Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you often feel yourself being socially awesome?

Invincible

I'll be honest here; i dislike dialogue with other people and will often avoid it like the plague. However, i seem to have 'trained' myself into making swift and smooth social deliveries whenever I'm forced into the role during work time or otherwise. I think i somehow made my co-workers think I'm very social and friendly.

I don't like being alone at all, in fact nothing could be further from the truth, but I'm not by any means a social butterfly and in fact perfer smaller crowds with quieter interactions.

What about you? Do you keep to yourself, or prefer the spotlights?

• Brohoof 2

I do keep to myself, however I can relate to that training you speak of. Sometimes I feel like I manage to make it seem quite smooth while being rather unsure myself. Therefore people may even think that I'm socially awesome while I'm actually somewhat dying on the inside. lol  :lol: 

• Brohoof 1

Oh, the conundrum...

I am purely an entertainer at heart; I've been a big ham since I was a bacon bit.  I feel a need to perform for others, and it's been a draw for me socially since I was old enough to talk.

Unfortunately, when I'm involved with more than five people, I also feel like my insides are made of glass and that every person there is throwing rocks.  

The way I combat this is with 'The Switch': When I'm just being myself, I'm me - no problem.  But when I know I'm going to be performing, whether for an audience or a group of friends, I just visualize myself as being on an actual TV program - then, I monitor every move I make with utmost scrutiny; every 'incidental' twitch, sigh and any other little fidget I do is ALL for performance.  Remember, SOMEONE'S eyes are on you at ALL TIMES onstage... though that tends to put me at ease more than worry me.

So, 'flipping The Switch' consists of tuning my mind to that particular self-visualization, and simply doing whatever seems funny or goofy enough to do - effectively switching from a privately-geared persona to a publicly-geared one.  The effort can be VERY tiring at times, but people seem to enjoy my weirdness, so I suppose I'm doing SOMEthing right.

Sometimes, just being in public can be a nervous nightmare - but I choose to have the guts to press on regardless.

• Brohoof 2

I ;like to keep to myself and tlak only when it is needed, though this has been changing the last 2 years, thank youtube for that. But I still dont like to take the front stage

It seems no matter what I do, I almost always come off as socially odd. Very rarely if a social situation arises with someone I am not accustomed to, I can get through it decently, but most of the time, I get stuck. That is also dependent on what the discussion is about. Small talk is something I can almost never do well, hence why I try to avoid random small talk with non-acquaintances. Probably not the best idea but I have a lot of social problems, which actually seem to get kinda worse the older I get.

• Brohoof 1

I'm the outcast. Even upon other outcasts. I would say I can handle conversation but the things I talk about or how I word it comes off as less than normal. From my other post, I don't like people much, how they all kind of do the same boring things. I like to think I'm different because I'm trying to be different or forcing myself to. I'm not much of a pleaser or boredom-curer, when spotted I immediately end the conversation. I'm weirder than the average weird.

It is... very confusing for me.

On one hand, I love talking to people, in fact, I love attention! When people dont talk to me as much, I get extremely lonely. Yet... I'm shy? I find it hard at times to carry out conversations, I actually panic, and resort to awkward humor, making EVERYTHING awkward :(. I also stutter a lot at times, and seem to struggle with strangers.

I guess I'm a bit of both! It could just depend on my mood. I love talking to people, but it can be very difficult for me at times. I am getting better though! :D

• Brohoof 1

Though I can be an "okay" socializer when I need to, I enjoy keeping to myself a little more.

However, being alone in general does not necessarily mean it will feel lonely. I work better and more efficiently by myself than with a large group of people.

I somewhat believe myself to be a social person. I always loved talking to people about whatever topic we talked about and I always look forward to meeting new people. But I do need my space, I sometimes have my moments where I want to be alone for a while.

Edited by Xylosian
  • Brohoof 1

It doesn't happen very often, but yes, sometimes! I'm great at keeping up conversations about things I love with people I get along with really well (I recently got my friend into the bands I listen to pretty much all of the time, and I could talk forever with her about them), but on the other hoof hand I'm usually not the one who strikes up a discussion. I can also be quite funny at times, or so I've been told, especially when I manage to think of a clever joke, or a quick quip that counters petty insults thrown at my friends and I. :P

I can talk to just about anyone, I simply choose not to. I also don't like it all that much because while I'm capable of talking with everyone I can also be awkward as hell. I like being alone or just with close friends. 'Socially awesome' is about as far removed from me as it's possible to get.

I can usually keep up a good conversation with a group, but one on one is a bit harder for me especially with someone I don't know that well. But again, I flourish in groups.

• Brohoof 1

Very rarely. I have a couple of personas and characters I can act my way into when required, like at interviews and presentations, but it's an act of necessity and not how I am naturally. It takes me a while to get to know someone for social interaction to become more natural. I have a hard time figuring out what to talk about if I don't know someone.

I feel like my social skills are becoming more polished the more I challenge myself out of my comfort zone. ^^ That started with taking a journalism class last year, and currently taking a public speaking course this semester. I'm much more smooth with my responses to people -- especially when it's unexpected (e.g. running into someone on campus). I'm more comfortable striking up conversations with random people and keeping them going. I'm learning everyday how to balance the reserved facet to my personality with social interaction and I've improve quite a bit.

• Brohoof 2

I can't say I've ever really thought of myself as being "socially awesome."  Like anyone else, I've had my moments.  But that's all they were: Moments.

There was a near-social-disaster that I miraculously avoided when I was delivering a speech for middle school graduation in front of the student body, faculty, and other adults in attendance.  I'd memorized and rehearsed my speech like a good boy, but I suddenly went blank and got stuck on one stupid line.  I believe it went something like, "And students...  And students..."  Followed by a pause; a pause that promised a small death of irredeemable social awkwardness.  You have to understand: I was terrified by the whole thing.  Had I been delivering a speech in front of only a classroom of my peers, it still would've made me quite nervous.

"And students..."  Then I pulled, from out of my ass, this ad-lib: "Sometimes forget their lines!"  I reached into my shirt pocket (wherein dwelt a life-saving written copy of my speech) and added, "But that's what this is for!"  The crowd laughed; I was relieved.  Also got to read the rest of the thing off the page, and people told me afterwards that they weren't certain whether I'd planned the whole thing or had come up with it on the spot.

On the spot.  My heart nearly exploded.

^ Socially awesome.  That's the one time that comes to mind.

• Brohoof 3

Im usually very silent and only talk to People, if they ask me something first.

But i tend to be way more open here on this Forums and feel more social here.

At the beginning i made free Requests for People from time to time and i also tried to help other Users.

So...im definitely more social in the Forums than in real life.

"Socially awesome"? Me? Nah.  Never.  I'm a regular Gaffey Gaffington.

But I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing.  As long as I know there's people who care about me and aren't mad at me, I don't mind being a walking faux pas, as I'll spend most of my time shut in my room reading anyhow. :P