Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has MLP ever offended you?

Flutterstep

What history are you talking about? 

Not history so much in a character development sense as an appearance sense.  Most of the times she'd shown up as a background character prior to that episode, she'd been doing something silly or clumsy (dropping a number of objects on Twilight's head in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" for example).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Slice of Life was offensive.

How?

I get offended by political correctness. I don't think people should be douchebags mean to each other, but I think having to censor yourself for fear of offending someone is stupid, so it offends me that people got so worked up about the Derpy debacle that they refused to even have her speak again until "Slice of Life." 

As a separate thought, I used to wonder why pandering was such a bad thing until I started getting my friend into the show. She enjoys MLP, but she'll never be a mega nerd-level brony like me, so she doesn't know much about the fanmade stuff and all the popular headcanons. While I would never stop watching the show over pandering, I can kind of see how it might be a bad thing. I don't think it really affected my friend's enjoyment of the show, I just had to explain "Slice of Life" to her a little. I appreciate that the writers appreciate us, and that "Slice of Life" was a tip of the hat to us, the fans, but I can see how that might upset people who don't know about the fandom.

I also knew this kid who liked MLP until (I think) the season 4 finale with the huge DBZ-level fight between Twilight and Tirek. He suddenly thought the show was too "violent." I can see how people might think that, but I couldn't help myself. I rolled my eyes and said, "Too violent? Really?"

Other than that, I personally am not offended by the show. The way I see it, no one's actually trying to offend anyone, and if that happens by accident, it's my personal opinion that some people are just way too sensitive and need to take a chill pill.

Edited by PegasusGuard1337
  • Brohoof 2

Most of the times she'd shown up as a background character prior to that episode, she'd been doing something silly or clumsy (dropping a number of objects on Twilight's head in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" for example).

One could argue that all of those things happened because of the fact Derpy was mentally challenged. 

One could argue that all of those things happened because of the fact Derpy was mentally challenged. 

I suppose people were perfectly free to believe that if they wanted to, at least until Slice of Life came out and made it definitively clear that that is simply not the case.  But sure, if that was their interpretation before that episode, that was perfectly up to their own discretion to interpret it as such.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, if you are getting seriously offended (Not just ticked of or annoyed, like seriously offended) by a children's show. then you need to find something better to do with your life. 

• Brohoof 6

I am seriously going to re watch "Slice of Life" right after I post this. 

I don't really understand why it is so "offensive" to anyone. I could be wrong, I don't really remember the episode, thus my re watching of it. I will post again once I have finished. 

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, that episode with the buffalo seemed racially insensitive at best. Also, I think I've explained before why I found Muffin's first speaking role distasteful. Basically, I see it as playing the stereotype that people with strabismus are stupid. 

• Brohoof 2

After watching "Slice of Life" just now... I am still very confused as to why it is at all offensive. 

But that is me I guess... to others it may just be something in it. 

I have not been offended by any of the episodes so.. idk. lol. 

I also don't really get the whole being offended by Derpy's character. 

She is my favorite background character, and especially in "Slice of Life" she was adorable! Aside from Fluttershy she is the most kind hearted pony ever. She is genuine, which... is hard to find these days. 

idk. that's my two bits. lol

• Brohoof 2

After watching "Slice of Life" just now... I am still very confused as to why it is at all offensive. 

She is my favorite background character, and especially in "Slice of Life" she was adorable! Aside from Fluttershy she is the most kind hearted pony ever. She is genuine, which... is hard to find these days. 

I don't know why someone would be offended by it either. I liked it and I've been critical of Muffins's portrayal in the past.  Maybe, they don't like that she sounds different and is named Muffins in the credits.

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, that episode with the buffalo seemed racially insensitive at best.

Yes, because god forbid we have any reference to any other culture whatsoever even if it is a largely positive one that gave a good lesson about respecting others and compromise. We might as well also get rid of Zecora while we are at it.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't care for The Hooffields and McColts episode. The hillbilly stereotyping made me cringe so hard. It just gets so tiring seeing residents of the Appalachian area depicted as so. Then again, I'm from that area so my opinion on the matter can definitely be considered biased.

Honestly, it takes a lot to offend me, even shows like South park, family Guy, and Drawn Together don't offend me.

I guess I can laugh at nearly anything.

She is my favorite background character, and especially in "Slice of Life" she was adorable! Aside from Fluttershy she is the most kind hearted pony ever. She is genuine, which... is hard to find

days. 

I agree, that is one of my favorite episodes, all the references, and especially the bit with cranky and Steven Magnet I enjoyed, I was laughing almost the entire episode! Not to mention how they made Time Turner/doctor whooves a cross between Doctor Who and Doc Emmet Brown from Back to the future.

"Great wickering stallions!" Still dont have quite the same ring as "Great Scott!" Though :P

• Brohoof 1

If you're getting offended by MLP you should probably recollect your life choices that have lead to this moment of offense. Along the way you will probably come across the point in time where that stick got lodged, and when you do, please promptly remove. 

