Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Sub-Culture on Sub-Cultures: Real Life Superheroes

Fire_Fly

Sub-cultures have really been an area of fascination for me recently, and I wanted to see what everypony here thought about some of the sub-cultures I've been following for a while in a thread series I'm calling 'A Sub-Culture on Sub-Cultures'.

First up is a mini-community that I can't help but respect: Real Life Superheroes. In other words, normal citizens who opt to become costumed vigilantes who either work independently or with the law enforcement to clean up crime in their part of the world. Naturally, they aren't exactly welcomed by everyone with open arms...

Being a part of the Brony community, and being mocked for it on a few occasions, I know what it's like to believe in something that the "mainstream" world just isn't ready to understand. While being a superhero in real life might be a dangerous pursuit, I can't help but support these people and respect what they do. They don't do this for profit or fame; they do it because no one else will, and because they really believe it needs to be done. That dedication is rare nowadays, and they have my full support.

That said, it's discussion time! What do you all think about the Real Life Superhero Community?

I'd prefer that the aprehension of criminals was left to professionals. But if these heroes want to fight the other problems of society (littering or illiteracy for example) or just raise awareness of things (like the dangers of date-rape drugs in nightclubs, or how to stay safe on the streets at night) then I'm all for them.

I think it's awesome that some people do that. I can definitely respect what they do. The costumes may be a little too much. (except for the guy who wanted to stay anonymous. that just looked waaaay too cool :D) They should probably have some actual protecting clothing instead

They should, however, have an agreement with the local policeforce.

• Brohoof 1

I'd prefer that the aprehension of criminals was left to professionals. But if these heroes want to fight the other problems of society (littering or illiteracy for example) or just raise awareness of things (like the dangers of date-rape drugs in nightclubs, or how to stay safe on the streets at night) then I'm all for them.

Professionals seem to be saying the same thing, and for the most part, they do cover those things pretty well. It's been established that they're endangering themselves, but none of them seem to let it stop them. I've read about a lot of them actually sustaining injuries, then returning to vigilante work the minute they recover. I don't really think they should be endangering themselves by doing things at a professional level, but their conviction and determination are professional, at the very least, so I can't say I don't approve of what they're currently doing.

I think it's awesome that some people do that. I can definitely respect what they do. The costumes may be a little too much. (except for the guy who wanted to stay anonymous. that just looked waaaay too cool :D) They should probably have some actual protecting clothing instead

They should, however, have an agreement with the local policeforce.

A lot of these guys actually work with the police sometimes. There are people on the police force that have mixed feelings about it, there are others that hate the idea, and there are a few that think the idea, although dangerous, is a really effective way to impact the community. Even though not everyone on the police force approves of what they're doing, the do still offer support and protection to a lot of them, and I think that's a good way for them to get used to cooperation.

A lot of these guys actually work with the police sometimes. There are people on the police force that have mixed feelings about it, there are others that hate the idea, and there are a few that think the idea, although dangerous, is a really effective way to impact the community. Even though not everyone on the police force approves of what they're doing, the do still offer support and protection to a lot of them, and I think that's a good way for them to get used to cooperation.

Well the idea is good. The police aren't always able to get out to the crime in time, since you have to call them and they're often writing reports and stuff like that. We have a small organisation here in Denmark that works with the police, by going on small patrols.

Well the idea is good. The police aren't always able to get out to the crime in time, since you have to call them and they're often writing reports and stuff like that. We have a small organisation here in Denmark that works with the police, by going on small patrols.

I watched this entire documentary not long ago, and there was an actual situation where a few vigilantes called the police more than once. Officers were either too busy, or didn't take them seriously enough to actually help. What pleasantly surprised me was the fact that they were still able to improvise and find a peaceful and rational solution. If their dedication isn't enough to let authorities know they're serious, then their ability to find a way even when the actual police don't bother should at least count for something.

Reminds me an awful lot of a comic called Kick-Ass, which is pretty much exactly what is being talked about right now. It doesn't really sound like the safest idea to get mixed up with criminals though y'know.

(edited)

The problem is they are both ill equipped and not trained to handle a serious situation. I'm not saying that they don't inspire people to do good but there are better ways to help out there.

Edited by SrFrog

You also might be interested to know that the webcomic Something Positive is currently running an arc about real-life heroes. The comic's resident buttmonkey is experiencing a sort of redemption by trying to be a hero :)

(sorry, no linky as the comic occasionaly has NSFW content, but I'm sure you can do a search!)

The problem is they are both ill equipped and not trained to handle a serious situation. I'm not saying that they don't inspire people to do good but there are better ways to help out there.

I've always been a little confused about the collective motive behind this sub-culture, actually. I know, different motives, different people, but I wonder if the first few actually intended to just inspire the community, as opposed to finding a way to take matters into their own hands.

I've always been a little confused about the collective motive behind this sub-culture, actually. I know, different motives, different people, but I wonder if the first few actually intended to just inspire the community, as opposed to finding a way to take matters into their own hands.

I am sure most of them meant to inspire, however because they don't represent a collective trouble they just pass of as being half-crazy. Though, I do remember watching a documentary about Mexican Wrestlers who often protested and inspired people to actually do more by participating in the community. Of course sometimes Mexican Wrestlers are often seen as being more than ordinary people.

Since no-one else has posted it, have you seen the latest twist to this? A blaggard called Rex Velvet has appeared on the Seattle scene as a self-proclaimed super-villain!

Since no-one else has posted it, have you seen the latest twist to this? A blaggard called Rex Velvet has appeared on the Seattle scene as a self-proclaimed super-villain!

http-~~-//youtu.be/Ivkzosgyx-U

Besides promoting Phoenix Jones there's not much the man can do. Though you did bring up a good point, are there really so called super villains running around as well?

(edited)

Besides promoting Phoenix Jones there's not much the man can do.

I see 3 possible motive/plans

• Self-promotion: Rex is an artist of some sort and is using this opportunity to entertain people and get his work out there
  • Challenging Phoenix: There's been some controversy over Phoenix's methods, and allegations of pepper-spraying protestors. Rex is calling for accountability
  • Actual villiany: Hahahahah. Nope :)

I'm banking on the first one.

Edited by Pandy_C