Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should the show have concluded at the end of Season 5?

Rogue Ruffian

I realize this may seem like heresy, but before you bust out the torches and pitchforks and scream "KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!", let me explain:

I still enjoy the show, and am definitely still a brony. I merely wondered, after watching and rewatching the first 5 seasons, if it could have been wrapped up thoroughly and completely with finally showing Starlight Glimmer the error of her ways. She understands that individuality is necessary for friendship (which in all truth is the entire plot of the show), and the song at the end seems almost like a send-off. With the CMC finally achieving their penultimate goal as well, it seems like a satisfying ending (so rare in television nowadays) could have been done 

I understand there are multiple loose ends - the two main ones being whatever will happen to Discord and Cadence's baby. These could have been resolved easily in a series finale or, better yet, the various loose ends could have been uniformly resolved in the movie. 

I love MLP:FIM, but one of my major gripes with TV shows, especially US/Canadian TV shows is the epidemic of dragging shows far beyond where they should have called it a day (I'm looking at you two, Once Upon a Time and Stargate SG-1). It's a major reason I prefer anime, as many have a 26 or less episode total, and the story is able to be built understanding that limitation. Obviously, there are exceptions, but aside from the Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon series, I tend to avoid shows that go much beyond the 26 (or 52 for two seasons) structure. I gave One Piece a chance, but.....whoo, that's ridiculous. 700+ episodes? Come on.

This is simply my own opinion - if you disagree, do remember I am neither attacking you nor plotting various forms of evil machinations. I just think that with MLP being the amazing show it is, a proper and fitting ending may have been the way to go. I do not want to see it beaten into the dirt for the sake of pleasing the fans (let's face it, few fans are ever truly satisfied - most are whiny, entitled dunces - so why bother trying?) or, more likely, making more money. I know, capitalism and blah blah blah, but, this show has become literature. All good literature should have a quality, complete, and satiating ending.

• Brohoof 2

It could have, but that’s as far as I will venture. I would have been satisfied with that very heartwarming final montage, but with the fourth Equestria Girls movie coming soon, and the MLP movie after that, it would feel awkward, for lack of a better word.

Like the staff was just trying to wring any excess money out of a concluded series. Beating a dead horse, as they say. But in my opinion, it was for the better that they continued it.

The season 5 finale just created a new set of questions to answer. My main one: What happens to Starlight Glimmer now? On top of that, there is still an abundance of opportunities to see within the FiM universe.

I know others have their own ideas and choices, but I for one, would like to see Rainbow Dash join the Wonderbolts, or Scootaloo fly (preferably both).

I too don't want to see the show drop in quality, but I don't think it's taking that path. At least not yet. I think there is still the possibility of a gracious ending.

I picture the show ending on an emotional high note, going out with a bang. Some sort of major goal achieved, a proper salute to the ride we've been on.

The season 5 finale didn't really feel like that. It felt more like saying goodbye to a close friend you know you'll meet again. But my opinion is not absolute.

I don't know how this will go down. But I don't think I'll be let down.

• Brohoof 3

I am still on the fence about this question, If you had asked me this after the season 6 premiere then I would say yes a bit faster but after episode 3 and 4. I see a bit more potential in this season.

There's still to many things that need answered and much more to see and do. Plus, we would have had a really long break between the movie and the EQG movie.

I've enjoyed Season 6 so far. While I do agree that reaching a final end is preferable to dragging on until the quality drops and the show needs an "Old Yeller" moment, it's clear that there are still stories to tell in G4. 

And by the way, I am insulted by your final paragraph. I am a whiny, entitled intelligent person, thank you very much! :P

• Brohoof 2

Personally I think that It really could have concluded at the end of season 5.

I don't really necessarily see any major reason why season 6 actually needed to be made.

Plus with the shot of all the characters looking at the screen and at the audience at the end of the Cutie Re-Mark during the end of the song about how friendship can and has changed the world gives off a series finale vibe to it.

Also Equestria Girls could have easily ended with Friendship Games, seeing how Sunset Shimmer's character arch has gone full circle.

