131 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like the episode?

• It was terribad! >: (
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it.
    • IT WAS GREAT AND POWERFUL!!! <3

(edited)
When the F*CK did Celestia turn into a - and please excuse my choice of words - b*tch that is openly BORED by her subjects? I always admired that Princess, because of the way she treats the ones she rules over and how she is always patient and loving. But THIS? Her look basically says "Twilight. Bread can mold. What can you do?", and that's just not the Celestia I know. That's not the Celestia that we've seen all the ti- Wait a second. A thought just struck me like a lighting. What if the Celestia we've seen in this episode is NOT Celestia? We've seen a Changeling at the end of "The Crystalling". What if Chrysalis was somehow able to capture the royal sisters and take their places? Dear god, I have to make a thread for this!

Yeeeeeeahhhhhh!

Why not even show Celestia completely emaciated in a cocoon and telling Twilight with her last breath that she shall be her successor? That would be so dark and cool. The majority would like that and Luna fans would cheer, if Luna beats Crysalis.

Maybe you all ask the writers to do something like this, they will probably do you the favor. Now up to twitter. Larson, McCarthy, Miller and Haber will deem well of it.

I'd like to see something like that:

chrysalis_impersonates_princess_luna_by_

But god forbid. That wouldn't be fan pandering at all. :o

With Celestia on the other side...

Edited by Swifty

I didn't like it. Celestia was ridiculed (the 3 couldn't care less about her even though she's the princess of Equestria), Twilight was very annoying, and Trixie basically threatened to commit suicide in front of everyone at the end to get a new friend.

One of my new least favorite episodes of the show.

You forgot to mention the fact that they put too many "meme face" nominations and the very-not-friendly depiction of Mrs Cake. (It surprised me how rude her reaction was)

• Brohoof 1

DJ Pon-3

yesyeysyesyeyseys

Anyways, I really loved this episode, showing how even Trixie can change. Also, is it just me or does Trixie only have one "reflection" on the eye? You know, that weird white circle that other ponies have?

• Brohoof 3

DJ Pon-3

yesyeysyesyeyseys

Anyways, I really loved this episode, showing how even Trixie can change. Also, is it just me or does Trixie only have one "reflection" on the eye? You know, that weird white circle that other ponies have?

Yes, i was awestruck when twilight sparkle said djpon3!! that was so cool :D

The whole episode was filled with awesome to me though. But that was an incredable bonus that can't be forgotten^^

• Brohoof 1

Imo that episode was pretty dark. Trixie just tried to commit suicide.  :blink:

Idk, that episode was just somehow different...

• Brohoof 3

I thought this was alright, had a lot of funny gags and I loved all the expressions in this one - Twilight's smile to Trixie, Applejack's unamused reaction, Dashie's "YOU NEVER HEARD OF THE WONDERBOLTS?!" face...so many good ones. x)

It's good to see Starlight make a new friend too, and for Trixie to get a proper redemption. I wonder if we'll be seeing more of her in the future. :huh: Also, hooray for more Cranky and more Derpy. I love those two. :D

Celestia seemed a bit too unamused/bored though. She must've been waiting for Starlight for quite a long while. :P

• Brohoof 4

I liked the Episode very much.

From the non-fight Episodes, this was by far one of my favorites.

You saw character development, most of the Animation looked nice ( where in other Episodes, some perspective shoots look weird ), all the Characters i found to be annoying are gone for the most part, i liked the humor and my most favorite characters were in the Episode.

I loved it.  :squee:

Its my favorite from Season 6 so far.

• Brohoof 3

As far as the episode itself goes, I absolutely loved it! :D:yay: I mean, how could I not? Trixie finally gets more screen-time and, perhaps the slightest bit more character-development and filling since like season 3, and of course not to mention Starlight and her little interchanges I found to be a nice touch, being how she's still learning how to make friends, and, while Twilight's mistrust of Trixie was a tad OTT in places, but she did of course act in such a way only to try to shield Starlight from making such a rough first-friend choice... Granted though, I think had she made any other friend, there wouldn't really be too much to go on... Plus of course Starlight got to learn a huge lesson in how to handle somepony who, at first just seems to want to claim to "love" or befriend you or anything under the guise for using that pony for their own fulfillment and personal gain, rather than for the actual friendship and meaningfulness of being friends with somepony.

