Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fallout Equestria: Classic or Overrated?

TerminalObsession

Fallout: Equestria was a story I never heard about until I started doing research on the characters and source material it was crossing over to. Kkat took what he/she thought could be a cool idea and practically ran with it, questionable decisions I'm sure but I believe it played out well with how many spinoffs and continuations that stemmed from it.

A story that will live on as a classic. For others, some may disagree.

• Brohoof 1

Never read it, but based on the information that I got on the FoE Wiki alone, I'm into it. I really really REALLY want to get my own copy of Fallout: Equestria and Project Horizons. I really like the characters Littlepip and Blackjack. Then again, that may just be my bias opinion on both MLP and Fallout talking. :P

• Brohoof 3

I say it every time I come across any topic dealing with similar questions: I do not believe anything to be overrated. I am comfortable saying that since Fallout Equestria has an impressive sub-fandom of its own, it is one of the classics.

Whether or not individuals dislike Fallout Equestria, it is a major contribution to the fandom. Were it not, this discussion simply wouldn't exist.

• Brohoof 2

I tried reading Fo:E, but I quit after the fourth chapter. I simply lost interest in the character of Littlepip. It was getting too unrealistic for me at that point.

The fanfic get's better as it goes on, though I can understand quitting if you didn't like the early chapters. I found the early ones interesting enough to keep me reading, so maybe you wouldn't think the later chapters were better anyway. In my opinion it's probably the best fanfiction this community has ever produced, even if it's not my personal favorite.

If I could ask, exactly what about it was too "Unrealistic"? It's certainly not a Fanfiction I would call particularly "Realistic" but it's an enjoyable one nonetheless. 

I never read FoE but to me its not overrated. Its just like JanAnimations. The fanfic was great early on and that made it classic. Anything great from then on will always be overshadowed.

Me? I prefer playing the game based on FoE, LittlePip is certainly interesting though

The fanfic get's better as it goes on, though I can understand quitting if you didn't like the early chapters. I found the early ones interesting enough to keep me reading, so maybe you wouldn't think the later chapters were better anyway. In my opinion it's probably the best fanfiction this community has ever produced, even if it's not my personal favorite.

If I could ask, exactly what about it was too "Unrealistic"? It's certainly not a Fanfiction I would call particularly "Realistic" but it's an enjoyable one nonetheless. 

Well, I just thought Littlepip's reaction to her first and only friend outside being horribly murdered, and then being almost killed, was understated. I mean, she's lived in a safebox her whole life. She's likely never even seen blood or an injury worse than a scraped knee. And the very sky makes her dizzy at first.

Yet, when a sniper kills the cheese pony in a spectacular fashion, and almost kills Littlepip, her reaction is, and I quote, "A sniper!"

Well, I just thought Littlepip's reaction to her first and only friend outside being horribly murdered, and then being almost killed, was understated. I mean, she's lived in a safebox her whole life. She's likely never even seen blood or an injury worse than a scraped knee. And the very sky makes her dizzy at first.   Yet, when a sniper kills the cheese pony in a spectacular fashion, and almost kills Littlepip, her reaction is, and I quote, "A sniper!"

It's been a while since I read, so I don't entirely remember those early parts the best. I remember she definitely had some shock at the first death, but perhaps my mind is overstating it a bit.

I can tell you at least without spoiling much that she does get increasingly disturbed and messed up as the story goes on. I can remember quite a few break-downs of various kinds on her part. 

Edited by BasementLuna

It's been a while since I read, so I don't entirely remember those early parts the best. I remember she definitely had some shock at the first death, but perhaps my mind is overstating it a bit.

I can tell you at least without spoiling much that she does get increasingly disturbed and messed up as the story goes on. I can remember quite a few break-downs of various kinds on her part. 

Well, I'll give it a chance. It just stopped being interesting.

Well, I'll give it a chance. It just stopped being interesting.

I do think the first chapters are a bit rough in comparison to later ones, but if you were enjoying the earlier parts of the story before she got out into the Wasteland, I think there's probably a good chance you'll enjoy at least some of the later stuff. Like I said, I think it get's progressively better as it goes.

Don't force yourself to read it if you don't want to, but I'd say it might be good to try out a couple more chapters, see if there's anything there you like. It's never going to be the most "Realistic" of fics, especially with some of the ways it sticks to following the rules of the Fallout games, but the characters and the story get fleshed out quite a lot and are pretty great in my opinion. 

To me, Fallout: Equestria and following FoE: Project Horizons are two of the most inspiring books of my life. They've motivated me even more to finish my own series, and they themselves are quite..painful.

There is a lot of life lesson in there, about being generous, about the painful reality of a world that is stacked against you, about friendships and trust, about drug problems, etc...

There is a lot of sadness, particularly in Project Horizons. 

There are copious amounts of sex that is done in the right way to not make it overbearing

There is a lot of relationship problems

There is a lot of the things we may feel including self-doubt and morality clashes

They are definitely some things I'd recommend to people even if they don't watch MLP because of these things. 

• Brohoof 2

It takes a while to get going and thankfully it doesn't natter on and on and on like Project Horizons or repeat itself over and over like Murky Number Seven

It's worth at least one read, but after that...meh

I read it over the course of three evenings and overall liked it

Although I don't like the distant epilogue

Yet, when a sniper kills the cheese pony in a spectacular fashion, and almost kills Littlepip, her reaction is, and I quote, "A sniper!"

You might need to re-read that, pal. Monteray Jack wasn't killed by the sniper, a slaver was. 

I might sound like a purist here, but anything that is a cross between Rainbow colored ponies and a post apocalyptic future, that also has a guns involved, is something that dosen't work for me. It's a story, that you can make with any other franchise and is only famous, because it was the first mature MLP fanfic. If it came 1 or 2 years later, nobody would give as much of a pete.

And just to be a bit off-topic, EQD is promoting it on their site, eventhough Seth considers his site to be a family site.

• Brohoof 1

I might sound like a purist here, but anything that is a cross between Rainbow colored ponies and a post apocalyptic future, that also has a guns involved, is something that dosen't work for me. It's a story, that you can make with any other franchise and is only famous, because it was the first mature MLP fanfic. If it came 1 or 2 years later, nobody would give as much of a pete.

And just to be a bit off-topic, EQD is promoting it on their site, eventhough Seth considers his site to be a family site.

Well I am someone and I'd definitely care no matter when it came out. TBH I was rather distracted from the fandom's content all-together. I stuck to the show OR I watched fan things. Not both at the same time. I picked up FoE of my own accord, not because of a hype train, when looking for something to read, and since I didn't interact with hype-trainers, their bias didn't have any effect on me, and I STILL think its amazing. True, not 100% or even 80% original, and I guess it does sorta end like Fallout 3. The difference is that Fallout 3 to me was pretty emotionless while FoE, not so much. There was so much more relation in that game and so much more to development of character than what we got from the last fallout, to the point where I can only say bravo at improving something that may have been done worse by another guy :P

• Brohoof 2

• 9 months later...

Oh look! An old thread that no one reads! Better post my opinion so I feel accomplished today!

Seriously though, Fallout Equestria is an.. interesting book. It's definitely a mature read, and goes into a lot of interesting subjects. It does have lots of relatively unrealistic parts, but for the most part, I feel Littlepip reacts accordingly to everything going on to a new pony in the wastes.. By bottling it up and taking drugs. The story can seem bland and uninteresting at the start, but it definitely gets better the further in you read.