Personally I'd be a little upset. Aside from the fact that I didn't like the finale, there would still be some loose ends such as Cadance's baby, and being a Rainbow Dash fan, I'd be bitter if the series ended with her Wonderbolt arc unresolved, especially after the CMC finally got their cutie marks and Rarity expanding her business

Also I don't want the show to end without getting a Celestia episode, fuck that noise

Edited by Megas

I actually feel that it should have ended at the end of season 4

Not that I didn't like some episodes in S5 *doose Rarity ep's*

But I am getting the feeling that this has finally started it's downhill slide

Every season could have ended with the finales, they are all strong enough. And there was some issues left for Season 6 such as Rainbow becoming an official Wonderbolt and the birth of Shining Armour and Cadence's baby. And we had not seen how the CMC really react with getting cutie marks or seen Starlight's new reformed personality and reuniting with Sunburst. 

I think the series quality is high as ever and it is great getting new episodes regardless. And there is more than  plot relevant things that were and are left to be explored. Rarity and Pinkie only just got and episode together, Twilight and Rarity and Fluttershy and Pinkie still have not. We have not gotten an Celestia episode or seen Zecora's homeland or learned of the families of the main pegasuses. Many fan-favorites like Cheese Sandwich or the changelings deserve a return to the show and more characters should get solo songs such as Luna. There are plenty of new things to left to be explored. 

However it is a good thing all the season finales were strong that good end the show and I hope that continues this season. There also needs to be some questions left to be unanswered more to be raised this season since it is good to leave us wanting more and leaving story possibilities. It seems also more realistic, things do not get neatly wrapped up in real life, that is why originally Avatar the Last Airbender's second to last scene was about Zuko asking about his mother but we got no answer so we could still see there are stories left to be told. And if series should end the comics can always answer the questions like the Avatar comics about Zuko's mom.

• Brohoof 1

I realize this may seem like heresy, but before you bust out the torches and pitchforks and scream "KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!", let me explain:

I still enjoy the show, and am definitely still a brony. I merely wondered, after watching and rewatching the first 5 seasons, if it could have been wrapped up thoroughly and completely with finally showing Starlight Glimmer the error of her ways. She understands that individuality is necessary for friendship (which in all truth is the entire plot of the show), and the song at the end seems almost like a send-off. With the CMC finally achieving their penultimate goal as well, it seems like a satisfying ending (so rare in television nowadays) could have been done 

I understand there are multiple loose ends - the two main ones being whatever will happen to Discord and Cadence's baby. These could have been resolved easily in a series finale or, better yet, the various loose ends could have been uniformly resolved in the movie. 

I love MLP:FIM, but one of my major gripes with TV shows, especially US/Canadian TV shows is the epidemic of dragging shows far beyond where they should have called it a day (I'm looking at you two, Once Upon a Time and Stargate SG-1). It's a major reason I prefer anime, as many have a 26 or less episode total, and the story is able to be built understanding that limitation. Obviously, there are exceptions, but aside from the Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon series, I tend to avoid shows that go much beyond the 26 (or 52 for two seasons) structure. I gave One Piece a chance, but.....whoo, that's ridiculous. 700+ episodes? Come on.

This is simply my own opinion - if you disagree, do remember I am neither attacking you nor plotting various forms of evil machinations. I just think that with MLP being the amazing show it is, a proper and fitting ending may have been the way to go. I do not want to see it beaten into the dirt for the sake of pleasing the fans (let's face it, few fans are ever truly satisfied - most are whiny, entitled dunces - so why bother trying?) or, more likely, making more money. I know, capitalism and blah blah blah, but, this show has become literature. All good literature should have a quality, complete, and satiating ending.

The Inquisition indeed does find this to be heretical. :smug:

Anyway as to my opinion I would have to disagree. As said above there is so much left unanswered and so much left that can be done. Honestly I don't have a whole lot to say as to why other than there are possibilities that would not make it drag on and it is still quite entertaining.