Anyway, I do however think that, while I quite enjoyed the little last filler bit with Cranky and Princess Celestia (who by the way, her relative silence through the scenarios during her screen time was just PERFECT! :lol: ), I do think the episode could've ended on a better note, and perhaps it may have in Equestria perhaps "behind the scenes", though I still would have loved to actually see the event unfold... Perhaps after the fact of when Starlight assisted Trixie at the end of her show, both them and Twilight could all return to the castle and attend the dinner with Celestia, in there which Twilight may then be able to display that she had essentially not only been able to touch the hearts of these ponies' for the terms of "making friends" and all, she could in essence have a chance to really allow Starlight and Trixie to both display how Twilight's actions and judgement had led to not only Starlight Glimmer making a "first friend", but the friend in whom she chose also having such a discovery. And no, I'm not saying this would be a better ending simply because it would look good on Twilight's part, but also simply for the fact that the characters would then also get to share about their feelings and experience now with making friends and whatnot... I think really if not for anything to see how Celestia treats the overall interchange with the two unicorns...

Anyway, just a little after-thought I guess. :twi:

• Brohoof 2

I get twilight (and a lot of ppl's reactions). Starlight nd trixie are just too much alike and lacking anything beyond wanting to make up for the bad they've done. Give these ponies some character!

I'd be pissed if I were Celestia too. For hundreds (possibly thousands) of years, I've been sitting on a throne all day, doing boring princess stuff. I get hundreds of subjects each day asking ridiculous questions or having insane requests, it has become monotonous and mundane.

I get the chance to go to a nice dinner and speak with a good friend and check in on the progress of a reformed pony. And I end up having to wait hours, and I can't even eat at least because not everyone is at the table. I got a break from sitting and waiting all day, answering questions I've heard hundreds of times before.. to sit and wait and answer questions I've heard hundreds of times before.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure Celestia was onto Twilight's case and knew those weren't Starlight's new friends, plus Twilight had a pretty huge ego and spun the conversation toward how a great teacher she is and not how her student was doing.

Yeah, I'm impressed Celestia didn't fly off the handle and was able to keep calm.

• Brohoof 5

Cranky's comment about Tia's mane was absolute gold, of course, as was Tia's annoyance.  It would have been nice if Tia had had a speaking role, but in some ways it kinda worked better having her be silent.  It did a better job of expressing her boredom and annoyance.  I noticed someone on here mention that it seemed out of character for Celestia to be annoyed, but I say that Celestia has had so little development, we can barely say what's out of character.  Having her show some annoyance is actually a little bit of depth for once.  She can't be perfect and pleasant all the time.  I thought it was great.

Having read your comments made me feel a little bit better about Celestia, and I was fine with her giving Twilight the I-really-should-send-you-back-to-magic-kindergarten look. But I would have preferred her not to seem so cranky at Cranky and the others in the final scene.

What would have worked better? Show the ice sculpture melted away more as before, but make it a wider shot showing a now-empty dining hall. Quick-pan over to the castle kitchen, where the four of them have decided to raid Twilight's fridge (with Spike's help, who would at least get a non-dialogue appearance to show he still exists) and they're all sitting around a small table enjoying cake while Spike cuts Celestia another slice. Celestia isn't seen as annoyed here, and then Cranky asks the question about her mane, eliciting a surprised look from her before it cuts to the credits.

Yeah, I like that better.  :)

But Trixie decides to try the Manticore-stunt anyways and...most likely die? In front of a crowd? Because she just lost a friend? Wow. Talking about 'extremes'.

