Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could this be the finale of Generation 4?

P1nkiedank

Still, after the movie, there's still some time left out of the around five years of ideas for FiM, but that doesn't mean they couldn't end it and making a new spin off show with other main characters or a new plot with a different art style, like G3 made a couple of times. Who knows, we could see G4.5 or something, but that's nothing but speculation 

Probably, or at least I hope so. Don't get me wrong, I do like MLP, but there's only so much you can do after 7 seasons (I'm looking at you, Spongebob).

It's better they end it off being good, than have it milked dry.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it would end after the movie. They make too much money from that show. It is the most watched show on Discovery Family(those stupid animal video shows don't count) and is a billion dollar franchise. If they stooped G4 it would most likely stagnate their sales for a while until a new show comes out. If the movie is successful I would see Hasbro having the show go well into a tenth season even. Again it's a huge money maker for them, they will drag it out at all cost as long as it is successful, which it is.

I believe that the movie will be the finale to the whole series, though given its late 2017 scheduled release, there is enough time to squeeze in a 7th season between now and then, so the 6th season might not be the last.

I'm kind of conflicted on whether or not I want it to be a finale, though. On one hand, if they continue for more seasons, they'll run out of ideas, which leads to re-using plots, flanderizing characters, and/or shoehorning in new characters in a desperate attempt to keep the show alive (I'm looking right at you, SpongeBob and Fairly OddParents. You've both done each of these things.) Yet at the same time, I don't want FiM to end so soon, since I only discovered it recently (damn, I really should have hopped on the bandwagon back in 2011 or 2012, when the fandom was more active.)

Edited by everyoneknowsitsme

To be honest, I wish this is the last season, right now I'm in limbo, I have nostalgic feelings for earlier episodes, and I embrace new episodes, although my interest has been waning for months now. I feel I have lost the enthusiasm for Friendship is Magic, because the songs are not as captivating any more, the cutie mark crusaders have their marks, and the story is starting to feel recycled, MLP no longer feels fresh, and could have new possibilities, like exploring more of Equestria, and giving Celestia an episode, without these elements, it feels like drudgery, as new things are beginning to attract my interest. Ever since I have seen Zootopia on March 3, this film and it's world have had me enraptured, it may be temporary, but I do want more involvement in the rising fandom, including the furries, I have even begun to draw Zootopia characters, of course I need practise, yet I have enough enthusiasm to keep trying. I had this very same zeal for MLP after the first Equestria Girls movie, and it was a wonderful ride, so now I want to try something new, to explore more than just ponies and Equestria, still, I want to have that nostalgic sentiment for MLP, and reflect on how good it was, like Phineas and Ferb or Gravity Falls, they may be over, but the good feelings they left behind are priceless, now I want this for MLP.  

• Brohoof 4

I think it will be the end of FiM if the cards are played right, but not the end of G4, which is primed to run to the end of the decade. With the rumored GoH series on the horizon, I wouldn't be putting the wraps on G4 just yet.

Precedent has it that MLP reboots into a new generation every decade, thus the success of a hypothetical post-FiM series is what G4's longevity hinges on.

• Brohoof 1

I think it will be the end of FiM if the cards are played right, but not the end of G4, which is primed to run to the end of the decade. With the rumored GoH series on the horizon, I wouldn't be putting the wraps on G4 just yet.

Precedent has it that MLP reboots into a new generation every decade, thus the success of a hypothetical post-FiM series is what G4's longevity hinges on.

I feel like this would be the ideal situation. It feels like the current storyline is completing and it would be best if they wrapped things up soon (before the show drags on too long as other have mentioned), but the FiM world is too rich in history and full of interesting characters to just end right here. Perhaps they can focus on other characters, or begin to focus on another driving theme instead of the magic of friendship. Or maybe they'll make Starlight the main character in the next series, considering that, if the movie is the end, she'd only have been a main protagonist in FiM for one or two seasons, which is kinda short for a redeemed villain IMO.

• Brohoof 1

I would want a season 7 at least. Then the show can end with a movie. Before it does end with a movie, I would want a little more for stuff to be wrapped up with. I wanna know what happened to applejacks parents, maybe a few more episodes with just the background ponies like amathist star and a bon bon and lyra episode teaming up with maybe bulk biceps and two others to save the day! 

