Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you could make yourself into an entirely different person, would you?

Buck Testa

So I have a question for you guys; If you could completely reprogram your personality and alter your appearance, would you actually do it?

In this theoretical scenario you would have complete reign over everything about what makes you you; Your appearance, your height, your weight, your energy level, your personality, your outlook on life, phobias or lack there of, every conceivable trait you can think of. Would you take that chance to reshape your body and personality? Would you change only a couple things, or would you craft a whole new you that would be practically unrecognizable from the previous version of yourself? Where would you draw the line of what to change and what not to change in such a scenario? 

For example; I suffer from major depression, some clinical grade anxiety issues, and Borderline personality disorder. If I had the chance, I would eradicate these aspects of my personality without a second thought. I would drag it to the proverbial trash bin, and then I would empty the contents and I would do so gladly. I'm also an individual who suffers from severe lack of energy (partially due to the above mentioned conditions). Being able to have the energy and the drive to actually do things would be an incredible asset to have. 

I'm being honest when I say if I had such a chance to craft a new me I would gladly do it without even a second of hesitation. 

Now you could tell me, "Well if you want to make that change then why don't you just do it?" 

I've tried, as have many people over history. I get some progress for a few months, I feel really good, everything seems to be finally looking up, and then that depression kicks in and those racing thoughts start yanking my energy down and before I know it I'm back where I started and even worse off besides. Those aspects of my personality and physiology are still there, they didn't go away when I had started improving myself, and when my determination had started to waver those same problems were ready to pull me back down to the lethargy that I've carried for most of my life. I don't want this low energy and warped sense of peoples intentions, but its not going away either. 

I'm not the only one like this either, far from it, in fact its so common its practically an epidemic. 

What if this hypothetical scenario was real though? What if you COULD reshape everything about you as easily as some character creation section on a video game? 

What if there was a way to give that morbidly obese man not only a ticket to a new and healthy body, but eliminating that eating disorder that had caused the obesity in the first place?

What if there was a way to give a person with a violent and deadly addiction to drugs a way to be entirely free of its control over them and entirely eliminate their desire to try it ever again?

Those sound great right? 

But then there is that old ethics question; Where is that line in the sand? When does it become ethically immoral?

If someone committed a truly evil crime, instead of sentencing them to prison time or execution, people could instead just reprogram him and "reform" him into someone who wouldn't do those things anymore. 

Still sounds good on the surface, but it also gives you that uneasy feeling like they are stepping over the line a little bit. 

Perhaps before you start in a line of work you'd have to conform to a "personality and physiology" standard that the company feels is optimal for productivity. All you would have to do is push the preset button and BAM you are the ideal employee...

NOW we are getting into creepy territory. 

See when I started this, I asked would YOU change YOURSELF if you had the opportunity. My answer is still very much a yes, there is a great amount of good you could do if you give people the reigns to completely change everything about them. 

However if that technology existed and the life changing implications were a norm in daily life, then would it not make sense that companies or even countries would want people to conform to the ideal requirements by this very technology? 

Once that is the case... are you even you, or are you just an idealized biological machine working together with all the other ones? 

There is certainly a great amount of good that could be done with it, but at the same time you have to wonder if that good is worth it. 

• Brohoof 2

It'd be nice to not have the traumatic brain injury, memory disorder, insomnia, and the organ, bone, and muscle damage from having been run over by an 18-wheeler.

Aside from that, no. It took me a long damn time to be ok with myself, I don't want to start over with a whole new body and mind to get used to.

I wouldn't hesitate. My appearance and my personality are responsible for my monthly thoughts on killing myself the best way. If i could change these two things that can't be changed, i could finally start to have a real life.

I have no ethical concerns either. If it makes people better and stops them to be eternal failures, why not? As a supporter of death penalties, i don't agree with alteration for dangerous criminals, but this rather is another topic. -.-"

Being faster. Not just running, but doing everything, like DC's the Flash. That's the first thing I'd change. After a decade or two it gets VERY tiresome to have people constantly complaining about this. I've tried everything except illegal drugs to fix that, and I don't want to be a methhead, so no to that last option. I'd want to be a likable chatterbox, too; someone who NEVER runs out of enjoyable things to talk about. In realspace, I'm quiet because life there is BORING and repetitive and there's nothing to talk about, NOT because I'm thinking about killing you. (If I were, I wouldn't have said that out loud, now would I?) Being able to convince people to buy anything would be nice too, that would solve the money issue overnight. And yeah, straighter hair and good teeth would help, but I get by without them.