Heh, now where have we seen this before? Hmmm.... Oh yeah - Starlight and her reaction to losing Starburst!

No wonder her and Trixie hit it off - they're both overly sensitive about friendship issues.

• Brohoof 1

That was a fantastic episode and Trixie really shined in it, it was great to see that none of the 3 characters were perfect and they all have flaws, Twilight not really trusting her student and then finally realizing she shouldn't pick and chose Starlight's friends, Starlight trying to make friends, but worrying what other ponies might think of her due to her past actions and Trixie still caring about Starlight, but at the same time having jealous tendencies over Twilight. Seeing Starlight and Trixie bond and become friends was great and I enjoyed that due to how similar they are. The faces in this episode were hilarious especially Applejack's and Rainbow Dash's. I loved the overall moral of the episode and the message and also enjoyed seeing Celestia apparently bored over having the dinner with Twilight. A fantastic episode all in all, 10/10!!

post-5578-0-03666100-1462123352_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-63849400-1462123361_thumb.png

post-5578-0-24300800-1462123366_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-20174900-1462123380_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-64428100-1462123417_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-45591700-1462123440_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-94099700-1462123452_thumb.png

post-5578-0-76066900-1462123456_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-09572300-1462123460_thumb.png

• Brohoof 9

Here's the nicest thing I can think to say about this episode:

"I like the spa ponies.  they don't try to manipulate everyone around them"

I'm really happy with this season so far.  5 good episodes out of 6 is a strong start.  

Trixie and Starlight?? I am not following or reading the plots of future episodes in advance and I once mentioned that I would love to see an interaction between both, and now here it is. I followed the history of episodes by this writer and I saw his  were from the episodes I was less interested in. And yet, this one, I loved the episode! It entertained me for the whole time, as a non-adventure episode without anything happening, I have not had a relationship episode I enjoyed like that for quite a while! I ship Starlight Glimmer and Trixie, these two new BFF's go so well together with their similarities! Although after watching the episode I have not changed my neutral-to-slightly liking behavior towards Trixie but I did start liking Starlight even more after this episode and after the Crystalling. This one shows imo some more development of her and is really making her look better than Twilight, considering how Twilight reacted to a pure and honest attempt of SG to make a new friend.

I was waiting SG to tell Trixie of what the former has done, I bet Trixie would be scared of Starlight! And I wonder if Trixie will learn, should we see them in another episode. Their relationship grew fast but there is nothing wrong - when they fit each other so well, it can happen quickly, no need to study one another. They should remain like that, though it is not typical to show Trixie as often as SG. I wasn't sure if initially the feelings of Trixie were real, so she turned out to be a bit more hostile than Starlight, I always thought SG was more, and SG was a lot more vulnerable, look at her feelings, her tears, I felt sorry to see her like that which is why I started liking her more, from compassion as she is trying hard to appeal to the other ponies.

Please, they have to make a gif of Pinkie licking the cake off Mrs Cake, no I do not have any dirty thoughts, I just found it hilarious as well as eating above her head.

Celestia - I was expecting her to say something at least for a while, I somewhat agree with the points above, she's been very.. passive.  Somehow I found it strange how the episode ended, they were waiting for the new friend all along, did 'the new friend' ever arrive, or hmm, what would be the next reaction of Celestia?

Celestia - I was expecting her to say something at least for a while, I somewhat agree with the points above, she's been very.. passive.  Somehow I found it strange how the episode ended, they were waiting for the new friend all along, did 'the new friend' ever arrive, or hmm, what would be the next reaction of Celestia?

I wonder if Celestia is having a rough time with that baby of Cadence's... 

I personally view small children as menu items, maybe she's a little "fed up." :okiedokieloki:

I thought this was another fantastic episode! Before watching this, I honestly wasn't keen on Starlight Glimmer being a member of the main cast, since I found it hard to connect with her compared to the others, and it's always risky to bring a reformed character to the spotlight. But this episode made me appreciate her a lot more as a character and gave her an interesting scenario to work with. It was also a great way of bringing Trixie back into the show. I wasn't expecting her to come back since fans weren't begging for it this time, like they were when she came back in season 3. They used her in a subtle but effective way to bring the story together, and I love the fact that she and Starlight are besties. It just works. 

