Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Luna have a student?

Gamer_KM

I think it would be cool if Luna had a student of her own. Maybe the student could be specially trained for entering the dreams of other ponies as Luna does? You could possibly have a mini-plot where said student abuses the power of entering/influencing dreams? Maybe she becomes obsessed with the idea of ponies living in their own dream world where they can do anything they want, and she tries to put all of Equestria to sleep? To which Luna steps in and has to stop her own student...

It could present the famous thought experiment of Robert Nozick's "Experience Machine"; would you prefer to live in a fake (dream) world of bliss without pain, or would you rather live in reality?

Then Luna would explain how our dreams could never compare to the real world and the friendships we make, the experiences we share, and how our hardships are also a part of us and makes us who we our. And that living in such a false world would leave us feeling numb, meaningless, etc. We need hardships and real personal connections to make us feel alive and fulfilled.

(I mean, there is no universally correct answer here; it's really quite subjective too. I'm just giving an example of how the show might go about it.)

Like alha starwars that would be funny . You were the chosen one but you went to the dark instead of the light.

Lol, Nightmare Moon would be like Darth Vader while the student would be like Kylo Ren. XDDD

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Twilight Sparkle.

And then the writers should not miss any single opportunity to show where Celestia failed and sucked at teaching Twilight. To make Luna more relevant and Celestia irrelevant.

:sunbutt::orly:

• Brohoof 1

I think have a student or hell even students might be a good idea,  hell  having even teach a magic class would be neat with younger fillies and colts!  That would make a good ep.....

I think have a student or hell even students might be a good idea,  hell  having even teach a magic class would be neat with younger fillies and colts!  That would make a good ep.....

Magic classes in GENERAL would be nice.

Like, I seriously would have loved some episodes that were like Celestia's micro, focusing on the day to day running of Celestia's university, with teachers dedicated to specific subjects, ala hogwarts.

• Brohoof 1

The idea of Luna taking on a student sounds cool, however, I feel like she just isn't ready to take on the role of teacher. She is still learning a lot about herself and things from her sister as well.

Technically, she's already mentored the CMC in their dreams.

Exactly. Her teaching episodes were few, but the lessons she helped taught them were very important.

The idea of Luna taking on a student sounds cool, however, I feel like she just isn't ready to take on the role of teacher. She is still learning a lot about herself and things from her sister as well.

Well I think say like doing a kindergarten like class would make a good Luna Ep!  Shes dealt with CMC and helped them out so she can deal with young ones just it would be younger this time.  

Honestly, I think she should have a student! it'd be great for a character development on Luna's part, and the opportunity to involve a previous character once more or introduce a new one!

• 4 months later...

Awesome! Yes I think it should be Trixie, no matter how much I hated her in the other seasons. I think it would definetly add magic to an illusionist. (No offence, Trixie :please:)

Edited by Cocoa-sweet-Rarity

Starlight Glimmer should of been her student rather than working with Twilight. Twilight never used magic for evil, just needed to learn to make friends. Luna's journey is far similar to Starlight's, using magic to control and rule etc.

Could Luna act as a mentor to the changelings? I know Thorax will be ruling them, but Luna could be his mentor, helping him guide them away from dark and in to light like she had to do?

This way it's also similar to how Cadence has worked with the Crystal Ponies.

• Brohoof 1

I think Luna could do with having a student, someone she could guide down the path and ensure that they don't end up like she did where she was banished for a thousand years. Maybe Luna could get some pointers from Sunset since she is doing something similar with Sci-Twi where she has taken her under her wing and guiding down the right path.

Maybe a pony relative to her cutie mark. Like Moondancer.

Moon_Dancer_ID_S5E12.png

Moondancer is sort of like a clone of Twilight Sparkle and like Luna was isolated from the rest of society so they would be at a similar pace getting back.

I think it would be a nice idea... but they would have to give Luna a lot more episodes and screen time to really promote it and develop it out, and I don't think they seem interested in doing that outside of an episode a season. Would go a long way to putting Luna on more equal grounds as her sister, instead of just making her Celestia's little sister.

Celestia says it herself in the second episode.. they were meant to rule together... it certainly does not feel like it at times as the show currently stands. But that is me just nit picking low branches.

Luna isn't the only princess not to have a student! Look at Flurry Heart :confused:

Silliness aside, I'd like that to be a thing but not in the near future. We already have enough to deal with at the moment so it's better to bide our time before introducing the need for one for Luna.

• 5 years later...

Even though Starlight is Twilight's student, I think Starlight would be the best student for Luna. Luna and Starlight both have their disturbing pasts, they were both helped by the main six, and both are pretty powerful. Also, Luna said back in the season 6 finale "I see much of myself in you Starlight Glimmer, and I can tell you from personal experience, that things do indeed get better."

They are literally exactly alike, Starlight should be Luna's student.