I suppose eventually, if I reach the end of this long lifetime without making things better enough for myself, my final hope will be that the good I did while here will allow me to reincarnate in a better life-lot...please, let it be female next time...and with sane parents, please.

As to the original poster, for individuals it could be a good thing, but you're right, no corporation or government should have this kind of power and authority over anyone. If they gained it they would need to be OVERTHROWN and DESTROYED, not tried and jailed at the people's expense. No one here wants a planet North Korea, I'll wager.

All of us are changing and will continue to change throughout our respective lives.  With the constant support of my partner, I've changed tremendously in just the last couple of years.  I don't want the ability to magically and instantaneously turn myself into someone else.  Any virtues I might possess, I earned.  And hell: Any flaws were likewise earned throughout the course of my life and are mine to try and change.

So my answer's a straight-up "no."  I'll always be changing and, hopefully, growing.  It's up to me to make sure that I change for the better rather than for the worse; though I'll always have someone there to help me do just that.

• Brohoof 3

Heck yea I would. I would get rid of my ADHD, but my autism does have some positive things in it, so I'll let it stay. I would get rid of my social awkwardness so that I can have more friends, I'd stay a brony but I'd make myself better at hiding it, I would make myself a fintess nut and almost only eat healthy food, and I would perfect my hygiene. I'd also make myself able to consistently beat ZeRo with my PAC-MAN.

Edited by gamecubeguy214

I have thought about this a lot in my life and many times, I have wanted to be a completely different person, to eliminate my many problems and quirks. Thinking about it though, I wouldn't do it. I have many issues, things that I know aren't really positives, but those things regardless are part of who I am. I have a wonky brain which results in these problems, but it also results in positive things too. I think I have a quirky personality, I am very child like at heart and I really love the simple things in life as a result.

To me, self acceptance is a big deal. I think it is incredibly important. So I want to accept myself for who I am, regardless of the problems I have. Plus, there are apparently many people who like me as I am, so that is another big reason. :)

With the username of "Envy" do you think I could even possibly answer no?

Of course I'd take the opportunity. The opportunity to be more beautiful (or, more like, beautiful at all lol), to have a better figure (can't fit into anything these days. ugh), and most importantly, to be free of medical issues and disabilities. Also to be free of my disorders. Also to be naturally talented with music and performing... And to be able to decide on one instrument for good. Jeez, I'm terrible at that.

Also to be free from my gag reflex and being grossed out by everything, so I'd be able to eat like normal people.

• Brohoof 1

Do I want to change myself at all? No.  

Even ethically I feel that even with the ability to reprogram others and ourselves to meet socially accepted standards, we would be effectively stifling out the creativity and individualism that makes every one unique. A good example of this is with Starlight Glimmer. She created a society where everyone thought, acted and looked the same and it turned out to be a dystopian place due to the fact that our individual talents and flaws are what make up our unique personality and therefore enhance collective creativity and individualism as a whole. 

• Brohoof 3

Would I change myself?  OF COURSE I WOULD~!

The first thing I would do is change myself into a man, like I was supposed to be in the first place.  I'd make myself taller, maybe around 6'5"?  I'd be more muscular and stronger than I am now.  I'd like to keep my hair the way it is now, sure it's a pain but I'm still fond of it.  I don't really have any other physical issues with myself, except for making my eyes a vibrant green that would be so cool~ :wub:...

As for mental/emotional, well since I'd be a guy instead of a girl, I wouldn't have to worry about being trans anymore and having to deal with that pesky dysphoria.  So it might really help with my depression but beyond that I wouldn't really change much, mentally or emotionally.  I feel that I'm happy with the way things are, to be honest.  For once, I feel like my life is coming together, slowly but surely. 

• Brohoof 2

Do I want to change myself at all? No.

Even ethically I feel that even with the ability to reprogram others and ourselves to meet socially accepted standards, we would be effectively stifling out the creativity and individualism that makes every one unique. A good example of this is with Starlight Glimmer. She created a society where everyone thought, acted and looked the same and it turned out to be a dystopian place due to the fact that our individual talents and flaws are what make up our unique personality and therefore enhance collective creativity and individualism as a whole.

Starlight's problem was that her equality only caused negativity. Everypony there basically turned to me except from gaining a butt ugly face. They all became good at nothing.

If a people have a choice for themselves, they would only gain positive traits.

Now my bitterness might be speaking and i don't mean you with this, but i believe that everyone who totally disapproves equality, likes the feeling to be a better and superior being a bit too much and it doesn't matter if the "inferior" people have a very shitty life.

