Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls.. Guilty Pleasure?

JesseJack

The reason I fell in love with MLP:FIM is because of the way Lauren Faust developed it as a positive place where girls/boys can learn to validate the "feminine" characteristics of play, love, magic and friendship (see Lauren's forward in The Elements of Harmony). I feel like the Equestria Girls have rebelled against that initial goal by reinforcing impossible body images, romances, cat fights and pre-teen drama all for the sake of having a humanoid doll on the market.

That's actually a really good point.  I never really thought about it from that point of view.  See, personally, I was always just hung up on the lore damaging aspects of the EG franchise.  I've always been starkly on the side against the lore of EG, feeling that it damages and cheapens the FIM universe.  I always hated the idea of the ponies in high school.  The analogy I use is that it feels like Frodo and the hobbits go to high school, and Gandalf is the principal.  :eww:   Nonetheless, I've watched all three EG movies out of curiosity, and I'll admit that certain aspects of them are guilty pleasures of mine.  (For the record, I recorded them off TV.  I would never support EG financially.)  I enjoy many parts of the EG franchise.  It's cute.  And Shake Your Tail is one of my favorite and most adored songs of all time.

But I was so focused on the lore and continuity errors, I didn't consider that the EG universe kind of undermines the positive aspects of the FIM universe in many ways.  That's a good point, and I tend to agree.