All in all brilliant! 8/10. :)

Next episode is called 'Newbie Dash'. *gasp* *heavy excited breathing* DOES THIS MEAN WHAT I THINK IT MEANS OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG 

Here's the nicest thing I can think to say about this episode:

"I like the spa ponies.  they don't try to manipulate everyone around them"

I'm really happy with this season so far.  5 good episodes out of 6 is a strong start.  

Just out of interest which was the one episode out of the 6 you didn't like? 

Celestia seemed a bit too unamused/bored though. She must've been waiting for Starlight for quite a long while. :P

I'll bet. She was invited to Twilight's castle to see how Starlight was progressing, and with Starlight busy helping Trixie with her show, who knows how long Celestia was kept waiting until Twilight, Starlight, and Trixie finally showed up.

Hopefully, once Twilight explained everything, Celestia forgave them for keeping her waiting, and they still enjoyed the dinner together.

• Brohoof 2

What a great episode if not the. Eet episode of Season 6 so far! It's also one of the funniest episodes of the series too.

I loved the interaction between Starlight and Trixie! I have to say I'm a bit surprised that the show got away with the scene that made it look like Trixie was going to allow herself to be eaten. I'm sure the writers didn't mean to make it look like an attempted suicide, but given the 2 choices Trixie had to face, it gave off that impression.

You have to feel a bit for Trixie towards the end, because to her, Starlight was the first "true friend" and while, yes, she made a mistake with her manipulation, you can feel her regret towards the end and it had a great resolution.

• Brohoof 1

Given that I was on board with Starlight Glimmer since even the S5 finale, I was really disappointed by how uninteresting I found this episode to be. Starlight's most interesting traits aren't really built upon, Trixie is at her blandest, and Twilight is both unsympathetic and uninteresting. Meanwhile, multiple elements feel rehashed from "The Crystalling." Didn't enjoy any of the attempts at humour, either. Wrote a review on my blog (http://bit.ly/1VZMI57) where I go more into detail about the characterization here. Really disappointed by this after how much potential I saw in the premiere. 

Additional thoughts: 

For an episode which is ostensibly about Starlight, the bulk of its character development and thematic depth is actually focused on Twilight. The apparent focus on conflict between Twilight and Starlight remains way too tame and predictable to be all that interesting. 

Baffling to me that the episode has entire scenes based around Starlight's impulsiveness only to completely fail to address it in any meaningful way. Doesn't help that, aside from the speech spell, most of the impulsive stuff she does is pretty underwhelming. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say that this episode completely failed to make anything of the nuances of these characters. Maybe this kind of setup would be more satisfying if every episode didn't have to be self-contained.

I've been dissatisfied with Twilight's characterization for a long time, and even though a few recent episodes had given me some hope, this could very well be the last straw for me. I enjoy this character because I identify with her; I didn't find her even remotely relatable in this episode, and worse, I didn't even like her at all. Upsets me. 

My comparison between Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer isn't entirely fair, as Starlight is very much not Sunset, but although I do like that Starlight's approach to redemption differs a little, I'm still waiting for something interesting to be made of it.

I think it would be interesting if Twilight's attempts to adjust to the role of a teacher ultimately fail in some horrible way, but I highly doubt the show will go there. Now that she's learned to be hands-off in teaching twice this season, she's gotta actually remember it next time. 

I'm not bothered that Starlight is making jokes at all about her misdeeds, but at some point it just gets boring. If she's not gonna move on, and if she's not gonna be proactive about being a better pony, then at least make something interesting out of her guilt and character flaws. There's some irony in her commenting on how she used to be "evil" while still showing impulsiveness and a lack of consideration for others; I want something to actually be done with that. 

• Brohoof 1