Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has MLP ever offended you?

Flutterstep

The episode Non-compete Clause offended me by the way it was done. How a student could have lost her life because the two competing teachers never learned anything from Season 1 :Cozy:

• Brohoof 2

Yes. A couple of times. The whole Darin Do thing is massively offensive to me for the cultural implications.

The Fame and Misfortune one is very offensive too towards anyone that tried to criticize the show in any way or form including constructive criticism and feedback.

Fluttershy's social anxiety is treated sometimes as something easy to overcome by just believing in yourself and trying to fix the problem by yourself, but  i have mixed feelings about it, is not as insulting.

The entire Yakity Sax episode because it gives the approval card to being selfish even if you actually are making people miserable around you. Saying it as someone that always had problems with people blasting their music and partying from 10 pm to 4am every Thursday and weekends or randomly in the week in three different locations now and as someone that has insomnia and just wants to sleep after working 10 hours everyday without weekends.

Edited by Ittoni

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say offended, but:

"2, 4, 6, Great" and "Growing Up is Hard to Do" both rolled back multiple seasons of character development to get the story they wanted, such that it was downright jarring to see the lead characters behave as they did. The show is known for sometimes having a so-so track record with character consistency, but this felt like it was on another level altogether.

As an engineer, I've found it downright painfully stupid that they never even briefly explored the idea of Scootaloo trying out something like Apple Bloom's glider from "Call of the Cutie". She has plenty of thrust, but not quite enough lift - the solution there should be pretty obvious to anyone with even minimal scientific literacy. Fans keep prattling on about her scooter being kinda sorta like flying if you squint just right, but it was well established that Equestria has the technology for her to overcome her disability by way of actually flying.

Spoiler

Since I can't seem to go a week without bitching about it at least once.

The justification of bullying and hazing in Newbie Dash was the grossest thing the show ever did, and knowing they made the episode knowing it was shit, and knowing the implications and the criticisms everyone would have, the writers deserved to be raked along the coals for it

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

Probably Flutter Brutter, in terms of the most. I couldn't stand how it did the typical cliche of portraying people that live with their parents as total failures and slobs. It hit close to home in a really bad way. 

• Brohoof 3

Nah, I've never been offended by the show. There are things I strongly dislike about the show, like the school of friendship, but that's different than actually feeling "offended". I chose not to be offended by everything, because if I did, it would just take all the fun out of things. Plus, the show writers aren't even trying to offend anyone, so nobody really should feel attacked by it. It's just a fun cartoon of colorful magical ponies, after all.

• 2 months later...

I wasn’t even offended when Ted Anderson added a feminazi ponysona in a comic. Just disapproved due to favoritism reasons and everything, but not “IdW mUsT fIyAh HiM :angry:“. Nothing in the show did :proud:

Only once, my dear ponies.  Only once.  The letter at the end of Pinkie Keen.  The one and only time that the show actually did something harmful to real life.  I've spoken my peace on that.  I don't feel like rehashing it here.  If you want to, you can fish out my post in the episode thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Personally, no. Why would I be offended by a little girls' cartoon featuring pastel colored horses? That would be like if I was offended by kids' cartoon featuring a yellow talking sponge, who lives inside a pineapple under the sea. That just seems silly.

• Brohoof 2