' opinion on bronies still being popular in the media, and the population itself? Is it going up, or getting lower?

In terms of the media, I don't see a whole lot of brony stuff as it was when the show premired. I guess that was to be expected, though. Not a big suprise to me. The population... For me, i can safely it can be increasing because I read that "A Canterlot Wedding" was one of the best episodes, and the total viewership was about Half a Million! Critics also gave the episode very positive reviews. (Unless Wikipedia is being a big fat liar...)

Edited by Twi Rubix

I'd say it's growing in the media quite a deal with the documentary coming along.

As for Brony population I'd say we're slowly getting more and more numbers by the day, but we also getting more and more haters.

With popularity comes great hate. Such as my favorite show Futurama many like the show, but it's not mainstream enough for many to hate it.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

I'd say it's growing in the media quite a deal with the documentary coming along.

As for Brony population I'd say we're slowly getting more and more numbers by the day, but we also getting more and more haters.

With popularity comes great hate. Such as my favorite show Futurama many like the show, but it's not mainstream enough for many to hate it.

Whoa... documentary? As in Television, or the Internet?

Your right about the "Popularty=Hate" thing, almost every pony video on YT I come across, there is almost always a hater there.

Whoa... documentary? As in Television, or the Internet?

TV, and Internet too, hint hint.

Your right about the "Popularty=Hate" thing, almost every pony video on YT I come across, there is almost always a hater there.

Embrace their hate. For their hate only makes us more powerful and gain more number of fans! Mwahahaha!

Well in real life off the Internet someone is harassing you, then don't embrace the hate.

I wish more people would hate my favorite show Futurama, that way it'd become more powerful and gain more number of fans.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

I think that is definitely growing in popularity. I (and a host of others) are proof of that. I haven't been a brony since the shows inception(back when it still more of a meme than a dedicated fanbase). I orginally watched the first episode and didn't really get into it. It wasn't until much later that I saw so many pony related things on my facebook feed that I decided to give it another go. From there I got hooked and now I have pony shirts, merchdise, etc. Also, when I went to comic-con there was SO MANY bronies. The derpy toy sold out by friday. The my little pony panel was so popular that most people in line didn't even get in(but then again that's comic-con).

So long story short... Yes it is very popular!

I agree that the popularity has and will continue with MLP and the amount of haters of the show and bronies.I and other moose's are soon to come and join the bronies it's only a matter of time.

i think its inclining in certain media suck as music but other vids like the ones from MrPoniator are lacking due to the off season

also we have a good documentary on its way, the one being made by Saber Sparks and Palieo not that brony-con one good that one is just gonna be one big circle jerk and i'm not looking forward to it.

as for the brony population increasing or decreasing, we cant rely be 100% sure but i think it is increasing because its just an off season once season 3 kick off a people quit whining about there only being 13 episodes the population will increased again.

i think its inclining in certain media suck as music but other vids like the ones from MrPoniator are lacking due to the off season

also we have a good documentary on its way, the one being made by Saber Sparks and Palieo not that brony-con one good that one is just gonna be one big circle jerk and i'm not looking forward to it.

Huh? What makes you say that? The official documentary would be written by John de Lancie.

From what I've heard, he has a lot of experience from handling Star Trek fandoms in the past, so I expect him to come up with something good. I mean, not something like the in-depth look into bronies by Howard Stern. :P

I would most definatly say it is at least growing like a wild fire. If you can find a pony lover in a far off fourm such as a dragon enthusiast site, then you know the ponies are truly everywhere. The Brony fandom is receiving tons of publicity, even if it is sort of unwanted (Howard Stern anyone?). But I still think bronies are well liked, because the majority of the internet is apart of the brony fandom. I will admit, those who hate bronies are very vocal about it, even if there aren't very many of them.

Season 1 came, the fandom was born as a meme that slowly grew into a small fandom by it's end.

In that off season, we became known better.

Season 2 hit, and popularity sparked, increasing our numbers dramatically to I estimate to be the millions by the finale. (Due to the ratings the episode recieved)

This off season, the amount of bronies getting involved is slowed, but media certainly is picking us up and we are getting more investigators that are looking into the show we watch, making more bronies.

This Season 3... Season 3 will send shockwaves throughout the internet, and brony conversion rates will go off the charts. There will also be a lot more haters coming about, but more haters means more attention. More attention means more investigators, and more investigators ultimately leads to more bronies.

It's a constructive cycle that is probably going to keep spinning for a while, considering that they may do several seasons. There probably will be a cap in the future, when there are less and less people who don't know about the show and haven't taken their sides as hater, neutral, or brony, but right now, I expect there to be a brony explosion. *opens pink umbrella* Time for some chaos.

• Brohoof 2

Of course it's increasing! :D

I have seen many new members popping in who claim their friends changed them from haters to bronies. If you think about it, we've had quite a lot of new bronies come in. When season 3 comes out, news will spread across the internet, which will attract the curiosity of future Bronies and Pegasisters! When season 2 came out, we had the same thing. More Bronies.

