Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

While I don't think that the fandom will ever truly die, its certainly been in decline for a few years now. But if the fandom does end up fading into obscurity many years from now then, I'll always remember a time when Lauren's ponies were queen!

• Brohoof 1

Is it dying? Why do we dwell on if it is dying or not? Let's just enjoy the time we already have.

Oh, come on. This is hardly the end of the brony fandom. It's only the beginning. Fan creators will be doing animations and fanfics years from now. There will still be brony cons, merchandise, whatnot. And let's not forget, there's always G5 on the horizon. MLP FIM has pretty much staked its permanent claim in the annals of pop culture.

1 hour ago, Octavia_Melody2 said:

MLP FIM has pretty much staked its permanent claim in the annals of pop culture.

I have to agree. I’d say that in five years, FIM will start popping in list of fine examples of animation

Dying isn't the right word, unless you mean we're aging and actually losing people because we're dying. A lot of people lost interest (myself included for a while), but they aren't dead to the fandom. They will always remember.

Just now, Nsxile said:

The gradual decline in the quality of the episodes from Season 4 onwards, season on season (apart from 7) is pretty much why.

I don’t think it’s because of quality. The business model for seasons 1 and 2 was in many ways far superior to everything following, since it ran like a regular prime time TV show, airing during the year and taking a break in the summer. Season 3’s brevity throttled the momentum, and through season 4 picked it up again, the year long wait between seasons 4 and 5 destroyed the influx of new fans. Now the seasons air over the summer, or are sent in syndication to other countries before airing live in the NA. Whatever reason it was that they started season five in April 2015 instead of October 2014, it was a blunder.

• Brohoof 2

So ever since we found out that season 9 is the final season and that G5 is gonna happen, there's some talk throughout the fandom of whether or not some will leave or some will stay. I'd like to discuss something about that.

MOST of us are here because of "Friendship is Magic", not "My Little Pony". Not alota us came from previous gens. Most of us became a part of the fandom because of this gen. Now people wanna leave before G5 wants to start. Can ya really blame them? G5 isn't gonna be the same as FIM! For better or for worse? Who knows? But it's not gonna be the same show. It's also a REMAKE, in a new world, where the Mane 6 come back in new forms, new stories, and new voices! We're not used to seeing Twilight as an earth pony, or Fluttershy as a unicorn, or Applejack as a cow. It's a new world, with a new story, but the same characters coming back in a different way, along with some new ones.

Of course, half the fandom wants to give the show a chance, and I don't blame them either! It might give them the same joys as this show did! However, if people wish to leave before G5 starts, we shouldn't consider it a problem. It doesn't mean they hate MLP now. I'm sure we'll always love our precious ponies, and maybe that's why they don't wanna give G5 a chance, because they're not the ponies they knew and loved.

So if you wanna watch G5, then I really hope you enjoy it! If not, it's been an honor having you in the fandom! :) Who knows? Maybe they won't leave the fandom - just not watching G5.

• Brohoof 1

Moving to Sugarcube Corner.

As for me, I probably will give it a chance. If I don't like it then I just ignore it and pretend it never existed. I will still most likely be around though.

• Brohoof 2

Everything has a beginning. That does not mean things will stay the same as they were at that time. A journey changes all. This generation may have brought us together but that does not mean that we should follow it into oblivion. Has G4 made you into pony fans or are you just G4 fans? Look beyond the H-Bro product and ask yourselves why you are truly here. Are we a seed of a tree or are we just a withered weed?

I’m staying. Gonna give g5 a chance. And I don’t see how leaving before g5 starts would mean that they hate mlp now. It just means they were only into fim and aren’t sure if they wanna give whatever g5 will be called a chance. The only way it could be them hating it is if they flat out insult the new gen or some shit.  