Edited by Swifty

Yes, i would change myself into a different Person because i pretty much hate myself.

And yes, even though i feel better and im not that depressed anymore, i still dont like myself.

I would change almost everything, a new personality, getting rid of my fear, maybe change into the opposite Gender since im unhappy as a male as well...yes, i would change everything.

Where is the line? ...i dont see any line. I think i have the right, to change myself...or do i not?  :ooh:

I mean, it wouldnt harm anyone...it could only possibly harm myself...so...who cares? My actual life is...pretty much boring and horrible, so...i have nothing to lose really.

Starlight's problem was that her equality only caused negativity. Everypony there basically turned to me except from gaining a butt ugly face. They all became good at nothing.

If a people have a choice for themselves, they would only gain positive traits.

Now my bitterness might be speaking and i don't mean you with this, but i believe that everyone who totally disapproves equality, likes the feeling to be a better and superior being a bit too much and it doesn't matter if the "inferior" people have a very shitty life.

However, in a society that values conformity. I believe that we would still trend toward that dystopian place  even if people were to chose their own traits. 

The thing with equality is that most of the time, it's a total farce. This is due to the fact that the process in order for equality to be established involves vesting most of the power a group holds into one entity. Oftentimes one who ends up being corrupt and thus worsening the problem you set out to solve. That's the beauty of the starlight ep, most people never think of that aspect of equality, that there is an inherent downside.

Edited by lynndx101
  • Brohoof 1

Hmm... that's an interesting topic. Time to write the most uninteresting answer!

I wouldn't like to change myself just because I'm horrible or smth. I mean, I am quite horrible, but there's another purpose.
Experience! Priceless experience at a price of losing myself and pretty much granting my remains quite a pitiful fate. 

So I'd like to test out a split-personality disorder, some phobias (nyctophobia, arachnophobia).
In physical appearance... maybe become shorter (like 1.5 meters high) and skinnier, completely ginger.

As for personality, I'd like to become more aggressive, more talkative.

Yeah, that would be a fun setup to test out.

No, I wouldn't. There will never be another me on the face of the planet -- so I would never give up what I see as the birth right of my unique person. There are facets of myself that I'm not particularly fond of, but those things can either be improved or changed. And what can not be changed was never meant to be, so I'd better learn to love it. :)

Not really. For the most part I actually like being me. :P

Not that a installing a mental program to encourage me to exercise more wouldn't go a miss XD

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't really change myself into a different person, but I would tweak a few instabities. Mostly just my temperament so I wouldn't be as quick to get annoyed at times.

As far as physical appearances goes, I wouldn't change anything. I'm pretty happy with myself. Maybe I could stand to lose a few pounds or maybe have a longer beard, but you don't need a machine for that. If it could make me a dragon or something, then Id change everything! :P

I would be fairly concerned about the technology as far as ethics goes. Mainly the personality part, the idea that technology would exist that could erase who you were. Because you could bet that someone would be trying to weaponize it or abuse it for national security purposes.

• Brohoof 1

I would change my physical form for sure.  It's so wrong and as things stand, it's impossible to fix it.  I might also make myself a bit less quick to anger.  Otherwise, I wouldn't change much, I don't think.  As much difficulty as I have with other people, I wouldn't be me if I changed much.  The only changes I'd make would be to make the me others see closer to the me I actually am inside.

There are a lot of traits about me that i dislike. First off, I would have myself become more massive and have it easier to gain weight. I'm currently a somewhat lanky dude with an inability of gaining weight.

My lack of empathy towards most people is somewhat of an acquired trait. I would prefer being more sensitive to people.

Finally, i would keep the rest of me as is. I was never happy with some of my problems, but other than what i detailed above i learned to overcome my shortcomings and even make some of them into my strengths.

I am very happy with how I am right now, so I wouldn't change anything. For some time, I've had low confidence, procrastinated a lot and was excessively negative about everything. After about a year's worth of working on those things, I feel like I've made tons of progress, almost completely eliminating them.

Of course, if you were to ask me a year ago, that if I could solve them as if I had a magic wand, I would've probably said...well, not sure, frankly. I always liked working on things on my own, to get that satisfaction of work. Could've said "yes please", could've said "no thanks". :P

I don't think so. Even though it would be nice to change certain things about myself, everything that I have has made me the person I am today. It would feel uncomfortable having to get used to being a whole new person.

Although... could I give myself the ability to know every language? That would be fun :P

• Brohoof 1