Edited by Twilight Frost

I don't think it would end after the movie. They make too much money from that show. It is the most watched show on Discovery Family(those stupid animal video shows don't count) and is a billion dollar franchise. If they stooped G4 it would most likely stagnate their sales for a while until a new show comes out. If the movie is successful I would see Hasbro having the show go well into a tenth season even. Again it's a huge money maker for them, they will drag it out at all cost as long as it is successful, which it is.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Even after the movie, the show still racks in so much profit that Hasbro will have to keep it going for a few more years before they finally decide to bring it and Generation 4 to an end, hopefully once they have Generation 5 ready and raring to go to pick up where Generation 4 leaves off.

• Brohoof 1

It probably is the finale.

Which is good, because there is so many series that go on longer than they need and others that just "die" in the middle.

But... i don't know if i am ready for the series finale yet.

On the one hoof, it feels like there's so much more to explore of the MLP world, and characters like Celestia and Cheerilee are in bad need of character development. In that sense, it feels like FiM is far from over.

On the other hoof... This is stuff I've been wanting from the show for years, and it hasn't really happened. I was hoping the Cutie Map would lead to a lot of exploration, and it lead to some... Just not nearly enough. It kinda feels like the show has gotten too comfortable with the status quo, and thus has stagnated. It feels like less and less is happening to truly keep the show fresh.

So I'm mixed. Part of me feels dissatisfied with not meeting the potential that I think the show can meet, and part of me feels like after six, possibly seven, seasons, we've had a good run and it's wise to end it before the well dries up even more.

A route they can take, is to make the movie feel like a finale, but they don't have to bookend themselves. They can leave things open enough in case they want to make more seasons, or a spinoff, or a gen 5.

I don't think the My Little Pony franchise as a whole will end. It's too much of a cash cow for Hasbro. I think at most we'd go five years before a new MLP-related thing started up, if not only one or two. And considering a part of me enjoys the gen 1 and 3 shows, I'll most likely be onboard.

I think it's possible that the movie will be the finale of the series, but there has been no confirmation of that, so at this point it's all merely conjecture. It's just as plausible that an in-universe film is in the works simply because fan demand for it is so high, helped in no small part by the EQG movies taking place in an alternate universe and being the only feature length films in the series to date. I'm sure when the first EQG movie was announced fans were looking forward to an in-universe film, only to feel trolled when it didn't end up being an in-universe film. I joined the fandom in 2014 though, so that's conjecture on my part, but by the sound of things it is a valid hypothesis. Anyways, I'm sure the EQG films have only made fans want an in-universe film that much more. I think they're alright films, but something about a feature length story actually set in Equestria sounds really appealing, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the 2017 film is being made.

Even if it does end up being the end for FIM, that says nothing about it being the end for Gen 4. There's still Equestria Girls and Guardians of Harmony to think about it. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Guardians of Harmony ended up being a spin-off/Sequel series, maybe the movie would double as a finale for FIM and a Prequel for GOH. Plus, I also wouldn't be too surprised if Equestria Girls continued on even after the ending of Friendship is Magic.

There's also Spin-Off media to take into account. I imagine the IDW comics would probably keep coming even a while after the series end.

Edited by BasementLuna
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

i believe it will end, then in a couple years or so, they will make gen5.

But does that mean we lose the mane six and others?

But does this mean we will lose all the mane six and other ponies if we move on to the next generation and will there be any sort of art change?

I'm starting to believe it will. The sales of the toys have started dropping lately... plus, like I've pointed in my other topic, aside my worries for the Mane 6, I feel the show has already told almost all the stories it had to told (we just need a Celestia episode). 

In any case, whatever the fate of the show will be after this Movie, doesn't matter to me, as it will be my de-facto series finale in any case.

I feel like they need to end it and develop a spinoff, or take the existing show into a radically different direction. The Gen 4 universe has the potential to become huge and self sustaining. It would be a waste to just stop here, or start over.

I feel like they need to end it and develop a spinoff, or take the existing show into a radically different direction. The Gen 4 universe has the potential to become huge and self sustaining. It would be a waste to just stop here, or start over.

That what I think should happen, let the show focus on another character and let them be the main character. I like the idea of the show handing the reins to Starlight and making it her show now, she reminds me of unicorn Twilight.

• Brohoof 1