Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why were the Elements sealed away?

Slendermane

Why were the Elements of Harmony sealed behind the big shiny door? Why can't the Element bearers keep the Elements with them? They have to go to Canterlot and get Celestia to unlock them every time there is trouble? Just look at the Changling invasion. The mane 6 weren't even able to get to the Elements on time.

Here is my theory. The Elements of Harmony have so much energy, that a pony must not be exposed to them for too long. It could be that they can harm a pony's health or sanity, or that one element could take them over. What if a pony's entire being becomes devoted entirely to loyalty? Would they sacrifice themselves to keep someone from getting a splinter?

Or it could just be a precaution, because of how little is actually known about Equestria's ultimate weapon.

Well, i like your theory best, because even when they were locked up Discord still got them.

Two words: Princess Trollestia. B)

Nah, just kidding, I actually really like your theory Slendermane, it sounds quite, oh what's that word...

That's it Spock!

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Imagine if one of the holders derped one day and lost it...not only would that be embarrassing as hay, but if an evildoer got ahold of it, he effectively breaks the entire set, since it looks like they all need each other to function correctly.

Maybe they contain an unknown power that, if placed in the wrong hooves, could be used for evil purposes.

Like a "The Legend of Zelda" and the triforce? Seems legit, for discord, The elements of disharmony.

Radioactive Poweractive elements of harmony. Sounds legit to me. That and Trollestia seem to be the only to plausible explanations in my book, anyway.

It might be because they don't need the elements of harmony, since I'm made from them. They can just call upom me to use their power so they don't need to gather all of the elements together.

It might be because they don't need the elements of harmony, since I'm made from them. They can just call upom me to use their power so they don't need to gather all of the elements together.

What the buck?

On Topic: I cant think of a good reason for them to not carry them around with them, so Im going with your theory Slendermane

Out Of One's Element

The Elements of Harmony are probably locked away to keep the mane cast from using their power to blast belligerent bears, combust cocky cockatrices, dispatch disagreeable dragons, decimate devious diamond dogs, harm hungry hydras, mangle maddened manticores, grill grumpy griffons and pulverize particularly pesky ponies.

But let's admit it: that would be SO AWESOME! :wub:

• Brohoof 1

Out Of One's Element

The Elements of Harmony are probably locked away to keep the mane cast from using their power to blast belligerent bears, combust cocky cockatrices, dispatch disagreeable dragons, decimate devious diamond dogs, harm hungry hydras, mangle maddened manticores, grill grumpy griffons and pulverize particularly pesky ponies.

But let's admit it: that would be SO AWESOME! :wub:

"Why'd you call us all here, Twilight?"

"GUYS. Princess Celestia is visiting town today, but these birds won't stop eating all of the picnic food!"

"Don't worry, the pegasus ponies can just-"

"NO. HIT THEM WITH THE RAINBOW BLAST. NAO. EVERYTHING MUST BE PERFECT FOR PRINCESS CELESTIA!"

• Brohoof 1

Why were the EoH in the middle of the Ever Free Forest in the second episode? Shouldn't they have been with Celestia because she and Luna were their recent wielders.

Also, the EoH are made of gemstones. I wanna see Spike eat them just for the fun of it.

I will answer this with a counter question, why do you seal away nuclear weapons?

All joking aside. I believe it's because they wouldn't want them to be stolen. Sealing away their most powerful weapon, not only because it's a weapon but because it's an acnient artifact. A culture protects its treasures. To know they are safe is to know that they also have access to them when needed.

• Brohoof 1

At the very least it's a plot device. If the mane six use the elements every time immediately, there would be no story to write. It is generally considered bad writing to have your main characters have that kind of power at will.

While the in universe explanation is still kinda "Oh well"

Why were the Elements of Harmony sealed behind the big shiny door? Why can't the Element bearers keep the Elements with them? They have to go to Canterlot and get Celestia to unlock them every time there is trouble? Just look at the Changling invasion. The mane 6 weren't even able to get to the Elements on time. Here is my theory. The Elements of Harmony have so much energy, that a pony must not be exposed to them for too long. It could be that they can harm a pony's health or sanity, or that one element could take them over. What if a pony's entire being becomes devoted entirely to loyalty? Would they sacrifice themselves to keep someone from getting a splinter? Or it could just be a precaution, because of how little is actually known about Equestria's ultimate weapon.

Yeah, that's probably it- who knows what the elements could be capable of if they were just left out in the open?

I'd expect for the same reason you seal away any other super-weapon. You don't want some random bad guy to be able to steal the most powerful weapon in all of Equestria, after all.

I'd expect for the same reason you seal away any other super-weapon. You don't want some random bad guy to be able to steal the most powerful weapon in all of Equestria, after all.

True, but as we've been told the elements are based off of certain emotions and traits. Loyalty, Honesty, Laughter, Generosity, Kindness and Magic. Not just anyone could use them for their power, because you need those traits, and certainly not bad guys who bare little to none of those traits :3

True, but as we've been told the elements are based off of certain emotions and traits. Loyalty, Honesty, Laughter, Generosity, Kindness and Magic. Not just anyone could use them for their power, because you need those traits, and certainly not bad guys who bare little to none of those traits :3

Yes, but if the Elements were stolen how would they be used to stop the villain? Such was the case with Discord, and we all know how that almost turned out.

Putting them in arm's reach of the common thief could turn out disastrous if somepony were to attack, even if the attacker isn't as powerful as Discord.