As for haters, we have also had some haters who later joined the brony community. When season 3 news come out, haters might even check out the show. This will remove more haters. At least, that's what I think. :P

Haters gonna hate. But the population is coming up by heaps.

BRONY 4 LIFE

RECRUIT EVERYPONY YOU SEE, THINK OF OR EVEN LOOK AT. KEEP ON GOING ALL BRONY FRIENDS AND DONT EVEN REACT TO HATERS OR TROLLS. JUST GIVE EM' "THE STARE"

The popularity is increasing though, with that increase come more people to hate us. Also, population is going to increase. Some may leave but ultimately there will be more.

The popularity is increasing though, with that increase come more people to hate us. Also, population is going to increase. Some may leave but ultimately there will be more.

Although I agree that population will definitely rise, I have noticed a decrease in the number of haters on a number of sites/forums. Sure there will always be haters but hopefully, most of them are starting to get bored of hating on ponies and move on to other things.

I'm sure the popularity is increasing. Last summer I have never heard of the show, and this summer when I was at a 3 weeks CTY summer camp, I became friends with 5 other bronies. I'm sure its attracting more and more attention with its outstanding episodes, especially the season 2 finale.

It is slowly increasing but soon it will start to decrease and there will be more haters and less bronies

I'm not do sure, this will only happen if they really screw up season3.

It's growing more rapidly then ever if you look at things like the reddits growth per day ect , and more recently a lot of haters have been converting :P

Everyone is also very nice in general in the communities so there fun to be around causing growth in a new type of brony that doesn't even watch the show!

I don't think the question is if our popularity is increasing but at the rate of the rate which our popularity is increasing. I would be more interested if it's growing at a constant pace or if it's growing exponentially.

If you don't know what those rates look like, here they are

Posted Image

An exponential graph. I'm sure you guys know what a linear graph is.

Here are the possibilities:-

So basically in my opinion if the members over time graph is a exponential rising and our members over time over time graph a linear function, then I would consider that to be our popularity increasing.

Whereas if our members over time graph was a linear graph and therefore our members over time over time to be a constant, I would say the brony explosion is over but we are still fairly popular.

If our members over time graph was a constant and our members over time over time was decreasing exponential (I think) our fandom is dying down.

I'm sure you can see the pattern, so I'll leave it here.

This is how I would judge the popularity.

Sorry about the graphs. Blame calculus.

Edited by Bronium

I think it's definitely increasing...at least in my town. I can't go to the mall near me without seeing someone with a brony shirt. Lot's of people at my school have became bronies in the past few months (including myself). Though, that may be due to somepony playing "At The Gala" over our schools PA system during our passing period....

I do agree with the start of Season 3, the brony population will skyrocket again.

Edited by coastercrutchfield

I think it's increasing at a slow rate. I mean if the new seasons first episodes are great (and no doubt they will be) we might see a sharp increase in how many new bronies we will have. In the media were spreading like butter that has been warmed on toast.(meaning fast)

I just now came to process the one documentary comment. Oh man this could be good.

Our population is definitely increasing. Even on just these forums, the member count has DOUBLED since March. As said before, it's more of a question of how fast we are growing, not whether we are growing. Hell, I can't go anywhere in public without seeing at least one pony shirt or something.

As for our popularity, it is definitely growing as well. There was almost nothing about bronies outside of 4chan and brony sites a year ago and now we have been noticed by news station, made front page on Yahoo, have a documentary coming out, been mentioned on several talk shows, and more. Soon this will be manestream and I'm gonna have to quit! #hipster

(not really, I love ya'll too much)

Edit: Obviously, I won't stop being a brony but when season 3 hits, brace yourselves for some newfag chaos.

Edited by Twilie'Zorah

I think that the Brony population is currently increasing. Google trend charts are an excellent way of capturing how much “buzz” there currently is on the Internet. News articles, search volume, etc - these things are used by Google to try to capture an accurate picture of which direction something seems to be trending.

For the term “brony”, the Google trend is here: http://www.google.co...date=ytd&sort=0

Looking at that chart, it looks like what you have is a fairly steady increase with some month-to-month variation. Of course, there is no guarantee that this trend will continue, but I see no signs of any decline at the moment. (Ignore the last few spikes on that trend line. Without knowing whether they are long-term or short-term, we can't really rely on them for prediction.)

There is something weird though. Check out this Google trend for “friendship is magic”: http://www.google.co...date=ytd&sort=0

That chart tells a somewhat different story. While there seems to be an increasing buzz with the word “brony”, the show's title doesn't really seem to reflect increasing interest. But then there is another chart: http://www.google.co...date=ytd&sort=0

From that chart, it seems as though “my little pony” has been steadily increasing in buzz over the past 12 months. Steadily and somewhat slowly.

What I'm about to say is just pure conjecture, but I think that the brony community seems to be growing in popularity and population at the same time as the show itself is just increasing slightly in the buzz that surrounds it.

Ignoring all of these charts, I think that the growth of MLP forums alone provides a pretty strong indication that the actual fan base is growing as well. Who knows for sure though, only time will really tell.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 2