• Brohoof 1

My input on this is mainly.. When it comes to the current fandom, just because the fourth generation is ending doesn't mean "Oh no more show, time to leave for good!" That just makes honestly no sense to me, if you like the show, you like the show, don't decide to not associate to ponies anymore just because there isn't gonna be any new episodes anymore, in fact, when it comes to me, I will still be a fan of ponies even without the g4 show going on, the show has helped me make lots of friends, and ponies are just awesome in general, I honestly lost interest in the current show a long time ago, I keep up with it cause I would like to finish G4, and the episodes so far have been very good (some flops) but G4 has to end eventually or it will get stale like the other shows that have been going on for years. I will forever be a pony, even years after g4 is ended, even if g5 is meh.

On to the main thing here, I may give G5 a chance, I dunno how that is, I haven't really been looking into it, but will I check it out? Yeah, why not, I wanna see what they will end up doing with it, it's a new generation, they are using the same characters just like the characters in the current generation are basically characters from previous gens as well. If I don't like the 5th generation? Oh well, I still have lots of memories and connections with G4, just because the show is ended doesn't mean that I don't want to associate with ponies anymore, they will forever be a part of my heart.

And that's the main thing here, is just because g4 is over, doesn't mean the fandom is coming to an abrupt end, I keep seeing people saying that and people who want to leave and it's kinda... Really? If you like the show, the old episodes are still going to be there, they aren't going to get wiped off the face of the earth, and people can still make fanfics and stuff as well. If you like the show, cherish what it gave you, and re watch old episodes, it's not the end of the world that it's over. The show had a good lifespan, it's time for g4 to end, and the fandom to continue on. If you don't like G5, then you don't like it.

So yeah, I will give G5 a chance, and if it is bland and uninteresting, oh well.

• Brohoof 3

I'm staying in the fandom. The part about MLP G5 is that there's more to it that meets the eye so apparently what I really wanna know what the story is, which ponies, creatures, and villains are there gonna be, and a whole lot. There's a saying try at least once before saying I hate this and other stuff like that.

I know many fans are leaving the fandom for their own reasons, but there's no point in stopping them. It's always good to remember these G4 characters in your memory and your heart.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I really don't understand why everyone is stressing over this. MLP:FIM is a huge body of work. If G5 isn't as good, so what? It doesn't make G4 vanish from my hard drives and DVDs.

Exactly. Your reasoning that we'll always have the original G4 to enjoy is very similar to my belief that we'll always have the original animated Disney Films if we don't like the Live Action Remakes if we don't see them as good. Those LAR don't erase the animated films and neither will G5 erase G4. Wouldn't you agree?

• Brohoof 2

53 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Exactly. Your reasoning that we'll always have the original G4 to enjoy is very similar to my belief that we'll always have the original animated Disney Films if we don't like the Live Action Remakes if we don't see them as good. Those LAR don't erase the animated films and neither will G5 erase G4. Wouldn't you agree?

Exactly. If G5 isn't very good, that's no reflection on G4

• Brohoof 4

People are seriously leaving before G5? That is ridiculous. After the end of G4, we're on to a new adventure with new characters and who knows what will happen. I'm all for the unknown adventure we have waiting for us.

I don't know what to say, I think people should be happy with what we have and to give G5 a chance at least. We have over 200 episodes of the beloved Mane 6 and their friends, I think that's definitely sufficient for us, at least for now.

• Brohoof 1

The reason alot of people are leaving the fandom before G5 commences is because, well, we don't know how it's gonna turn out. Frankly looking at how FiM was in terms of production, there were some things that worked beyond Hasbro's control and they didn't like that. Plus, this is a phenomenon that will never be witnessed again in our lifetime. The way it was done, the way things came to be, it all just fell into place. Reminds of me listening to this song and how it brought me back of the golden days of YouTube as well as the internet as a whole and how I was a fortunate witness to that era.  

I expect the fandom will stick around long after G4 ends. And, depending on how good G5 becomes, who knows, the fandom just might get bigger. :mlp_icwudt: 

• Brohoof 1