• Brohoof 4

Yes and no. Has it offended me? No. I don't get offended easily. Has it annoyed me? Yes. Back when Bronies were just becoming a thing all those years ago; let's just say I was involved in the early flamewars on 4Chan.

Lipstick Pone! I'm also not a fan of Tom the Rock. Both are extraordinarily offensive!

Tommmmmmmmm!

Seriously though, no. While I completely get it when a art piece does offend someone, I save my vitriole for IRL moments that have an immediate impact on people.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm I don't know,I never found anything offensive on MLp (at least the show).
Excpet the episode of th dragons,I think they made female dragons not capable or at least a female cpable o ruling a entire nation of dragons,but then in the end she prooved it wrong So at first I was like "seriously" But then I was like "Ahhhhh there we go,that's good"

(edited)

The only time I was ever offended was with the episode "Over a Barrel" (the buffalo one a few other people have mentioned). Their lesson in this episode was about compromise and sharing. I understand wanting to teach children about compromise, but doing it during this particular episode was culturally inappropriate. It bothered me due to how it seemed to be referencing interactions between Native Americans (buffalo) and the European settlers (Appleloosa ponies). The lesson implied that if only the Natives were nicer and agreed to share with the settlers, everything could have been peachy and everyone would be friends. IRL, Native Americans "sharing" with the settlers only brought them pain and suffering, and to this day they are still struggling and barely have any space in their country to live and practice their traditions. Settlers in America committed atrocities against the Native Americans in order to gain power, fame, and wealth. Settlers came in and took the Native Americans' land. They took their religion and their culture. They raped them, murdered them, and gave them foreign diseases. I feel like a sensitive topic like this should not have been "Disney-fied" and given a simplistic solution involving apple pie.

I know somebody is reading this, rolling their eyes, and thinking "Wow this crybaby needs to stop over-analyzing everything. It's just a cartoon. Not everything has to be politically correct." To that I say, if you find it obnoxious to represent culturally-sensitive topics in a respectful way, you are behaving ignorantly and childishly. It's important to critically discuss what we put out there in the media, cartoon or not. Media reflects and influences our culture. I don't want misrepresentation and whitewashing of oppressed groups to be a norm of our culture.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 4

They raped them, murdered them, and gave them foreign diseases. I feel like a sensitive topic like this should not have been "Disney-fied" and given a simplistic solution involving apple pie.

You might have a point if they actually referenced any of that in the episode, but they actually didn't. The fight scene between the two groups was them throwing pies at each other, sure there was hostility between them but there wasn't any genocide stated or implied in that episode. The references between Native Americans and European settlers are there, but there were some very very obvious details that were altered to make things a tad more kid friendly. This is of course not historically accurate, but then again this episode was never meant to be in the first place. They could have easily have used references to the Israeli-Palestinian fiasco and may have even considered it, but that likely would have resulted in a backlash that made even Derpygate look like a walk in the park both due to how insanely squeamish many Americans are about religious references and how controversial a topic that matter is. 

It's important to critically discuss what we put out there in the media, cartoon or not.

Yes, but there is a bit of difference between that and pulling an Anita Sarkeesian and abandoning all common sense to needlessly divide people over messages and bigotry that are often not even there. You could stretch things to say almost anything is bigoted as this youtube user demonstrates in this parody video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_U9tVp130E

• Brohoof 2

Not as much the show itself as much as some of what the community has done. I'm so so so so SO sick of the "mentally ill people are crazy and dangerous" crap. It's everywhere, and it's unfortunately even made it into the brony community. Pinkie Pie and the whole "Pinkamena" thing bothers me. It's basically saying that if someone is paranoid and/or schizophrenic/psychotic, they're evil and dangerous and want to kill others. It's even worse when "hearing voices" is involved. I have schizophrenia and psychosis is beyond horrible, and I'm tired of people acting like people like me are dangerous and "insane", Yes, I hear voices. Yes, I've had hallucinations and delusions. Yes, I've been paranoid. No, I do NOT want to hurt anyone, I don't go around hurting people, I don't live in an "asylum" and I'd like to live my life without being stereotyped. I don't even like killing bugs!

And god, oh god, the post I saw with a fanfiction called "Asylum", about Twilight having schizophrenia. I read the first chapter and it was so disgusting that I couldn't believe anyone would write that. It was full of the stereotypes I hate; mental hospitals being "asylums" (FALSE), schizophrenics all being tied to beds (NO), them being hospitalized for years and years (my longest inpatient hospital stay was less than two weeks!), etc, etc. etc. What made it all worse was the fact that the person who posted it on the site said that in the story Twilight was "crazy" and I HATE HATE HATE it when people with mental illnesses are called "crazy". It's why I can't watch Futurama anymore.