I love MLP:FIM, but one of my major gripes with TV shows, especially US/Canadian TV shows is the epidemic of dragging shows far beyond where they should have called it a day (I'm looking at you two, Once Upon a Time and Stargate SG-1).

Now that is some serious heresy lol. With the addition of Claudia Black I believe that really did allow for it to keep going despite the Goa'uld being much less of a focus(And because Teal'c was still there). Though I did not enjoy the seasons about the Ori near as much as the previous(When Richard Dean Anderson left that most certainly made it less enjoyable same with the actor for General Hammond passing away. Sad as they also gave Hammond the same fate as his actor). Though after Atlantis finished and SGU came about it was time for it to die(Say what you wish, but I hated Universe so much).

Edited by Guardsman Moondancer
  • Brohoof 1

While I'm glad that it didn't, the show could have ended with the season three finale.  Or the fourth.  And I'm particularly glad that it didn't end after the season five finale; overall, I don't think five was on a par with four.  I'd like a finale I can feel good about the show going out on, and five's wasn't it.  Do right by all of the original Mane Six, close the curtains, and let everyone take a bow; that's essentially what I want.

...And a Rainbow Dash spin-off.  Where she flies around impressively while performing feats of heroism and general awesomeness.  A spin-off won't happen, but I'd take it if it did.  Hopefully the comics will long outlast the show, whenever the latter actually ends.

• Brohoof 1

They way that it ended would not have been a great show finale. You're right on the money that it was a good ending because Starlight got reformed, but I think that it wrapped up way too quickly and was too cut and dry to express everything one would want to express when a show ends.

I often think about what the legacy of the show would be if it ended with Season 3, at 65 episodes, like many cartoons do. In fact, this is why "Magical Mystery Cure" seems like the cap on the whole shebang, and is kind of the end of Twilight's major story arc. But, it was just a step along the path to a bigger, more complete, defined ending. The next step was Season 4, then Season 5, now Season 6, and slowly we come to a conclusion that (hopefully) is worth the wait.

The end of Season 5 was a big leap forward, but it wouldn't have made a good series ending. It's fun to think about these things though.

You're not wrong, as I've heard that the writers purposefully write season finales in such a way that it's ok if they mark the end of the series as with network television the show could be cancelled at any point. But season finales are also written in such a way that even though they're not true cliffhangers, at least not in the worst sense, there's enough to look forward to in the following season if it's greenlit. I too would rather the show end before it gets too stale, but for now I think there's enough going on to keep things interesting. Moreover, even numbered seasons seem to be more well received than odd number seasons, and while I'm personally quite fond of season 5, season 6 is off to a great start. The season 6 premiere is a tad underwhelming next to other season premieres, but the regular episodes so far have at least met my expectations. If it continues to work then I'm cool with the show continuing on.

• Brohoof 1

Could it have? Maybe. Should it have? No. Season 5 introduced two plot points that carried into season 6: Shining Armor and Cadance's baby and Starlight becoming Twilight's student. Had the show ended at season 5, those two plot points would have never come to fruition, which, frankly, would have been disappointing.

• Brohoof 1

The final shot at S5 finale gave a series finale vibe, which I suppose is for the case scenario they had to cancel FiM afterwards, which, as we all knew at the time, it wasn't the case (S6 and Legends of the Everfree were announced before that). I would've been satisfied, even if there were some unsolved loose ends, like what happens with Starlight afterwards, or not seeing McFlurry 

I definitely agree that the show needs to end SOMEDAY, but season 5 would have been a terrible stopping point. A lot of potential plot elements were introduced throughout the season, which would require at least another season to properly explore. Especially the finale, which adds a new ally to the group with lots of lessons to learn.

Trying to cram the baby, the CMC's cutie marks, AND Starlight Glimmer's redemption into one movie would result in a chaotic and unsatisfying mashup of plot elements that do not need to be combined.

I do believe that this season or the one after that should be the last. But season 5 left far too many plot threads hanging to be a good stopping point.

