Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has MLP ever offended you?

Flutterstep

I have to admit it is so stereo typical. It offends me that everypony has one special talent which makes their cutie mark. I dont really like the idea.

The reason this show normally gives each character a stereotype is so each one won't feel too similar to the other.  If everyone was highly diverse it would make being highly diverse stereotypical in the show so setting each character with a stereotype it makes each one diverse. Kind of strange how it works that way.

I'm offended because Scootaloo hasn't gotten an episode since season 4.

All jokes aside, no. I don't see why MLP would offend anyone to a serious extent. Stereotypes can be annoying, but they're not that bad.

Nope. I hadn't have a issue with MLP. I can't think a reason why if anybody gets offended by MLP. It's the only cartoon that I find to be the least offensive in all of my years of TV.

As someone who used to watch Family Guy, I'm probably a lot more difficult to offend, especially given that MLP is way less offensive. I don't think I could ever go back to watching shows like Family Guy, especially since the humour in more recent episodes appears to have gotten worse IMHO, based on short clips I've seen here and there.

I suppose the IDW comic offended me a little with its portrayal of segregation in The Good, the bad and the Ponies, where the lesson appears to be that if you're of a dominating race it's ok to abuse the legal system to move the goalposts so that you can get what you want, while if you're of a dominated race someone else can pull that on you so you probably shouldn't try too hard to get ahead. Or maybe the lesson is simply that if you have power or are going along with someone who does, you can commit several felonies and not have to worry about jail time. Either way, it takes special writing for me to be against the mane six, but I do think there are racist undertones in that story arc.

Come to think of it, there is evidence in both the show and spinoff media that ponies do dominate other races, and that "harmony" really only exists between ponies. Why do various races seem to only live with members of their own species? Ponyville is easily the most multicultural town, and the only one I know of where other races can live, but they probably weren't accepted right away, at least based on the reception Zecora got when she first came there, and I don't see other races in other pony towns and cities typically except for the griffons during the Equestria Games. Why is Griffonstone a literal ghetto while pony cities are pristine? Why do the princesses hog the sun and moon cycle for Equestria when the rest of the planet needs the sun and moon too? Why did the Yaks outright refuse to so much as treat with the ponies until recently and insist on maintaining their borders? Why do the dragons wish to take over pony cities? Why do so many races hate the ponies?

After much consideration, I think this thread has more discussion value beyond just the show, so I've decided to move it to Sugarcube Corner.
  • Brohoof 3

Well, I personally haven't been offended by it. With one exception of course. "Slice of Life" was offensively bad.

The only thing (other than "Slice of Life") I could understand that someone got offended by was Derpy.

Now I am right confused, what's wrong with Slice of Life?

I think it is a bit silly to be offended if someone isn't specifically trying to anger you.  

However, there have been some episodes that made me very sad because the writers REALLY missed the mark and strayed (probably unintentionally?) into some really negative stuff.

For instance:

• CMC: the adults just let these guys bash their heads against the wall.  why didn't anyone tell them how important it is to practice, rather than to just try everything once?
  • Fluttershy: there have been some really bad moments where everyone has ganged up on fluttershy, when they know it makes her a basket case
  • Mysterious Mare Do Well.  UGH.  thanks topic for reminding me of this.  Lets not talk to her, let's just humiliate and exasperate her in front of the whole town
  • Over a Barrel: the Appalosans and the Buffalo would have worked it out...if the Mane 6 hadn't repeatedly sabotaged their diplomatic efforts.  

All four of those would have been fine if the mistakes had been addressed...but they were clearly not seen as mistakes worth addressing by the writers, which is why they are painful. 

Bonus:

• The nightmare rarity arc got really dark and graphic, and they really didn't need to show rarity in such a terrifying and explicit way.  they could have gotten the idea across without all that mess.  

