Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

9 hours ago, Ponynuke said:

Hello, I am Ponynuke I joined the fandom a few months ago because I love how ambitious the fandom is and how crestive mlp is but I must know, did I joined to late is it to late for me to be the brony I wish I could be?!

My Favourite Mane 6 Pony: fluttershy
How did you find MLP Forums?: A friend recommended
How you became a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: I found I enjoyed the show

Hello and welcome! :fluttershy: No, the fandom is not at all dead, I think us and this site a prime example! The brony community still creates content, we still have fan-created music, not to mention the conventions, etc. Don't worry, you aren't late. :kindness: I hope you enjoy your stay here and have fun! :squee: 

• Brohoof 2

Welcome to the forums! :D As everyone else said, the fandom’s certainly not dying, there’s still tons of fan content being created every day! :) 

And I don’t think it will die at any point in the near future either, I predict that as FiM starts to wrap up, we’ll see a lot more folks join the herd due to Generation 5 hype! :D 

So don’t worry man, we’re here to stay! Have fun! :P 

• Brohoof 2

Hello @Ponynuke,

I have to say that the fandom isn't dead. I will expand upon that in this post.

While things seem slow now, compared to the pony crazy of let's say 2011-2014. Many people are still around and creating content.
Yes, some people have jumped ship but they got replaced with new people who just happen to be less vocal about this thing.
A big part of MLP fandom was a fad back in the day. There were a ton of people who got into it, but they have moved on to the next thing.

This place is rather active still, and other less curated places as well. 

What really has changed compared to the pony crazy is the fact that you need to be proactive more with talking to people.
Back in the day people just hijacked entire comment sections and forum topics, just because they found a fellow pony fan.

Just be chill, and have fun. And you can be the fan you wish to be.

Hello, welcome, yea it's definitely not dying anytime soon, I think people are just thinking that because we're nearing the end of the show ;)

• Brohoof 1

The fandom itself isn't dead, but it did left a pretty large gash since the Everfree Network/Canterlot Hill's departure, which had significantly dwindled a large number of fanbases as a result of the livestream show's sudden decline.

I personally don't think so. Sure, we can't say we're going through the golden times of it. The show has gone very far, therefore many fans might have a hard time coming up with something original and creative, but this doesn't mean the fandom itself is dying...rather, I think it is doing just fine.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Vintjack Greasymane said:

I personally don't think so. Sure, we can't say we're going through the golden times of it. The show has gone very far, therefore many fans might have a hard time coming up with something original and creative, but this doesn't mean the fandom itself is dying...rather, I think it is doing just fine.

Personally, that's what I think too. I just wanted to hear what other say why it might be dying.

• Brohoof 1

The hype died down. I'm almost positive the movie would have done better had it released around S3-5. Also the underwhelming quality of the last couple seasons doesn't help much either

• Brohoof 3

Unfortunately, yes; the brony fandom is far past its prime (its prime being 2011-2013). While fame isn't necessarily what we should be striving for, our ability so sustain ourselves might be put into question in the future. I'm sure we'll be around for quite a while, but to be brutally honest, I think the brony community is only going to shrink more and more in the grand scheme of things. Generation 5 might bring in a new wave of fans, but I wouldn't count on there being a huge uprising like there was with Generation 4. If I had to guess, there will be a brief period at the start of Generation 5 where the brony community gains a fair amount of traction... but after a short period of time, it will start to peter out again. Like I said; Generation 5 needs to perform a miracle if it wants to be as big as Generation 4 in its glory days.

Will the brony fandom ever officially die? That remains to be seen... but I think we have quite a while before that happens. :grin: The brony fandom may be shrinking... but that doesn't mean we're dead quite yet.

• Brohoof 7

Oh yeah sure. The fandom dying is the reason why this forum has had tens of thousands of visitors and over 5 million posts. As well as a movie and 8 seasons going on 9. 

Brony club is fine. 

• Brohoof 3

Basically, anything that have a large popularity that suddenly slows down somewhat, is constantly said to be dying by doom-sayers. It' like that with online games, and it's the same with fandoms.

• Brohoof 2

16 minutes ago, The Recherche said:

Unfortunately, yes; the brony fandom is far past its prime

I agree with this, however I see the Brony fandom much in the same way as I view the Trekkies. The original Generation 1 maintained a cult following, but it was small and pretty sure it didn't include any men. Generation 4 has done far better so I wouldn't be surprised if we still have fans 30 years from now. the community won't be as active but it will still exist, and it will expand with coming show generations. MLP has proven a major success and of course some mistakes/actions that didn't recieve positive feedback occurred, but they can always learn from those and improve upon what already exists. It's very well possible that we won't care for Generation 5 as much, but there's probably a bunch of teenagers out there just ripe for the taking, and given a few years we'll have the pony equivalent of Kirk Vs. Picard at every convention.

• Brohoof 2

If I had a dollar every time someone panicked about the fandom "dying," I could probably buy myself a nice car. Definitely a nice car with a snazzy interior. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

For real, though, I've been in on this fandom since, what, 2011? Yeah, definitely 2011. The fandom has been dying for quite a long time now, let me tell you :laugh:

Besides, if the fandom "dying" seems like some life-ending tragedy then I suggest you find something to live for that's actually meaningful, mm'kay? Then again, it does make sense that one would be deeply concerned about ponies coming to an end if someone has their life built around that. Not a very smart idea now, is it? 

• Brohoof 7

I wouldn't say it is "dying" just yet, but it is thinning. Why? Well a number of factors:

• The "trendy" crowd has come and gone. Many people join a new fandom because it's new and exciting, something different, however many will leave after it's no longer "unique" or "cool" to like it anymore.
  • Many Faust loyalists have finally given up on the idea of her ever returning and finally ditched.
  • Fandom is just getting older and people are losing interest, a natural part of every fandom.
  • With Gen 5 around the corner many people who are flakes are just jumping ship because they don't want to even give change a chance.

I would say this isn't the death of the fandom but perhaps a new chapter or the point where the fandom becomes a little more niche.