Now that is some serious heresy lol. With the addition of Claudia Black I believe that really did allow for it to keep going despite the Goa'uld being much less of a focus(And because Teal'c was still there). Though I did not enjoy the seasons about the Ori near as much as the previous(When Richard Dean Anderson left that most certainly made it less enjoyable same with the actor for General Hammond passing away. Sad as they also gave Hammond the same fate as his actor). Though after Atlantis finished and SGU came about it was time for it to die(Say what you wish, but I hated Universe so much).

Atlantis - it just.....it just tried so hard to be Stargate, and it just....wasn't. I think it would have worked as a completely separate concept. As a follow up to SG1, however, it didn't have that punch. Never saw SGU. I could see the writing on the wall, and didn't want to sour the memory anymore.

Thank you for everyone remaining civil - rare in Internetopia these days.

• Brohoof 1

I'd have been pissed if the show had ended with The Cutie Re-Mark. That ending was dreadful for a whole lot of reasons and it'd have been a real slap in the face if that was the last we ever saw of our colorful friends. By continuing the show, they have a chance to fix the mistakes they made in The Cutie Re-Mark and to properly redeem Starlight Glimmer.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner

Atlantis - it just.....it just tried so hard to be Stargate, and it just....wasn't. I think it would have worked as a completely separate concept. As a follow up to SG1, however, it didn't have that punch. Never saw SGU. I could see the writing on the wall, and didn't want to sour the memory anymore.

Thank you for everyone remaining civil - rare in Internetopia these days.

SGU *gets shivers down his spines* oh my that was boring and non senseical. But I dont think mlp is at this point yet especially seeing the episodes we are getting now, it still is giving us some great stories

• Brohoof 1

I have the unpopular opinion of believing MLP should go on for as long as humanely possible, to keep the fandom fueled.

But even beyond that bias S5 was not a good season to end on. An excellent season finale it was, but was not a series ending. There was no "bye" or "This is it".

• Brohoof 1

I have the unpopular opinion of believing MLP should go on for as long as humanely possible, to keep the fandom fueled.

I still would rather the show end and be renewed in a reboot than going on too long.

Like, look at transformers G1. They tried to keep that going for far too long and you ended up with stuff like the headmasters and whatnot. I like shows to go on for a good amount of time, but I feel that its good to reboot them at some point for a renewal.

But even beyond that bias S5 was not a good season to end on. An excellent season finale it was, but was not a series ending. There was no "bye" or "This is it".

Agreed. S5 was a TERRIBLE season to end on; it didn't end in a satisfying conclusion, it didn't feel like a wrap up.. the entire thing would have PISSED ME OFF if it was the finale because it basically ended on a question rather than a celebration of the mane six (Which, conversely, is one reason I think it was a shitty finale even if it was a decent stand alone episode: the other 5 were glorified cameos and it was a giant "twilight and starlight" episode when the series is about the group as friends: and despite the lip service, the episode more came off as worlds without twilight than worlds without the mane six as friends, given that you see the others together tons of times, like at the village in the changeling world, just Twilight's missing in all of them).

The episode ended more with a question (where does starlight go now?) than a conclusion.

First off, the Season 5 finale IMO was overrated tripe. It raised many more questions than it answered, skipped over many scenes that could have been their own episodes, and indulged in fanservice scenes that, although interesting in their own rights, slowed down the pacing of the plot. It would have been a very weak ending for the show and I would have lost some respect for the later seasons in hindsight.

I personally would like either this or a short Season 7 to be the last season. The movie coming up could be the series finale, and if they want to go on with it they could possibly reboot into a new series. Eventually, any long-running show will be worn down by time.

I know from experience that many fandoms outlive the show they're originally based around, especially in the age of the Internet, and even before that. The Star Trek fans, for example, were so strong even after the Original Series ended that they successfully mounted the campaign to have it back.

Hasbro can still capitalize on the fanbase even after the show ends through continuing merchandise and other media. If the same series runs indefinitely, you run the risk of having the crew get tired of it, even when they try their hardest and have nothing but love for the fanbase.

• Brohoof 2