I suppose the IDW comic offended me a little with its portrayal of segregation in The Good, the bad and the Ponies, where the lesson appears to be that if you're of a dominating race it's ok to abuse the legal system to move the goalposts so that you can get what you want, while if you're of a dominated race someone else can pull that on you so you probably shouldn't try too hard to get ahead. Or maybe the lesson is simply that if you have power or are going along with someone who does, you can commit several felonies and not have to worry about jail time. Either way, it takes special writing for me to be against the mane six, but I do think there are racist undertones in that story arc.

ugh, yeah, i forgot about that.  This thread is terrible!  i'm just reliving all my least favorite memories!  

It's all about perception. The writers might not have racism or stereotyping in their conscious mind but despite that there is always a chance that things can be taken out of context.

• Brohoof 1

The fact that they bowed to pressure from a very small but VERY loudmouthed group of SJW idiots and CHANGED the Derpy scene in "The Last Roundup" actually is the only thing that offended me in the whole series to date. Thankfully my archived version of the episode is the ORIGINAL version!  (Watermark free, too!)

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

Nope, never offended me.

Never even got me angry. Okay I lied, I did get angry, but in retrospect I was being an idiot.

It's not the type of show that means to ruffle some feathers or pop some monocles, although like many said some types the writers can screw up and have something with unfortunate implications or with a bad interpretation.

While criticizing bad writing is perfectly acceptable, I don't think a bad or poorly delivered moral will screw up a kid, considering that kids are smarter than that and their family, friends, and the world will ultimately be bigger teachers of morals and values than a kid's show. It's not an excuse to not write good morals and satisfying stories, but there is an limit to what fiction can do.

As a person of Chinese ancestry, I was pretty offended by the stereotypically dressed shopkeeper in Magic Duel. 

I'm kidding. I know, not very funny :P

I don't believe I've ever been offended by the show. I don't think I'm really offended by stereotypical portrayals (maybe unless it's like WWII anti-Japanese propaganda-level stereotypes), but some of them are so blatant that they more tend to show laziness on part of the writers.

There has yet to be anything on the Internet that can offend me, and MLP is no different in that regard. Even though some characters may seem stereotypical in one way or another, that doesn't mean they were made in order to ridicule people who may fit that stereotype. Fluttershy, for example, has shown on many occasions that while she's shy, she will still stand up for her friends if she believes she should. Those moments may not be frequent, but they're still there.

The way Manehattan and Canterlot are portrayed is done mainly to show their differences to Ponyville. Canterlot does it by giving a lot of weight to 'high society', and Manehattan shows the speed and frenzy of a big city. To increase the contrast the ponies are a bit more rude than in Ponyville, but I really don't think it's a slam against big cities like New York.

In short, I'd be highly surprised if they ever managed to offend me with anything.

• Brohoof 2

I've never once been offended by MLP. Not even close to it. I honestly thought my sister, who also loves the show and suffers from terrible social anxiety, would be offended by Fluttershy being portrayed as weak and helpless many situations. Nope. My sister actually loves Fluttershy to death, saying she relates to her so much. The show isn't trying to offend anyone. It's the public that wants to stir up commotion saying something is politically incorrect when really there's nothing wrong with it.

• Brohoof 1

Throughout the six seasons and running, MLP has never offended me in my views and opinions whatsoever.

For me, I'm not an easily offended guy. Even most things that would be considered highly offensive to other would be quite amusing towards me.

No, I haven't been offended by the show (or anything that I can think of for that matter). The show has made me cringe before, if that counts.

• Brohoof 2

No, the show is actually quite mild in abrasive content compared to the real world I live in. Over the years I've learned to not to be easily offended by such things, getting all in a huff over everything the world throws at you ruins the experience. If I'm going to keep getting out bed and doing this human life thing each day, I must have some positivity in life somewhere.

• Brohoof 1

The topic of My Little Pony offending me has never crossed my mind. In my honest opinion, if you somehow got offended by this innocent and genuine cartoon show, you need to do some deep soul-searching and get your life in check.

MLP is my gateway to unwind a little bit and not worry about all of the stresses of life for a 1/2 hour or so. I don't let it consume my daily life, so that is probably why I will never get offended by it. 

• Brohoof 4

What? No! Some innocent show can't offend me. Literally the only thing that is capable of offending me are parents saying that it's not ok for their kids to do something while it actually is, but I need to step up my game about the being offended department.