Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your general thoughts about Starlight Glimmer now in the clique for S6?

pony.colin

Still better than the Michael Bay Transformers movies.  And let's hope he never gets involved in the show.

That said, if they were going to use her to replace Twilight, they'd probably do it in the movie (assuming the movie will be connected to G4).  Hasbro's been pretty consistent with using cartoon tie-in movies to invoke major status quo shifts. 

And don't think this movie will be an exception, folks (that would be a fool's hope, if there ever was one).  The only reason Hasbro would ever agree to a movie is if they wanted to push a new toy, or line of toys.  And that means something in the status quo would have to change.

They made the michael bay transformers without any Status quo changes :P

@, cheers for that  :) 

Hell, we haven't even been able to properly gauge their dynamic with her, which I would think would be important for the writers to do, especially since we are expected to believe that the mane five actually trust Starlight now.

That's a good point that you bring up now that I'm seeing it.  I know the base of her entry into the current season is a under the tutor guidance of Twilight and that's the main general aspect that's presented. However, having SG interact and build relationships with the rest of mane ensemble could potentially open up some development and growing room for both her and everypony else. Depending on how they approach I understand. 

Starlight was completely in control of the situation, and gave up her desire for complete equality and revenge for friendship. We even know she expected a punishment, which could have been imprisonment or possibly even worse. She was prepared to be punished, taking the chance of friendship instead of a world where everything turned out in her favor and she would have been free of consequences. If anything, we should be angrier at Twilight for giving her some leeway, not Starlight. But even then, Twilight had good reason to extend a hoof. The most obvious being that if she tried anything else, she couldn't have stopped Starlight. Starlight was clearly superior in magical ability, but Twilight had the best magic of all, the magic of friendship.

Agree, a lot of what I also view the situation between TS and SG at the end of S5 and why I thought it was a well calculated move on Twi's part. Which is kind of like a bit or diplomacy being used here. 

I'm thinking of SG as you know, having built up this whole worldview of things post after feeling abandoned by Sunburst and to have built up the town and everything and staked her whole philosophy, ideals, identity, worldview, etc into it and to have sort of her callous revenge plans been stopped, but also coming to the conclusion presented by Twi that if her plans of revenge would succeed it would jeopardize the complete timeline of Equestria plunging everything into some form of a chaotic or supposed apocalyptic period (that apparently even Discord didn't even notice).

After all that, and being proven wrong about everything you believed in, you'd feel kind of lost I would figure. Somewhat in a state of limbo perhaps?  Maybe for SG? I guess technically it's still early in S6 to say a lot about SG since still waiting on seeing her develop more and with who. I guess maybe it would be closer to thinking of her like sort of 'dating again'. But not to get into romantics, but to bring in the analogy that having SG try friendship again with other ponies is somewhat the crux of the situation I see she's in. She no longer has her philosophy, her beliefs, her desires and goals must be reoriented to try something that she's been somewhat fearing to do, and that's really to make up new friendships. If Sunburst was really her last genuine friend than she's never really approached the idea of starting anew with others, or has been completely frightened to do so since then (rather than manipulate other ponies for her own gain). I guess the basic gist is, I feel there's a lot of potential avenues to explore with her, if they write her well.

I'm already quite thrilled about how Spike has actually somewhat developed over just S6 (which honestly, the poor lad has been in desperate need for the longest time), his interactions and assistance with SG and with Twi have enabled him to be a lot more mature about situations around himself.

I guess one of the questions that I would follow up with this general thread would be, how long would or should SG 'reformation' process last ?

I still do hope they touch upon Starlight's ideal of equality a bit more. It was an interesting concept, and the way Starlight turned friendship back against Twilight during the finale when she defended Fluttershy from the bullies was intriguingly dastardly. They kind of brushed by the whole equality thing. I personally would have loved for Twilight to explain to Starlight why Cutie Marks aren't a bad thing. That's the one loose end I've found at the end of the finale.

They made the michael bay transformers without any Status quo changes :P

The movies established their own status quo, but every movie did change that status quo by adding characters and killing off other established characters.

Edited by SBaby

I personally would have loved for Twilight to explain to Starlight why Cutie Marks aren't a bad thing.

I would really find it interesting if the show did try to cover this topic.  But I know why they haven't.  The reason is because if Twilight were to come out and explain the principles of Cutie Marks, then there's a risk that the show would delve into very complicated subject matter, questioning whether destiny is pre-determined, or something that can be changed. 

I would find this fascinating if a show like FiM were to cover something like this.  But Hasbro is likely afraid it would go over kids' heads, which is why it hasn't been covered in any real detail.

I love the idea of her becoming the Mane 7th.

So do I.  I think the reason so many people are apprehensive about it is because they're likely afraid of change in the show.  But something like this would probably be beneficial.  The reason is obvious.  Like it or not, the other members of the mane 6 (7?) have really more/less either completed their character arcs, or come to the point where there isn't much left for them to do.  Having this new character means we have a blank slate that can be molded, and ultimately can lead to another character arc, plus ideas for other episodes that weren't possible with the other characters alone.

What I would NOT want is for her to outright replace any of the other characters.  As long as that doesn't happen, I think it'll be fine.

Edited by SBaby

I really hated Starlight's redemption, as her backstory didn't really seem to explain the severity of her actions; and I will never be a fan of that, and I do hope she doesn't remain a big focus in the series.  That said, what they've done with her so far this season has been handled well, and they are trying with the character.  She could prove useful in helping to further develop Twilight, but I hope the main focus of the show continues to be the mane 6, with her having a smaller role.  Looks like they really want her in the spotlight though, so far.

I love Starlight Glimmer...But I will admit I have a bias...But I respect everyone else's opinions.

I don't mind her being Twilight's student though. Because it shows how far Twilight as come...Herself going from student to teacher.

But, as much as I enjoy seeing Starlight on the show...I don't want her to be Mane 7. I hope by the end of the season she becomes her own mare.

I don't have much of an opinion on Starlight yet. She was a good villain, and I like her backstory. But as a good guy, well we haven't spent a ton of time getting to know her yet. She does seem to have a good amount of personality, I just feel like I need to see more before forming an opinion.

If in the end of this season, she still completely obedience to Twilight, I will be disappointed. Her SS5 self is interesting, I want it still a part of her character (Discord without chaos is not Discord).

Starlight should be a rebellious student just like in comic book.